The Student Room Group

AQA A2 SOCIOLOGY: Official Revision Thread for 2015 exams!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vxckyy_
Bauman 'crisis of meaning' ? Can someone please explain

bauman is a 'liquid modernist' - he made up the term

if we think of modernity as being fixed and postmodernity as being completely unfixed then Bauman is somewhere in the middle....like postmodernists he would agree that old meanings are being undermined in a rapidly changing globalised world but unlike postmodernists does not believe that we are in an historical period that is so new it is after or post modernity. He believes in the promises of the enlightenment project

hope this helps
Original post by risteard
bauman is a 'liquid modernist' - he made up the term

if we think of modernity as being fixed and postmodernity as being completely unfixed then Bauman is somewhere in the middle....like postmodernists he would agree that old meanings are being undermined in a rapidly changing globalised world but unlike postmodernists does not believe that we are in an historical period that is so new it is after or post modernity. He believes in the promises of the enlightenment project

hope this helps

I don't get it, is that what crisis of meaning means?
Does anybody know the sociologist who said something along the lines that we shouldn't ask why working class commit crimes but why they don't commit more crimes?
Original post by Student564
Does anybody know the sociologist who said something along the lines that we shouldn't ask why working class commit crimes but why they don't commit more crimes?

Gordon- a Marxist sociologist
Original post by Student564

Hirschi?
Original post by Vxckyy_
I don't get it, is that what crisis of meaning means?

meaning is no longer fixed/rigid, it is now liquid/changeable
Hey guys! I'm trying to write a plan for a 33 marker on secularisation 'assess the view that secularisation has been a feature only of modern European society' and I'm struggling a bit. My plan so far is:

Intro- define secularisation, mention disagreements about it
P1- Evidence of secularisation in Britain
P2- Explanations of secularisations
P3- Reasons why secularisation isn't occuring (cultural defence, transition and spiritual revolution)

Then I also want to perhaps include a point about religion changing not declining and bring in believing without belonging? Not sure if this would work or not?
And then mention about secularisation in America to say that secularisation is not just european?

Does this plan sound along the right lines and have I missed any crucial points? Thank you!
Reply 1987
Original post by Typingsofateen
Hey guys! I'm trying to write a plan for a 33 marker on secularisation 'assess the view that secularisation has been a feature only of modern European society' and I'm struggling a bit. My plan so far is:
Intro- define secularisation, mention disagreements about it
P1- Evidence of secularisation in Britain
P2- Explanations of secularisations
P3- Reasons why secularisation isn't occuring (cultural defence, transition and spiritual revolution)

Then I also want to perhaps include a point about religion changing not declining and bring in believing without belonging? Not sure if this would work or not?
And then mention about secularisation in America to say that secularisation is not just european?

Does this plan sound along the right lines and have I missed any crucial points? Thank you!

I would just follow the lines of one secularisation theorist followed by post modernity of how religion is not declining but changing. Then make sure you do a paragraph on secularisation in the USA followed by a critism of existential security
Reply 1988
Hi,
Does anybody have a plan for an ethnicity question on SCLY 4 crime and deviance?
what are the types of research methods in context?
Could someone please tell me the final predictions for belief?... mainly for the 33 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amunbal
what are the types of research methods in context?

Its every method studied put into the context of a situation, so in the past its been 'strengths and limitations of using covert observation as a means of investigating court proceedings'. You just need to apply that method to the given situation and its an easy 15 marks :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 97m
I would just follow the lines of one secularisation theorist followed by post modernity of how religion is not declining but changing. Then make sure you do a paragraph on secularisation in the USA followed by a critism of existential security

I know India isn't in Europe but could you include Nandra and that she found that Hindus were becoming more religious??
Original post by HarleenS42
Could someone please tell me the final predictions for belief?... mainly for the 33 marker

Posted from TSR Mobile

maybe postmodernism or ideology and science
Original post by Tinkerbell1997
I know India isn't in Europe but could you include Nandra and that she found that Hindus were becoming more religious??

Thats an anti-secualrisation view, saying that religion actually made them wealthier and thus more religious
Original post by aydob001
anyone else doing Beliefs in Society? :biggrin:

Yess i am
Original post by Confidentclown
Thats an anti-secualrisation view, saying that religion actually made them wealthier and thus more religious

Oh yeah, thanks :smile:

thats a hard question :frown:
Hey, does anyone have notes for ideology/science (unit 3), please? :colondollar:
Original post by scjman
Yes I can. It was something like "assess the contribution of feminism to our understanding of society"

doses anyone know if it is safe to miss out feminism/ marxism on the beliefs paper as they have both come up already?
What do you mean organisations ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending