Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I've been at uni 5 or 6 weeks now and I think I've more or less come to the decision that I want to transfer somewhere different for my 2nd year. I've begun the process of emailing universities to ask what their policy is on this and I've had a reply from one already which says I can by all means apply through UCAS but of course they can't guarantee a place.

Does anyone else who is doing a similar thing feel as sure about it as I do? My main reasons for wanting to relocate are not liking the city I'm in and not particularly liking the university and as a result of this I'm quite depressed a lot of the time and don't feel I'm getting what I should out of university life. I came here through clearing and didn't really think it through at all.

It's not all negative, I think coming here has forced me to take a step back and take action on what I actually want out of life. How are other transfer hopefuls feeling about it, optimistic...worried...both?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they're quite ambivalent about the whole issue, much like you are.

But like they say, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Indeed, you can apply through UCAS just like any other applicant and declare there that you're already studying at a university.

They even MAY admit you to point of entry 2 though this is highly unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for the info. Though what's point of entry 2? Would I need to write my reasons for wanting to transfer in my PS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiger_lily06)
    Thank you very much for the info. Though what's point of entry 2? Would I need to write my reasons for wanting to transfer in my PS?
    Entering in the second year. I think the process of applying is different if you're going to go for that, you should email to universities you're interested in to see if there's any point doing it (like when I emailed LSE they said it was pretty much impossible, even though I had more than their standard offer, good grades in my [very similar] first year course etc)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiger_lily06)

i have done the transfer process myself, and on my personal statement that i had to write i wrote put a couple of lines about why i wanted to transfer. i dont think its completely necessary, but it just looks good for the uni you are planning to transfer to, to see, i dont think u need to put into detail though. i jsut wrote on mine simply that 'i wish to transfer for personal reasons' and that i need to be closer to home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infinityandbeyond)
    i have done the transfer process myself, and on my personal statement that i had to write i wrote put a couple of lines about why i wanted to transfer. i dont think its completely necessary, but it just looks good for the uni you are planning to transfer to, to see, i dont think u need to put into detail though. i jsut wrote on mine simply that 'i wish to transfer for personal reasons' and that i need to be closer to home.
    Thank you very much, that's really helpful, especially since my main reason for transferring is that I need to be closer to home.

Can I just ask, when did you initiate the process? Did you need to tell your former university first or did you just go ahead and do it?

ReputationRep:
    Apply for the transfer and then ask one lecturer/tutor for a reference. Don't tell anyone else because you look like an idiot if you apply but don't get the transfer.

Let the university know you are transferring after you've secured a place.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of things do you put in your personal statement? Should you base your personal statement on your knowledge of the subject your applying to or show how great of a student you are at your current uni?

ReputationRep:
    yeah basically started the process by speaking to the uni that i wanted to transfer too, they basically verbally said theyd take me, but that i had to apply through ucas. did that and got the reference off my personal tutor for that. this started in febrary time. You have up intill end of june i think to apply through ucas. with point of entry as 2.

i only told the registry at the uni i was leaving when i had prettty much full confirmation that i was leaving, and had been accepted elsewhere. i did this over the summer holidays. my old uni sent me a notification of withdrawal form to fill in basically. a copy of which may be needed for your LEA to say u have changed instituion in order to get the loan for the next yr.

when u get forms to apply for yr2 student loans. you will see an option on there to state if you are changing etc, good idea to inform them then even if u have completed the ucas process then but know u are definatly changing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugdollap)
    What kind of things do you put in your personal statement? Should you base your personal statement on your knowledge of the subject your applying to or show how great of a student you are at your current uni?

on the personal statement i basically put:

where i was, and what i was studying
    why i wanted to transfer , personal reasons etc
    (the uni i transfered to was orginally my insurance choice, so i added that in too)
    then basically just talked about the modules that i was currently doing and the skills i was gaining from them. e.g group work, team work, lecture note taking etc.
    also as it was the end of semester 1 that i was writing it, i was able to put some of the grades i had got so far.

i also wrote breifly hobbies not related to uni, but i didnt go into anything about school and gcse and a-levels.

think that was pretty much all.

on the rest of the ucas form. i got tutor reference, and i did state my gcse and a-level results on the grades page.

after completing the ucas thing and it was sent off the uni i was transfering to
    sent me a letter saying they would like me to send more detail on the modules i am currently doing.

they cannot process the whole transfer untill u get the results in the summer saying u have passed the entire 1st year.

ReputationRep:
    Does the transfer actually have to be in another year? Can't it be in the 2nd semester of, say the first year?

I'm definately going to transfer too I can't stand it here...

ReputationRep:
    This is all really helpful information, thank you everyone. I had an email back from Durham saying they would consider an application for point 2 entry so it's definitely worth a shot I think. Since I have until about June I think I'll have a talk about it with family over Christmas and then get the ball rolling when I return for the second semester.

Just a thing though, is it important that my tutor knows what the reference is for and can they refuse to write me one if they know it's to apply for a different uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    Does the transfer actually have to be in another year? Can't it be in the 2nd semester of, say the first year?

I'm definately going to transfer too I can't stand it here...
    i think u can transfer, at any time. i think it is a lot more hassle if u transfer in the middle of the year becuase of the whole fees thing, accomodation stuff, loan stuff, whearas transfering for the start of the second year means, things are easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misslibby)
    Entering in the second year. I think the process of applying is different if you're going to go for that, you should email to universities you're interested in to see if there's any point doing it (like when I emailed LSE they said it was pretty much impossible, even though I had more than their standard offer, good grades in my [very similar] first year course etc)...
    Yeah I had this problem with LSE hence I accepted a first year place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infinityandbeyond)
    i think u can transfer, at any time. i think it is a lot more hassle if u transfer in the middle of the year becuase of the whole fees thing, accomodation stuff, loan stuff, whearas transfering for the start of the second year means, things are easier.

Actually I'm dying to leave this place....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    Actually I'm dying to leave this place....
    Which uni are you at at the moment? (just curious)

ReputationRep:
    Bath...The place is nice but the degree is not for me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    Bath...The place is nice but the degree is not for me...

I was at bath spa, the uni in the field lol for my first year, but transfered, its a nice town but i just didnt feel settled there.

ReputationRep:
    heh where are you now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    heh where are you now?
    i amat worcester now, which originally was my insurance choice.

when i chose my unis i wasnt really thinking properly about where i wanted to be in terms of location. hence not making the right descion about where i went in the first year

but its all good now

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.