Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Bonjour.

Ah, my first ever post here. I've read a few bits and bobs in the past few days, but not managed to scrape up an excuse to write something.

Anyway: I currently use an fx-991MS calculator for my maths course (AS Maths at the moment). It turns out that this calculator isn't allowed into the P1 exam because of the integration/differentiation functions. Can anyone recommend a calculator that is -definitely- allowed into the exam hall for this exam? Is there a page with all of the allowed calculators on?

(Sorry if this has been posted before... I would guess that it has been... I'm a little pushed for time right now - sorry! )

Thanks,

Chris

ReputationRep:
    Just a basic scientific, i used a casio fx-83WA i think but this is the older version, there are updated ones

try this:calculators allowed in p1&2 exams

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I use a CASIO FX-85B and love it but I think that it is a really old model (bought it about 6/7years ago!!!!).

I imagine that if you check with your examining board (email them or check their websites) you should find a list of acceptable calculators. You just need one that doesn't do symbolic algerbra and basically does simple number crunching!

ReputationRep:
    what happens if u have got a fx-991MS calculator and take it in the exam? How do schools check?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da-Dapper)
    what happens if u have got a fx-991MS calculator and take it in the exam? How do schools check?
    Schools only complain if its a graphic calculator when your not allowed, or at least ours does

ReputationRep:
    Although i have always used a calculator which is permitted, its never been checked

ReputationRep:
    Schools don't usually check calculators. Just make sure its not a graphic calc in a non graphic calc test.

The logistics of checking all the calculators would be too much, and they don't really care to be honest, the calculators can give you a mere check of the answer, and not the workings associated with the question.

That's why questions are now asked in exams with this in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies.

(Original post by Da-Dapper)
    Well only one other person and I have the fx-991MS and our tutors say that they completely trust us with having them in the exam room. However, if we did bring those on the day, we would be putting both us and the school at risk - I'm told that examiners from the boards can just decide to turn up on the exam days and walk around the exam hall. If they walk by and check the calculator to find that it's a banned model then the school gets in serious trouble and so do you (all other exams would probably be affected ).

It's a shame though... I love that 991MS - mainly because it's solar -and- battery (my previous one wasn't, so I would always be scared of it running out of batteries in the exam). I'll take another look on the Edexcel web site for the list of allowed calculators though...

This reminds me actually... slightly different topic - does anyone know of some good AS maths revision sites? For my GCSEs, I would always be on http://www.s-cool.co.uk/, but they're not too good for AS revision; the AS/A2 revision section is combined, so it's a bit ambiguous as to what I need to know and what I don't. It's not really essential that I have a site to look at... it would just make me more confident, I think (like online sample questions... I love those ).

ReputationRep:
    Try www.mathsnet.net as tht's very good. has info, questions and a problems forum where ppl are very helpful. Also try www.ajimal.com for some questions and unofficial answers to past papers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeroxyn)
    It's a shame though... I love that 991MS - mainly because it's solar -and- battery (my previous one wasn't, so I would always be scared of it running out of batteries in the exam). I'll take another look on the Edexcel web site for the list of allowed calculators though...
    Ahh, yes the 991MS. One of the best non graphic calculators out there on the market.

ReputationRep:
    i have known many ppl use it for exams.

ReputationRep:
    Would the rules maths and calculators be the same for AS physics and calculators?

I think mine should be ok... Sharp EL-520L?

ReputationRep:
    i think u r allowed n e calc in physics, but all programs have to be removed etc.

ReputationRep:
    My school never check that sort of thing, if an exam inspector comes to the school and finds students with an illegal calculator then theyre screwed basically.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, the only exams that calculators with integration/differentiation functions built in are banned from are Pure Mathematics exams. For example, I know that I can use mine in all of my other ones (M1, D1 & S1).

But yeah... Programmable calculators just have to be cleared. I heard a story from someone who had a mate that wrote a program on the calculator to simulate the memory being cleared without actually removing anything. Hehehe. Sneaky.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was only symbolic algebra that wasnt allowed? My calculator (CFX-9850G) does all the numerical stuff and it's fine as far as I'm aware. Symbolic algebra would make a lot of questions pathetically easy.

ReputationRep:
    That's a nice thought - the Casio website actually warns "Featuring CAS (Computer Algebra System) it is not suitable for GCSE and A-level examinations." on it's top model. I presume that means the rest are okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeroxyn)
    Anyway: I currently use an fx-991MS calculator for my maths course (AS Maths at the moment). It turns out that this calculator isn't allowed into the P1 exam because of the integration/differentiation functions. Can anyone recommend a calculator that is -definitely- allowed into the exam hall for this exam? Is there a page with all of the allowed calculators on?
    I have the fx-991W, which is the predecessor of your one. I have had this since 1999. I have used it in all of my SATS, GCSE, AS-level and A-level exams so far. I know other people that have used 'banned calculators'. My school does not check calculators in exams; they trust us.

Interestingly, my calculator got nicked a few days ago. I was seriously affected by this, as I have got so used to it and I do not like any of the calculators currently available in mainstream shops. Fortunately, my mate found a nice calculator, which turned out to be mine!

The official list of allowed and banned calculators can be found at:
    http://www.qca.org.uk/ages14-19/subj...tics_1727.html

ReputationRep:
    the packaging for the 991MS is completely misleading, because it says "Ideal for As/A level" and then has a small warning "is not suitable for GCSE and A-level examinations"

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.