Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Urm.... I have a 100% overbite, and i had braces and all sorts of odd contraptions to try and treat the problem from the age of 11-17. When the braces came off, the teeth were better for a while, but then now (aged 19) the overbite is back, and the teeth arent straight again.

I got mine done for free on the NHS, but if you're paying for it then you've got to consider whether its worth all that money for something which might just go back again

I'm going to have an operation too because my bottom jaw is further forward than my top. but i've only had my braces for about 8 months now and im going to uni in september. is it weird for people to have braces in uni?

ReputationRep:
    my friend had that done 2 months ago. shes fine now and happy with the results.

ReputationRep:
    I have a crooked that bothers me quite a lot, and it's especially obvious in photos. I've heard some horror stories about the sort of pain you'll be in post-surgery, and that's what scares me the most. I am really anxious to move to the UK from Canada, but I don't think I'd get covered by the NHS as a foreigner. I may have to stay here longer than I'd prefer!

ReputationRep:
    I think it all depends on how much it's affecting you. I have no personal experience of it (although I had braces which were great) but one of my friends had it done and is all the better for it. At the time it was pretty tough though, and her face was swollen for ages! But relative to the good it's done I don't think she regrets it one bit, she has straight teeth and it has totally transformed her face (she is quite a lot prettier now).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciara)
    I think it all depends on how much it's affecting you. I have no personal experience of it (although I had braces which were great) but one of my friends had it done and is all the better for it. At the time it was pretty tough though, and her face was swollen for ages! But relative to the good it's done I don't think she regrets it one bit, she has straight teeth and it has totally transformed her face (she is quite a lot prettier now).
    Wow... see I read anecdotes like these and it gives me hope. How bad was your friend's situation beforehand? Was whatever problem she had very noticeable or just something that only she noticed?

Nonetheless, I'm going to set up an appointment with my orthodontist today and see what he has to say. I know at least my mom doesn't think I have a crooked jaw issue. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    I hadmy top and bottom jaw broken in a similar method to previously described in this thread.
    You will be very swollen and bruised (the bruising tends to last a couple of weeks) but its not too painful (and they give you painkillers anyway) and its mainly just uncomfortable and stiff. You won't be able to open your mouth much to start off with (this gradually improves) which can make talking and drinking/eating mush(which is pretty much all you can have to start off with).

The main problem I had while recovering was craving proper food other than just mush but pain wasn't really an issue for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunchbox)
    Wow... see I read anecdotes like these and it gives me hope. How bad was your friend's situation beforehand? Was whatever problem she had very noticeable or just something that only she noticed?

Nonetheless, I'm going to set up an appointment with my orthodontist today and see what he has to say. I know at least my mom doesn't think I have a crooked jaw issue. Sigh.
    Well...she had quite a weird face, to put it nicely. I wasn't close friends with her at the time of her op but I am now, so I haven't talked to her about it all that much so don't know the technical details I'm afraid (although could find out if you wanted). Basically her jaw did look noticably odd and it affected her whole face. She still has some metal in her face as well I think. She had a fair bit of time off school for the op, and her face was really huge, it absolutely ballooned. It still looked a little puffy a few months after, but now it's gone down it's fine. She looks totally different to before, bouncers often question her ID because she looks so different! But her jaws all lined up now and she's a lot more comfortable and her face looks more natural. The surgery was a big deal though, I'm not sure if hers was more complicated than standard procedure but I'm not sure I'd go for it unless something was noticably wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's completely up to you whether you go through with it - they can't make you. I was offered this for exactly the opposite, my lower set of teeth go in front of my front set, but it's not that noticeable really. Unless it's restricting your eating/breathing/will wear your teeth down completely, it's essentially cosmetic surgery. If you feel that you want it changed and that it will make you feel better about it, then go through with it - braces aren't too bad, the operation is routine and although will be painful at first - completely recovers in a month or two. I know someone who's had it done and she's really pleased. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi ya everyone!

I had this surgery a week ago and its not as bad as i thought! i had my bottom jaw bought forward which involved breaking it in 4 places.

I have made a Facebook group about this so please feel free to ask to be added to it so you can take a look at my progress! if you want to ask any questions feel free to! I think its worth having if the dentist suggest it! They wouldnt other wise.

Suz

http://www.new.facebook.com/editphot...id=32354725939

didnt have it done...wish i did now..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanne Taylor)
    Hi ya everyone!

I had this surgery a week ago and its not as bad as i thought! i had my bottom jaw bought forward which involved breaking it in 4 places.

I have made a Facebook group about this so please feel free to ask to be added to it so you can take a look at my progress! if you want to ask any questions feel free to! I think its worth having if the dentist suggest it! They wouldnt other wise.

Suz

http://www.new.facebook.com/editphot...id=32354725939
    Hi,
    I've just joined today as I have malocclusion stage 2 and will need surgery to correct it. I clicked on your facebook link and tried to join but for some reason it didn't work ? I am seriously worried about it but I know I have to have it but its not for cosmetic reasons. I would be grateful for any advice, please.

ReputationRep:
    hi ive just joined the site and saw some of your post about jaw alignments ive had my braces on for nine years now and am due to have my upper jaw moved fowards in january i was just wondering if any1 has had this done and if they had any advice i wont have to wear the head brace am just geting the plates fitted behind my top jaw. thank you xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm having my upper jaw moved forward and my lower jaw moved back next December. I was going to take a gap year because of it, but I don't think it will disrupt uni too badly.

(Original post by Fran Katzenjammer)
    I'm having my upper jaw moved forward and my lower jaw moved back next December. I was going to take a gap year because of it, but I don't think it will disrupt uni too badly.
    Don't be too sure, I had it done and was signed off uni for 8 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I had jaw surgery in 2005 for an underbite. I'd had braces for 3 years before that. The surgery's obviously not that nice, but imo it is 100% worth it.

I had surgery on the Thursday and was out of hospital on the Sunday (although I had problems with anaemia at the time, so I might have been in a bit longer than normal, I don't know).

They tend to give you a lot of painkillers afterwards, which is obviously nice. There was a LOT of swelling on my jaw at first, which I hated, but if that happens, don't be too freaked out about it, because it does go down! And talking was very difficult afterwards, I could hardly open my mouth for week (living off build up milkshakes = not fun).

But yes, it is worth it. And I am 100% glad I had it done.

(Original post by loopykitten!)
    does anybody know anything more about the complications of this surgery? i have a quite sever under bite and will need surgery next year, however i really don't know if i want it because of the risks involved. I've been told that there is a 40% chance that there will be permenant numbness on the bottom lip and possibly down my cheeks. has anybody else been told this or is it just my orthodontist trying to scare me?
    I'm really wondering where it will be worth it, i mean can you imagine never being able to feel anything on your lips again?
    It is true about the complications, but it's not generally as bad as it sounds, and it is uncommon. I had a numb bottom lip for months after, and it is strange at first (obviously makes kissing/eating weird, lol). Mine was probably numb for about 4/5 months, and was 'tingly' (if that makes sense) for about a year and a half.

And like I said, I think it's worth it (for me it was, anyway).

Sorry this is so long!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liv1204)
    It is true about the complications, but it's not generally as bad as it sounds, and it is uncommon. I had a numb bottom lip for months after, and it is strange at first (obviously makes kissing/eating weird, lol). Mine was probably numb for about 4/5 months, and was 'tingly' (if that makes sense) for about a year and a half.

Sorry this is so long!
    Ditto this, I had it done just over 2 years ago and I still have no feeling in part of my chin and my bottom lip is really tingly...to be honest though I don't even notice it. It's definitely worth doing IMO, I look so much better and I have loads more confidence.

ReputationRep:
    ive never been told about the numbness but am gettin just my top one moved ive been told that it will effect my speach but am gettin another opp on that anyway because i was born with a cleft lip and pallet my speach has never been very good. has any1 just had their top one moved because ive noticed alot of people have had both or just their bottom one and so they will have different effects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liv1204)

Sorry this is so long!
    Oh dear, i'm really dreading this, I really am still unsure about it but I suppose it will be ok. I'm still waiting to be told when my op will be etc... useless Bradford hospitals lol.

I had completely forgotten that I had posted on here about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopykitten!)
    Oh dear, i'm really dreading this, I really am still unsure about it but I suppose it will be ok. I'm still waiting to be told when my op will be etc... useless Bradford hospitals lol.

I had completely forgotten that I had posted on here about that.
    Aww, sorry if I freaked you out!

The numbness really isn't that scary. It is strange at first, but you kind of get used to not feeling it. And the tingliness was definitely not bad - just a bit odd (like, if I ran my finger across my jaw/chin, it would feel tingly and kind of 'far away' rather than totally normal). But it doesn't make a huge amount of difference at all, it's just a bit weird at first!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2012
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.