Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :confused: :eek: I was going to the shop and I had just stepped out of my door when it started to rain. So I went back in my house to get my umbrella. My unbrella has one of those material covers to keep it from getting dirty and it is a most beautiful umbrella. But, as I started to pull the cover off the umbrella before I was going to use it, I noticed a thick material like cotton on part of the umbrella. I didnt think anything of it, I thought maybe it just got caught on the umbrealla before and I didnt notice. Then I saw my umbrella was still wet as I had close it the day before and just put the cover over it and forgotten to open it to dry. But then, I noticed that the cover wasnt its normal thin self so I looked inside it and THE WHOLE OF THE INSIDE WAS FILLED WITH COTTON (or at least it looked exactly like cotton). I turned the cover inside out and started to pull the cotton away from the inside and it was coming off but IT WAS REALLY ATTACHED TO THE INSIDE OF THE COVER, LIKE IT WAS MADE LIKE THAT, BUT I KNOW THERE WAS NEVER anything inside the cover- can cotton spontaenously form like that? It is really freaking me out. Or is it some kind of mould, but if it is, it looks EXACTLY like cotton.

ReputationRep:
    I think it might be mould, you're not meant to put the cover on a wet umbrella. but still that's freaky.

ReputationRep:
    The sheep are out to get you. Consider this your first warning. Run. Run now.

ReputationRep:
    Probably mould. You seriously need to get it all cleaned off.

ReputationRep:
    I am enthralled and repulsed in equal measure.

ReputationRep:
    Burn it before the cotton engulfs your entire house.

ReputationRep:
    Please, PLEASE, take photos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    As am I of you and your diction! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    This situation shares certain similarities to the Border x Norwich (Norwich x Border?) canary tail feather situation I encountered and was warned by Kelo of the Moray Coast. DON'T PLACE THE UMBRELLA NEAR ANYTHING! The objects will explode. Take heed.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like a curse, to me.

ReputationRep:
    pic?

ReputationRep:
    hmm. eew. yeeuk?
    get someone to taste it?
    how can you not tell if its mould? have you pokeaged it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    hahahahahahaha.

Throw it out and buy a new one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peart)
    The sheep are out to get you.

oh noes, it's a warning imo

edit, more sheep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich~)

oh noes, it's a warning imo

edit, more sheep
    sorry! Got rid of The Strange Fluffy Material as soon as I saw it so I can't take pics but I am thinking, could the umbrella cover's lining have been made with a material that expands when it gets wet? Because it REALLY did not lok like mould, it was pure white and soft and cotton like and mould smells doesn't it? The Stange Fluffy Material didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes mould doesn't smell. Your desciption does sound like mould... Remember not to put the cover over the umbrella next time, or wait for it to dry off fully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curious~Leo-ess1989)
    :confused: :eek: can cotton spontaenously form like that? It is really freaking me out. Or is it some kind of mould, but if it is, it looks EXACTLY like cotton.
    :bumps: LOL! Thankyou for saying that! No, of course cotton doesn't just appear, that would be magic!
    I reckon the reason the mould doesn't smell is because of the type that it is. Rather than being the stinky sort on your food, all it wants to get at is the remaining rain moisture in your brolly. Just use a hosepipe and jet it off. Then leave it to dry. Properly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curious~Leo-ess1989)
    sorry! Got rid of The Strange Fluffy Material as soon as I saw it so I can't take pics but I am thinking, could the umbrella cover's lining have been made with a material that expands when it gets wet? Because it REALLY did not lok like mould, it was pure white and soft and cotton like and mould smells doesn't it? The Stange Fluffy Material didn't.
    You get cotton off a plant, so unless said plant has been in the umbrella cover, it can't be cotton surely?

ReputationRep:
    Just lick it and see if you throw up, then you'll know if its mould.

ReputationRep:
    Mould can be white and fluffy like that. Doesn't necessarily stink either, but it probably would be a bit damp-smelling.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.