The Student Room Group

Time off and extenuating circumstances request after having baby?

Hello
I had my baby on the 14th of December and he was born at 33 weeks gestation so premature and had a stay in neonatal on breathing tubes, feeding tubes etc. Luckily his condition stabilized and he was allowed home today.

He was due on the 3rd of February so a lot sooner than I expected! Due to this and understandably the additional stress and emotion of having a baby in hospital as well as needing to be there most of all the day I did not complete an assignment which is due in in a few days time, I feel that if I attempted a start now it would not be up to the standard that I could do. I also would like to take some time off, even if that time is just a few weeks or a month of permitted time off.

It is important to me that I do not defer my studies and I am confident that I can combine parenting with studying, I just feel I need some time to settle after having him even if this is just a few weeks.

I have emailed my uni explaining this and have expanded on the reasons. Does any one know what my likely response will be in regards to them allowing me the extension on the assignment and the permitted time off?
I don't think anyone can know exactly what you're uni will say, but I would imagine that you could at least get the deadline extended, as long as you got evidence of course. It really depends on the University policy on how long they would let you have on, I would hope that they would be understanding, I would imagine that they would have to let you have a certain amount of time off. I would say just wait until the University gets back to you, there's no point worrying too much. It's good to hear your son's ok :smile: , if all that's happened isn't enough to get you a extension then I don't know what is.
They'll probably just ask for a medical certificate and either give you an extension until you come back or if it's a small percentage of your grade say you don't have to do it and your module grade will be based off of your other work

Quick Reply

Latest