herkiz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello! I have applied for the Social Work BA course at University Of Leeds, University Of Birmingham, University Of Nottingham and University Of East Anglia. Any advice on the interviews for these unis? would be appreciated!
Tashtroubles
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just make your self presentable first impressions count! Be punctual and be your self! When being asked questions make sure to get your point across and go into detail with your answers! They want you to impress them so don't be blunt! Show you have an understanding for the course and experience! Even if it isn't the uni of your choice make sure to show some interest in the course and the uni and make them believe it's your first choice!

4/4 interviews completed for youth and community work
3/4 conditionals
1 unconditional 😀

Good luck I hope it goes well!! You'll boss it just be confident!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mrsrogers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You need to brush up on anti-discrimination and anti-oppressive practice. Have an answer ready for why you want to go into SW and what a SW does. Have an idea of the professional capabilities framework. Neil Thompson's Understanding Social Work is a great book to help you. Have examples for challenging situations you have been in, strengths and weaknesses and times when you have realised you could have done something better. Remember social workers enable people and empower them to take control of their lives - don't say you want to help people! Also read up on current issues such as austerity and high profile cases - look at communitycare.co.uk and the guardian. Show you can manage your time and you are resilient and can manage the high stress of the job. Above all be friendly and confident and show them what a great social worker you would make!

Good luck! I am applying to 5 unis and waiting to hear about interviews too!
Mrsrogers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by herkiz)
Hello! I have applied for the Social Work BA course at University Of Leeds, University Of Birmingham, University Of Nottingham and University Of East Anglia. Any advice on the interviews for these unis? would be appreciated!
Have you heard anything yet Herkiz?
C_cooke
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey I have an interview at UEA... i need advice on the essay and what they're likely to ask at the interview.. if anyone has any ideas/advice.. it'd be awesome and appreciated!
Tashtroubles
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by C_cooke)
Hey I have an interview at UEA... i need advice on the essay and what they're likely to ask at the interview.. if anyone has any ideas/advice.. it'd be awesome and appreciated!
What course?
Mrsrogers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, they are likely to ask you why you want to be a social worker and what you think the role entails or what social work is. They are likely to ask you about your strengths and weaknesses as well as asking for examples of times when you dealt with a challenging situation/discrimination or when you felt you could have improved on something afterwards.
Also all the above stuff that I mentioned a couple of posts up. Make sure you really know the skills they are looking for by researching the professional capabilities framework on the TCSW website.

Essay question depends on the uni. I have one on a case study which they have sent me which looks at domestic violence and the other will be given on the day and will be about my views and values. Make sure you link everything t the PCF and where possible give alternative points of view.

Good luck - when is your interview?!
C_cooke
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you so much! I've just bought two books that UEA recommended.. My essay is 'why is social work important?' 1000 words. But I think they're not fussed how you do it.. It's the content that counts. If you can justify what you've written surely that'll be good enough?! It's 12 March! When are yours? X
C_cooke
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tashtroubles)
What course?
Hey! BA Social work sorry!!
Mrsrogers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you so much! I've just bought two books that UEA recommended.. My essay is 'why is social work important?' 1000 words. But I think they're not fussed how you do it.. It's the content that counts. If you can justify what you've written surely that'll be good enough?! It's 12 March! When are yours? X
Here is the assessment criteria from Middlesex which I was sent so you can see an example of how essays are marked:

Work is legible, comprehensible and
structured, and of
reasonable length (600 –1000 words)
for the time limit set 3 marks max

Candidate has demonstrated ability to
discuss and critically debate the
chosen topic in an appropriate manner
for the level of study applied for 10 marks max

Work is grammatically correct,
coherent and literate in accordance
with relevant professional standards 5 marks max

Candidate has demonstrated entry
PCF level standards and links to
values in their response 7 marks max

You have quite a bit of time then. My interviews are 29th and 24th of Jan! I have essays for college to do as well so it's hard to fit in prep time! I have already done a fair bit, but need to do some on domestic violence now for my case study! I suppose the good thing is once you've prepared once there isn't so much to do for future interviews!
C_cooke
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mrsrogers)
Here is the assessment criteria from Middlesex which I was sent so you can see an example of how essays are marked:

Work is legible, comprehensible and
structured, and of
reasonable length (600 –1000 words)
for the time limit set 3 marks max

Candidate has demonstrated ability to
discuss and critically debate the
chosen topic in an appropriate manner
for the level of study applied for 10 marks max

Work is grammatically correct,
coherent and literate in accordance
with relevant professional standards 5 marks max

Candidate has demonstrated entry
PCF level standards and links to
values in their response 7 marks max

You have quite a bit of time then. My interviews are 29th and 24th of Jan! I have essays for college to do as well so it's hard to fit in prep time! I have already done a fair bit, but need to do some on domestic violence now for my case study! I suppose the good thing is once you've prepared once there isn't so much to do for future interviews!
That is true! Thank you for that! good luck! Are you doing your a2's? I'm on a HE Access course (a levels but for 21 Year olds plus which takes a year) just crazy how much work you have on plus interviews! I just really want UEA! Fingers crossed. I need to write my essay first :/
Mrsrogers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No I'm on an access course too! Yep the level of work is ridiculous and we will have our extended writing project to do soon as well!! We have had quite a few people drop our and one person is not returning after christmas after all that work the first three months - crazy. My local uni is ARU Chelmsford so that would be ideal location wise, but I am willing to travel a bit in order to do the course so will have wait and see! I'm happy to proof read your essay once you've done it, if you think it would help!
C_cooke
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah that's cool yeah I know and exams. Just what we need..I know! one guy on my course has dropped out over Christmas! But apparently before/after Christmas is statistically the highest point that if someone will drop out.. They will then. Such a shame. Yeah ARU and UCS (Ipswich uni) are the closest for me and that's why I've applied for them! Not sure if I wanna move out yet xD that'd be awesome! Thank you! Hopefully I'll get my first draft done soon between assignments and working!
Mrsrogers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah that's cool yeah I know and exams. Just what we need..I know! one guy on my course has dropped out over Christmas! But apparently before/after Christmas is statistically the highest point that if someone will drop out.. They will then. Such a shame. Yeah ARU and UCS (Ipswich uni) are the closest for me and that's why I've applied for them! Not sure if I wanna move out yet xD that'd be awesome! Thank you! Hopefully I'll get my first draft done soon between assignments and working!
Where do you live? I have applied to UCS as well. I have already moved out. I'm married with two girls! I can't really move out again lol! I'm still waiting to hear from ARU and UCS but my college only sent of my UCAS just before the Christmas break so I guess I will hear soon! Essex is probably doable for me as it's in Southend which is only 30 miles from me.
C_cooke
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mrsrogers)
Where do you live? I have applied to UCS as well. I have already moved out. I'm married with two girls! I can't really move out again lol! I'm still waiting to hear from ARU and UCS but my college only sent of my UCAS just before the Christmas break so I guess I will hear soon! Essex is probably doable for me as it's in Southend which is only 30 miles from me.
Colchester! But I'm at suffolk new college which is next to UCS. Hehe! That's odd.. My tutors finally sent mine off about 10th December and I heard from UCS, UEA and ARU before Christmas with interview dates.. Maybe ring them? I'm not sure:/ yeah I don't fancy the commute to Southend. My sister did it for 2 years and the a12 was a nightmare. :/ Essex is meant to be a good'un though
Mrsrogers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in Colchester Institute, Braintree (where I live), but two of my lessons are on Colchester campus and I went to school in Colchester! Maybe we should meet for a coffee haha! Yeah the A12 is a nightmare. I will get more of an idea of how bad when I go to my interview as it starts at 9am! Mine went off on 17th so only 2 days before christmas! I reckon I will hear next week.. I am hoping getting an interview at Essex is a good sign as they are more difficult to get into! Praying and hoping!!!
C_cooke
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I was gunna go to the insitute but I'm glad im at Ippy! How weird is that though?! XD yeah sure. I have college mon-weds. What days do you have college? I've got my ARU interview on Friday and I haven't prepared or anything:| it was either interview prep or my psychology assignments this weekend & I can't afford to get behind. I've got a lot of reading to cram in:/ yeah my ARU is 9-3.. But uea is 45 minutes bit odd. Yeah hopefully you'll hear soon as the deadline is this week so they're gunna be super busy I hope you hear soon!
Mrsrogers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in college tues and weds plus thurs eve so am free thurs 2-5 or fri. Oooh friday is soon! I am doing a psych assignment right now haha! Factors in obedience according to Milgram!
Mrsrogers
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just found out I have an interview at UCS on 30th!
C_cooke
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey! Omg!!! That's when I have mine!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (455)
56.45%
I don't have everything I need (351)
43.55%

Watched Threads