6Jesus6Christ6
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Happy new year everyone

In your opinion, what are the qualities of someone you'd like to have as supreme leader of this country?

Perhaps you might think that out of the 60 million+ people on this great island, that you would be able to do the best job, in which case, list off your best qualities and how they qualify you for the position of Supreme Leader.

Of course, everyone's desires and outlooks on life are different, so we can expect a wide array of the desired qualities.

In my view, a great leader is a man who has overcome great physical or mental struggle only to emerge stronger and with more conviction in his views. Someone who appreciates truth above everything else, and who knows the value of hard work.

Pictures
Spoiler:
Show

Hitler BTW

Ben Gurion

Hassan Nasrallah

[IMG]http://rt.com/files/news/1e/a3/10/00...annover.si.jpg[/IMG]

Vladimir Putin (Bonus Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNiW...tailpage#t=840)

[IMG]http://us.cdn001.fansshare.com/photo...1172103627.jpg[/IMG]
Margaret Thatcher

Josef Stalin (probable Psychopath)

Lord Jacob Rothschild, richest family in the world, Bill Gates is a pauper in comparison.

Looking forward to see your views
Attached files
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is no such thing as a leader or perfect leader. In fact the best governmental system make a leader impossible.
6Jesus6Christ6
Rep:
?
(Original post by william walker)
There is no such thing as a leader or perfect leader. In fact the best governmental system make a leader impossible.
What's the best governmental system? And how do we get there?
william walker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 6Jesus6Christ6)
What's the best governmental system? And how do we get there?
The British governmental system after the Glorious Revolution and English Bill of Rights is the best.
6Jesus6Christ6
Rep:
?
(Original post by william walker)
The British governmental system after the Glorious Revolution and English Bill of Rights is the best.
Can you elaborate on that? I'm not familiar with that part of history.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't thknk he is either.
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's essentially our governmental system now. I've studied the Glorious Revolution, and despite being one of the most boring parts of English history, it set up the groundwork for our Parliamentary democracy, although it has evolved quite significantly since then.
william walker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
I don't thknk he is either.
Get out and march.
6Jesus6Christ6
Rep:
?
(Original post by navarre)
It's essentially our governmental system now. I've studied the Glorious Revolution, and despite being one of the most boring parts of English history, it set up the groundwork for our Parliamentary democracy, although it has evolved quite significantly since then.
Cheers m8

I would say that parliamentary democracy is nowhere near as beneficial in manifesting the Will of the common man in comparison to Direct Democracy, though the latter has its drawbacks given the tendency for the common man to back an ill-formed and unknowledgeable opinion.
william walker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It created a governmental power balance between the House of Commons, House of Lords, Monarchy, Church of England, Courts and Media. Meaning no one person could have overall power. So there was no need for a leader in political terms.
william walker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by navarre)
No the basis for our governmental system now comes from the recession after the Napoleonic war. The shift to economic liberalism and the destruction of the Tory party.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A perfect leader is selfless - someone who'd immediately relinquish their power for the greater good. Someone level-headed and capable of inspiring people. Very intelligent and empathetic, perhaps a philosopher of some sort. So charismatic as to be immune to betrayal and conspiracy. Loved domestically and feared/respected overseas - a patriotic internationalist. Free from paranoia and prejudice.

Such a person doesn't and isn't likely to ever exist. The ideas and idealism of a good potential leader fade eventually and that's why we need the opportunity to elect a new one.

Btw, the examples you've given don't quite fit your description...
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A divine triumvirate of Paddy Ashdown, Ken Clarke and Richard Dawkins.

With Ian Hislop as President in a new republic.

(I'm only half joking)
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Happy new year everyone

In your opinion, what are the qualities of someone you'd like to have as supreme leader of this country?

Perhaps you might think that out of the 60 million+ people on this great island, that you would be able to do the best job, in which case, list off your best qualities and how they qualify you for the position of Supreme Leader.

Of course, everyone's desires and outlooks on life are different, so we can expect a wide array of the desired qualities.

In my view, a great leader is a man who has overcome great physical or mental struggle only to emerge stronger and with more conviction in his views. Someone who appreciates truth above everything else, and who knows the value of hard work.

Pictures
Spoiler:
Show

Hitler BTW

Ben Gurion

Hassan Nasrallah

[IMG]http://rt.com/files/news/1e/a3/10/00...annover.si.jpg[/IMG]

Vladimir Putin (Bonus Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNiW...tailpage#t=840)

[IMG]http://us.cdn001.fansshare.com/photo...1172103627.jpg[/IMG]
Margaret Thatcher

Josef Stalin (probable Psychopath)

Lord Jacob Rothschild, richest family in the world, Bill Gates is a pauper in comparison.

Looking forward to see your views
Pragmatic
Open Minded
Driven by a sense of duty to the state
Charismatic
Strong moral values that drive their core ideology
Ruthlessness
Resolve

The worst things in politics today are the lack of resolve (one leader pandering to Ukip, the other too afraid of the 1980's) and populism (Labour now going after welfare and the Tories kicking out graduates from abroad).

I think that if Thatcher were more pragmatic and open minded we'd have somebody close to perfection.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Pragmatic
Open Minded
Driven by a sense of duty to the state
Charismatic
Strong moral values that drive their core ideology
Ruthlessness
Resolve

The worst things in politics today are the lack of resolve (one leader pandering to Ukip, the other too afraid of the 1980's) and populism (Labour now going after welfare and the Tories kicking out graduates from abroad).

I think that if Thatcher were more pragmatic and open minded we'd have somebody close to perfection.
If I were a politician I'd make a point of being slightly abrasive with the electorate...showing a slight contempt in my face and voice and being quick to voice disagreement with popular opinion, all in a cloak of strong will and beliefs. I think that style is a vast untapped goldmine of political success.
jaffacake111
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
None. The Dear Leader and The Great Leader are not dear and they are not great. Could not say this of course if I were in North Korea and I thank my lucky stars I am not - in fact I thank them I am born at all and for good scientific reason and not Astrology masquerading as science.

There are no absolutes (I realise I am being ironic in my saying so) and we should be very glad about that to the extent where we actively reject claims of infallibility be they political or religious or else wherever we find them. Who would dare say Final Solutions are a good thing?

Plato and Aristotle on government makes for interesting reading and it's been said that "democracy is the worst form of government except all the others". I would hapilly agree of course had it not come from a politican's mouth - Churchill.

Science so clearly best tool we have and can't go wrong with scientific thinking (logic and reason). I for one would not want to live in a Darwinian society although evolution a fact and undeniably so. The "natural" argument is very weak and I am only to glad we can forgo our "Selfish Genes".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (135)
48.04%
No (37)
13.17%
I'm not old enough (109)
38.79%

Watched Threads