The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Archery, LGBTQ and Student Scout and Guide group

Do any of you go to these societies at Exeter? What are they like? I'm thinking of moving to Exeter and would like to get involved with these societies if possible.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Do any of you go to these societies at Exeter? What are they like? I'm thinking of moving to Exeter and would like to get involved with these societies if possible.

Can't help with LGBTQ or Scout & Guide group but I sure as hell can help with Archery!

We're a very active club, throughout freshers week we'll always run a number of taster sessions so you can come along and give it a bit of a go. If you choose to take it up then you'll go through a six week beginner course which is a 2 hour session each week during which you will be taught in small groups of about half a dozen, with a coach who just works with your group, and over those six weeks you'll learn correct shooting form, how to shoot safely and all the basics of archery, so how to score, how the range is controlled, how to string & unstring a bow.

After those six weeks you will officially be a novice rather than a beginner and all of the regular club sessions become available to you. We have four sessions a week totalling 7.5 hours which are open to all novices and a 2 hour squad session which is for 16 experienced archers and 16 novices, essentially those who work hardest and clearly want to improve are the ones who get picked for squad.

The club will provide you with all of the kit you need for as long as you need it, so there is no pressure to go and buy your own kit right away, and we're a friendly bunch who are more than happy to keep teaching throughout the year to ensure that you keep on improving, and if you want to shoot competitively then there's plenty of opportunities, we have two BUCS events each year along with half a dozen rounds of SWWU (a tournament series that involves ten Universities from around the South West & Wales).

I suppose the short version would be that it's a very active, very social club and one which you can take part in very frequently if you choose to.

Join us, we're awesome!
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by mackemforever
Can't help with LGBTQ or Scout & Guide group but I sure as hell can help with Archery!

We're a very active club, throughout freshers week we'll always run a number of taster sessions so you can come along and give it a bit of a go. If you choose to take it up then you'll go through a six week beginner course which is a 2 hour session each week during which you will be taught in small groups of about half a dozen, with a coach who just works with your group, and over those six weeks you'll learn correct shooting form, how to shoot safely and all the basics of archery, so how to score, how the range is controlled, how to string & unstring a bow.

After those six weeks you will officially be a novice rather than a beginner and all of the regular club sessions become available to you. We have four sessions a week totalling 7.5 hours which are open to all novices and a 2 hour squad session which is for 16 experienced archers and 16 novices, essentially those who work hardest and clearly want to improve are the ones who get picked for squad.

The club will provide you with all of the kit you need for as long as you need it, so there is no pressure to go and buy your own kit right away, and we're a friendly bunch who are more than happy to keep teaching throughout the year to ensure that you keep on improving, and if you want to shoot competitively then there's plenty of opportunities, we have two BUCS events each year along with half a dozen rounds of SWWU (a tournament series that involves ten Universities from around the South West & Wales).

I suppose the short version would be that it's a very active, very social club and one which you can take part in very frequently if you choose to.

Join us, we're awesome!

Unfortunately I've contacted the club since I posted this thread and got a reply saying that as I won't be a student I won't be able to join the club. :frown: I've been shooting at Sussex uni for 2 and a half years and loved it and hoped I could join the uni club when I move. Do you know if it's just sports clubs I can't join as a non-student or whether I can't join any societies too?

Thanks for the help though.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Unfortunately I've contacted the club since I posted this thread and got a reply saying that as I won't be a student I won't be able to join the club. :frown: I've been shooting at Sussex uni for 2 and a half years and loved it and hoped I could join the uni club when I move. Do you know if it's just sports clubs I can't join as a non-student or whether I can't join any societies too?

Thanks for the help though.

Ah, I was under the impression that you were transferring to Exeter as a student.

Unfortunately to join any sports club or society at Exeter you are required to have a student ID number which obviously you can only get if you are a student here.

Archery wise there is a busy little club in the city itself, if you look up Exeter Company of Archers you'll find them.

*EDIT* The society thing, if there are any that you are interested in then I'd say it's worth dropping them a message to ask. While technically you are required to be a student I'd bet that there's plenty of societies that would be prepared to look the other way provided you paid the membership fee.
Original post by mackemforever
Ah, I was under the impression that you were transferring to Exeter as a student.

Unfortunately to join any sports club or society at Exeter you are required to have a student ID number which obviously you can only get if you are a student here.

Archery wise there is a busy little club in the city itself, if you look up Exeter Company of Archers you'll find them.

*EDIT* The society thing, if there are any that you are interested in then I'd say it's worth dropping them a message to ask. While technically you are required to be a student I'd bet that there's plenty of societies that would be prepared to look the other way provided you paid the membership fee.

This is disappointing because as Sussex as long as you pay the associate membership fee you can join any society or sports club you want and I assumed it would be the same at Exeter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending