Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can i ask what GCSE grades did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ö/\/\A® ©)
    The uni adviser at my school told me something quite interesting a little while ago when we first started deciding what unis to apply to.

He said that if I had got the same GCSE grades at a state school, my grades would be good enough for oxbridge without a doubt, provided I had good A levels with them. But because of the school I was at he said, without exaggerating, that there is absolutely no point in me applying to oxbridge.

To me this doesnt say that private schools are necessarily discriminated against, but if its a decent one, it does mean that someone else with the same grades from another school would get chosen instead of you. Some people would call that discrimination. Personally, I think thats fair - getting good grades at a school that doesnt push you as much and has lower expectations is very tough, and those people should be rewarded.
    That sounds pretty much like what I told my friend, although I completely disagree that there'd be 'absoloutely no point in applying'. I don't know what grades you got, but I'm assuming they're not all Cs and below, so it would definitely still be worth a try. Your uni adviser is right apart from that though. Cambridge's official policy is that you get 1 point for each A* and 0.6 for each A, with no cap on the amount of GCSEs, but if you go to a poor school, you can get a few points added on. So someone with lower grades from a bad state school would be considered equal to someone with better grades from a good private school. I don't think that's disrimination either, just a way of trying to level the playing field a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    That sounds pretty much like what I told my friend, although I completely disagree that there'd be 'absoloutely no point in applying'. I don't know what grades you got, but I'm assuming they're not all Cs and below, so it would definitely still be worth a try. Your uni adviser is right apart from that though. Cambridge's official policy is that you get 1 point for each A* and 0.6 for each A, with no cap on the amount of GCSEs, but if you go to a poor school, you can get a few points added on. So someone with lower grades from a bad state school would be considered equal to someone with better grades from a good private school. I don't think that's disrimination either, just a way of trying to level the playing field a bit.

hmm..I hear you, but IMO hes right, there would be no point in applying. I'm not trying to be a smart arse and prove you wrong but, he even told me a statistic that no-one from my school has got into oxbridge in the last something years with less than 5A*, except for someone with "exceptional circumstances".

But yeah, so many people at my school complain about it. I think they're being ungrateful - you're totally right, its about creating a level playing field.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I go to a private school, and there are some people on my road who, when they found out that I was going to a private school acted as if I was a real snob, who thought I was above the rest of them. Which is untrue. Then they started going on about "What's wrong with the schools we go to...you'd get the same education etc..." Well, I didn't say anything at the time (I was 11, and rather shy, but I felt like say something like, well, at your school (which is a comprehensive, though not the local one, in the case of this girl), you wouldn't get the same education. Instead of being pushed to get As/A*s, you'd only be pushed to get Cs, or whatever.

Anyway, I no longer talk to them (they were going really *****y etc), so all my friends are either at my school, at the local boys private school and get my bus, or go to other similar schools. But the school doesn't have to be private to give you a top education. There are selective grammar schools that are almost as good. But it all comes down to luck, really, and if your parents are willing to pay for a private education.

ReputationRep:
    hey omarc we should start a society :p: and then we can all come down on the threads like a ton of **** if anyone dares suggest private schools are fair :p: joke but yeah its fun to argue and they come up every so often in the A level sub sometimes in the oxbirdge one there was one somewhere else before, i forget where,,,but its fun to argue, there was a really exciting one a few months back *reminisces happily*

ReputationRep:
    I went to a private school for my GCSEs, now I go to a state school for my ASs and A2s.
    I'm doing better at state school than I did at private school so it doesn't really affect grades.
    But I'm glad I went to a private school as it's tought me about the divides of society.
    My friends from my ex private school are going to get one hell of a culture shock when they leave at the end of this academic year. Thank God I've already got that shock over and done with.

ReputationRep:
    can i ask what is so different?

I ask because I don't really fancy experiencing this culture shock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_cole2)
    hey omarc we should start a society :p: and then we can all come down on the threads like a ton of **** if anyone dares suggest private schools are fair :p: joke but yeah its fun to argue and they come up every so often in the A level sub sometimes in the oxbirdge one there was one somewhere else before, i forget where,,,but its fun to argue, there was a really exciting one a few months back *reminisces happily*
    haha ye we should. Although , i dont know which side i'd take - I can rant all day about them being unfair, but I think they've done me a lot of good so I'm not complaining.

Although I wont feel the same way I my school results in me having one of these 'culture shocks' when I leave.

They sound really gay.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest private schooling should leave you with better results then state. Thats what parents are paying for. People who do well in a state school deserve to be picked over people who do equally as well in a private school. State schools will often just give up on you if you dont hand in coursework or bunk of school. Private schools wouldnt. I would also say there is a much larger range of people in state schools so you could say people from state schools are more "weathered" if you no what i mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiejest)
    People who do well in a state school deserve to be picked over people who do equally as well in a private school.
    I agree with that. People who attend private schools are privilaged - the whole school ethos is pushed towards students getting top grades and going to a top university. Parents of these students are often more aware of university etc, and so push their children to achieve. This combination means that children not only have good grades but are also very self-confident etc.

It makes me sad to hear people from private schools worrying about discrimination against them, because really they have been given a lot of opportunities in life already - it's only their own fault if they don't take them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by --monty---)
    I agree with that. People who attend private schools are privilaged - the whole school ethos is pushed towards students getting top grades and going to a top university. Parents of these students are often more aware of university etc, and so push their children to achieve. This combination means that children not only have good grades but are also very self-confident etc.

It makes me sad to hear people from private schools worrying about discrimination against them, because really they have been given a lot of opportunities in life already - it's only their own fault if they don't take them.
    My friends from my ex private school are going to get one hell of a culture shock when they leave at the end of this academic year. Thank God I've already got that shock over and done with.

I'd just like to pick up on these 2 quotes.

Firstly re: the very self confident quote - I don't agree with the 'very' self confident bit. A 'good' private school will teach you to have confidence and to be proud of your skills - this is surely good for anyone!

The 'very' part of your post only really refers to people who go to the absolute top of the pile public schools like Eton, Harrow in general. Anyway these sorts of people generally do feel priveliged - after all a lot come from wealthy noble backgrounds.

To pick up on the second quote, I don't really think people from a fairly standard private school are going to have too much of a culture shock. I think less so. After all private schools have a bigger intake of different ethnic backgrounds. At my school there a lot of people from China, Germany, Hong Kong etc. And also some from low income families (who are given bursaries). So if anything it teaches you to respect and value religious/social traditions and values more. Something that seems to be lacking in many people from state schools.

ReputationRep:
    After all private schools have a bigger intake of different ethnic backgrounds. At my school there a lot of people from China, Germany, Hong Kong etc. And also some from low income families (who are given bursaries). So if anything it teaches you to respect and value religious/social traditions and values more. Something that seems to be lacking in many people from state schools.
    Depends where you live. Ever been to one of London's inner city state schools? I'd bet the mix of people in there is a hell of a lot more diverse, albeit it would seem a different type of mix....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icksta)
    Depends where you live. Ever been to one of London's inner city state schools? I'd bet the mix of people in there is a hell of a lot more diverse, albeit it would seem a different type of mix....
    funny you mention. A lot of state schools in east end are actually less diverse because almost all the pupils are from bangladesh. On the news I heard some of the mothers of the english kids complaining that their children come home with bangladeshi accents!

and you're from north london too! good on you, we'r in the best bit

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people are picking on the fact that private school = higher grades which is certainly not the case.
    As a statistic, yes, generally people who go to private schools get higher grades but this is not down to academic excellence all the time.

From my experience at private school it was all down to work ethic and attitude.
    When I moved to state school I was shocked at how un-educated people are about uni and if I never went to private school I would probably be one of them!

(Original post by Andrew_2006)
    I don't really think people from a fairly standard private school are going to have too much of a culture shock. I think less so. After all private schools have a bigger intake of different ethnic backgrounds. At my school there a lot of people from China, Germany, Hong Kong etc. And also some from low income families (who are given bursaries).
    Please can you provide some evidence for this bold statement?

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: I went to a Private School for Years 7-11 and I must say that <10% were not White British. I have no clue where this figure stands when compared with state schools in my area, but I assume it is maybe 8-fold lower than is some such schools.

ReputationRep:
    Hi..i was just wondering..do u think that i would have a better chance of getting into one of the Oxbrigde if i was studying abroad or in england? or does it not matter?

ReputationRep:
    foregin students pay three tiems as much. both oxford and cambridge are a bit short on funding...you can make your own assumptions based on that.

ReputationRep:
    I never really noticed a divide between the people from the private school and those of us who aren't but I think that's probably because I live quite far from the private school and only know a couple of people who went there, never had any problems with them though, I think they're really nice. I went to state school in the middle of one of Britain's largest council estates, it's got the worst reputation in Portsmouth but I haven't, from the few public school students I know, seen any sort of snobbyness [is that even a word?] or had them looking down on me.

ReputationRep:
    i think the word is snobbishicity

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.