The Student Room Group

Jaw Re-alignment :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
lunchbox
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've been thinking about getting the surgery done, but I don't know if I should do it or not. The risks are permanent loss of feeling in parts of your face and I don't know if it's worth it. How likely is this going to happen?

I have permanent loss in one corner of my lip and part of my chin and I seriously don't even notice it - it's a pretty tiny patch of your body in the grand scheme of things and it means you can do retarded stuff like get hot gravy on your chin without it hurting :p: my surgeon said it's pretty rare for this to happen to anyone anyway so I didn't even really consider it when I was deciding whether to go for it or not. Do it! I've never known anyone to regret it.
Sourire
I just had this last Friday and it is not painful at all. I had a bimaxillary osteotomy and lip lengthening. Its all good and despite the swelling I see a major improvement. :biggrin:

Bimaxillary osteotomies ftw! :biggrin:.

lunchbox
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've been thinking about getting the surgery done, but I don't know if I should do it or not. The risks are permanent loss of feeling in parts of your face and I don't know if it's worth it. How likely is this going to happen?

I have a weird problem where my eyes are unevenly positioned ever so slightly and I think the crooked jaw exacerbates the effect. One side of my face is fuller than the other, too. I guess the best way to decide if I should get this surgery is talk to an oral surgeon.

First hand experience: I'm 9 months post op and sosososososo happy with the results. I had a really rough time with mine - cyclical vomiting meant I was chucking up blood and all sorts for days after - but I was an anomaly and didn't recover as quickly as everyone else.

As for the feeling, the left side of my chin is very slowly starting to come back. Got the feeling in my tongue back within 48 hours (which tbh is the most important!) my top lip was returning back to normal within a month and the right half of my chin came back a few months ago. Apparently my surgeon 'stretched' the left side of my face more than the right which is why the numbness disappeared so unevenly :s-smilie:. Tbh numbness is the last thing you should worry about - the lack of confidence from having uneven jaws and the problems with eating are definitely worse than a bit of numbness. You get used to it - occaisonally I dribble (got less frequent though!) and if I've got some sauce/food on my chin someone else has to tell me. But that, without a doubt, is outweighed by the fantastic outcome. The loss of feeling temporarily is fairly common, but permanent numbness is rare.
Reply 82
felt_monkey
Bimaxillary osteotomies ftw! :biggrin:.

First hand experience: I'm 9 months post op and sosososososo happy with the results. I had a really rough time with mine - cyclical vomiting meant I was chucking up blood and all sorts for days after - but I was an anomaly and didn't recover as quickly as everyone else.

As for the feeling, the left side of my chin is very slowly starting to come back. Got the feeling in my tongue back within 48 hours (which tbh is the most important!) my top lip was returning back to normal within a month and the right half of my chin came back a few months ago. Apparently my surgeon 'stretched' the left side of my face more than the right which is why the numbness disappeared so unevenly :s-smilie:. Tbh numbness is the last thing you should worry about - the lack of confidence from having uneven jaws and the problems with eating are definitely worse than a bit of numbness. You get used to it - occaisonally I dribble (got less frequent though!) and if I've got some sauce/food on my chin someone else has to tell me. But that, without a doubt, is outweighed by the fantastic outcome. The loss of feeling temporarily is fairly common, but permanent numbness is rare.

I was just wondering, did your nasal tip widen and if yes when did your nose go back to normal?
Reply 83
Just want to say that it's great hearing other people's experiences of it - I still have to wait about another year to finally get mine done, I've wanted it done for so long and reading all the positives in this thread is really helping :yes:
Sourire
I was just wondering, did your nasal tip widen and if yes when did your nose go back to normal?

Yes, my nose did widen - both the tip and the nostrils, and has stayed like that. I know some people who have complained about theirs, but my surgeon reassured me mine would fit my 'new face'. My old nose was too narrow and now it's wider (but not wide) it definitely suits my round face. If the top jaw has to be moved forward your nose will definitely widen. It's pot luck really - I was very fortunate. If you want I'll send you before/after (and during recovery if you've got a strong stomach!) pics.
hannahhi
Just want to say that it's great hearing other people's experiences of it - I still have to wait about another year to finally get mine done, I've wanted it done for so long and reading all the positives in this thread is really helping :yes:

I'm finding this a little bit freaky... I needed a jaw op, I've recently got into F1 (thanks to my obsessed bf :biggrin:) and have seen Michael McIntyre and Russell Howard live. :p:

But it's definitely worth it. I was so tempted to jump off my gurney when I was being wheeled into the OR. Glad I didn't!
Reply 86
felt_monkey
Yes, my nose did widen - both the tip and the nostrils, and has stayed like that. I know some people who have complained about theirs, but my surgeon reassured me mine would fit my 'new face'. My old nose was too narrow and now it's wider (but not wide) it definitely suits my round face. If the top jaw has to be moved forward your nose will definitely widen. It's pot luck really - I was very fortunate. If you want I'll send you before/after (and during recovery if you've got a strong stomach!) pics.

Yeah before and after will be great thanks :smile:
Sourire
Yeah before and after will be great thanks :smile:

Okay :smile:. I'll do it when I get home tomorrow :smile:
Reply 88
felt_monkey
I'm finding this a little bit freaky... I needed a jaw op, I've recently got into F1 (thanks to my obsessed bf :biggrin:) and have seen Michael McIntyre and Russell Howard live. :p:

But it's definitely worth it. I was so tempted to jump off my gurney when I was being wheeled into the OR. Glad I didn't!

Haha :ninja:

But yeah, when I was talking to the surgeon he asked me if I definitely wanted it and I said yes and he said he could tell I really did because I had a determined look in my eye :p: I'll just be so happy to finally get this sorted and maybe I can start to feel good about myself then.
Reply 89
I have a severe overbite of about 1 cm, my orthodontist says I'd have the operation when I'm about 18/19 because I will definitely have stopped growing by then. He says the overall procedure will take 3 years, having braces put on both my lower & upper jaw, then the operation to move my lower jaw forward, then another year with braces.

I'm 16 & planning to go to uni when I finish 6th form. My front teeth stick out and my lower jaw has overcrowding, although in pictures I have been told I have a nice smile. But I really want straight teeth to improve my confidence, I also am very aware of my profile when pics are taken of me from the side.

I am just worried that this operation/braces will affect my education, with all the appointments and 1 month recovery? Also, I am worried about what my face will look like afterwards. I don't want to sound vain but I would regret having the op done if it made my smile worse/ made me less attractive. Is there any way of knowing how you will look after the operation? Will 3 years worth of treatment be worth it? Is it unusual for uni students to have braces?

Sorry for so many questions :smile: xxx Nikki
Reply 90
n_naomi
I have a severe overbite of about 1 cm, my orthodontist says I'd have the operation when I'm about 18/19 because I will definitely have stopped growing by then. He says the overall procedure will take 3 years, having braces put on both my lower & upper jaw, then the operation to move my lower jaw forward, then another year with braces.

I'm 16 & planning to go to uni when I finish 6th form. My front teeth stick out and my lower jaw has overcrowding, although in pictures I have been told I have a nice smile. But I really want straight teeth to improve my confidence, I also am very aware of my profile when pics are taken of me from the side.

I am just worried that this operation/braces will affect my education, with all the appointments and 1 month recovery? Also, I am worried about what my face will look like afterwards. I don't want to sound vain but I would regret having the op done if it made my smile worse/ made me less attractive. Is there any way of knowing how you will look after the operation? Will 3 years worth of treatment be worth it? Is it unusual for uni students to have braces?

Hey there :smile:

I have a pretty severe underbite - I've been self-conscious about it for years. I also had a lot of overcrowding in my top jaw, while the bottom is a little overcrowded although not so much. I first got braces on my top jaw when I was 16 - I had two teeth removed and after a year and a half I had my top braces removed. I was so happy with the results, but I also maintained that I'd like the surgery on my jaw to fix the underbite.

I spoke to the surgeon (he told me he could tell I really wanted it) - it's something I've been sure about since I was about 14. I got braces on my bottom jaw in September 09, 5 days before I was due to start uni. In October I got my two lower wisdom teeth removed (general anaesthetic, hospital stay - was bruised and swollen for about 2 weeks afterwards). Then in November I got my top braces put on. I have to have them on for about 18 months before the surgery itself happens.

I'm like you - I am very aware of my profile when pictures are taken of me from the side - I don't like it. Also when I was talking to the surgeon he told me it'd not only be aesthetic changes it'd be making, but it'd also make me feel better about myself and also the practical changes (I can't bite properly).

You'll probably be arranged a consultation with the surgeon when it comes closer to your surgery, and they'll be able to answer any questions or worries you may have. I'm from Northern Ireland, and go to uni in Scotland so my appointments mean I have to travel back and forth quite a bit - but it's generally only once every 6-8 weeks, so at the initial stages of braces it wouldn't effect your education too much. Obviously when it comes to the time of the op, you're going to have to be able to take time out to recover (I'm hopefully getting my surgery near the beginning of summer 2011, so wouldn't be missing uni etc). If you're unhappy with the way your jaw is now, then the operation shouldn't make it worse. You are going to look different, but it'll more than likely be good different and hopefully it'll give you more confidence in yourself. I know that I can't wait to have this surgery as I hate how my jaw is now.

One more thing is that if you start the treatment - you have to be committed to see it through. For me, the braces are making the bite worse, but that's what has to happen before the surgery.. so if I decided now I didn't want to do it anymore, I'll be left with a worse bite than when I started.

And no it isn't too uncommon for uni students to have braces :smile:

I haven't had the surgery yet, but going through the preparation leading up to it so if you have any more questions about that, ask away. Hope this has helped a little!
Reply 91
n_naomi

i'm in exact same position n am bout to get ready for my operation lol, got braces at 16 and im 18 now and i promise u get so used to braces lol and the appointments are bout 6weeks apart for the braces so it didnt effect study at all. with how my teeth were at the start - and especially that thing where u see pics o u from the side n it looks really noticable - i'd say its definately worth it. good luck :smile:
n_naomi

Apart from some not very nice side effects, e.g. chin and lip numbness, my op was well worth it. The only thing that's really pissed me off is that I had a lot of problems with my nose post-op (it haemorrhaged, which isn't common don't worry) and it took a while to recover. Your nose gets bashed around quite a lot during the op and it changes shape due to moving your maxilla. Due to this I'm now prone to sinus infections. I had never had one before the op, but now if I get a cold I get an infection which lasts about a week and I have to get down the doctors for antibiotics. I get the headache, the congestion, the middle ear fluid... You get my drift. In fact I had to do my French listening, reading and writing paper with one 2 weeks ago and I couldn't do any of it due to not being able to hear/read with a headache. But from what I've gathered this is a very uncommon side effect. It's deffo worth it - I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it. Although I warn you, the recovery isn't exactly a walk in the park.
Reply 93
hi there hav yu had your jaw operation already? if so what type was it ie was it under bite or overbite?

imhaving surgery in about a year to move my upper jaw forward and lower jaw backwards.
masoom7
hi there hav yu had your jaw operation already? if so what type was it ie was it under bite or overbite?

imhaving surgery in about a year to move my upper jaw forward and lower jaw backwards.

I've no idea who you're talking to but if it's me, I had an underbite.
Reply 95
I wasn't asking anyone particular, I was just hoping someone who had a underbite replied lol (lower jaw protruding upper). So how long was yur operation? Did yu need to have a family member or friend have to wait for yu while yu were having the operation? And also how long did yu hav to stay and did they need to wire yur mouth closed?

That's enough questions for one day lol. Sorry if it's lotsa things (;
Reply 96
i had a slight underbite and had my operation 3 weeks ago! the operation took about 3 and a half hours for me and my parents went shopping while i was in the operating theatre! To be honest i've had no pain at all- i still hav a numb bottom lip and the chin is slightly numb. I'm still eating softish food but hopefully wont be long until i can eat propely again. :smile:
I've had the operation- I had it December 2008 and was very happy with it. Excuse the copy and pasting but here's my experience:

Well for me it's been a loooooooong treatment. I had brace treatment started when I was 14 and am now 18, with another 5 months left to go. And one has to have a further 6 months of specific treatment before they do the op itself.
I had to have my wisdoms wipped out under general first. That was in March. The main operation I stayed in for two nights. By this time it was December, so you get the idea...this isn't as quick a fix as you'd think. I lost a lot of blood and had a scarely low blood pressure, however these were kind of due to me and so aren't regular. At first it's not that bad- the first how I was still knocked out afterwards, then I came round and had almost constant suction due to the blood flow. After that I managed to spit out the blood into a bowl. At this point I couldn't acknowledge the swelling and was in little pain as I was on codeine, paracetamol and patient-controlled morphine, which I used ALOT.
By the next morning I could be assisted by the nurses to the toilet (was still on what they call a 'Step-down' unit) where I saw the swelling. Basically my face has zero shape and my lips were somewhat discoloured. I also couldn't feel anything in my mouth or around my chin or lips, due to the local anaesthetic and nerves affected.
It was only when I was taken off the morphine after around 24 hours that the discomfort set in- my face continued to get bigger for several days and the best description I could give is that I looked like Quagmire off Family Guy. No joke.
I hadn't eaten for 48 hours by the time I got home on day 3 but frankly I didn't feel like it. I was nauseaus and dribbling blood for a further 3 days and could barely stand. I was also constipated due to drugs and couldn't communicate to anyone, hence from day 2 onwards I just sort of cried, though it was more just like eye-leakage due to the lack of facial movement.
It really was just extremely runny liquids for atleast two weeks, because apart from anything else, I couldn't open my mouth wide enough to get food in. I total I lost about 3/4 of a stone and am yet to gain all of it back. For the first week post-op, once the anaesthetic was wearing off I found sleeping through the night difficult and would awake sobbing, so my dad would literally cover my face in ice packs to soothe the pain. And for the first week I couldn't even bare to look at myself in the mirror.

Two and a half months later I had only just begun chewing very gently again, was still not allowed to play sports and couldn't feel half of my chin. I was still not fully able to open my jaw and my gums were taught from where the stitches only fell out maybe 3 weeks ago.

Despite all the this I do not regret having the op, as my teeth are aligned and various side effects of my overbite have now disappeared. However it was a horrible process and involved a lot of crying and discomfort, moreso than pain. The swelling takes a while to come down too.

I'd say think carefully as to whether you really want this doing- I had a rather miserable Christmas due to it and missed 2 weeks of school on top of the holidays, plus tonnes of days for lengthy appointments. Oh and I have to wear loads of red elastic bands to stop my opening too wide.

Just an after thought but the operation also CAUSED problems. Since the operation, I've suffered from TMJ which is now being treated with botox, but the effects of that included my jaw partially dislocating, severe pain and clicking.

Give it a really good ponder before making a decision.
hi i knoe wat your going through my doctors have also said that i need to have that operation but he sed its not nessesary and it wudnt get worse so i have sed no for now becasue it doesnt sound very nice i dont want to mess around with my face too much x i hope i havent scared you at all and if your sure then go through with it but i think it will be very painful and im sure your already pretty so y change that x hope this helped calm your nerves and make it better for you x
hi i knoe wat your going through my doctors have also sed to me that i need that operation but i have sed no for the moment becase its not effecting the way i eat and is not really life threatning and it also sounds very painful x im sure you are already pretty and do not need to have the operation x have you ever had an operation before? i recnetly had a operation on my feet and that was very painful!hope i havent scared you at all and im sure you will make a good decision x
:redface:

Quick Reply

Latest