william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was just watching a TV show with my father. The show had video of a Scottish fishing town sometime in the 1950's or 1960's. I asked him why all the fishing towns have shrunk or no longer exist. He said because we joined the Common market and allowed European fishermen in our fishing grounds. Is this the case?
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not as simple as that. Fact is that a large number of naturally occurring fishing stocks were exhausted, such as seasonal herring shoals. Can't fish what's not there.

That and altered demarcations of fishing grounds, such as with Iceland and the Cod Wars. The resolutions had little to do with the EU.

The decline isn't marked from entry into the EC but from the 1950s.

The Common Fisheries Policy is unpopular but it's the least worst option by many counts. Without it the fishing stocks would be entirely exhausted.
Torum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Some people *cough* UKIP *cough* blame the common fisheries policy of the EU. However the funny thing is that Nigel Farage sits on the main body for that, but has only appeared 5 times at most and only to blame the EU although he could actually do his job, and change something.

As said above the main problem is lack of fish and it is ever harder to earn a living from fishing as well as other things.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Torum)
Some people *cough* UKIP *cough* blame the common fisheries policy of the EU. However the funny thing is that Nigel Farage sits on the main body for that, but has only appeared 5 times at most and only to blame the EU although he could actually do his job, and change something.

As said above the main problem is lack of fish and it is ever harder to earn a living from fishing as well as other things.
Farage and ukip politicians may sit on various EU policy making bodies, but they choose not to attend to make a point. They also vote no on every bit of EU legiation that is discussed at the EU parliment.

The snp will have you believe that the eduction in fishing fleets is down to westminster trying to punish scotland.

Two aspects have impacted in UK fishing. The industrialisation of fiahing, a modern trainer can catch a hell of a lot more than they used to. Incidentally, it was one of the reasons why whales were hammered in the 50s and 60s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b046pbk9

The EU does have some impact though. Prior to that fishing was a free for all. It was one of the reasons we had the cod wars.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FsOytZMRXo0

but generally fishing, as with most things can be be done better, cheaper and more effectively with less people than used to be needed.
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Farage and ukip politicians may sit on various EU policy making bodies, but they choose not to attend to make a point. They also vote no on every bit of EU legiation that is discussed at the EU parliment.

The snp will have you believe that the eduction in fishing fleets is down to westminster trying to punish scotland.

Two aspects have impacted in UK fishing. The industrialisation of fiahing, a modern trainer can catch a hell of a lot more than they used to. Incidentally, it was one of the reasons why whales were hammered in the 50s and 60s.

The EU does have some impact though. Prior to that fishing was a free for all. It was one of the reasons we had the cod wars.

but generally fishing, as with most things can be be done better, cheaper and more effectively with less people than used to be needed.
Interesting video. Makes me hate the British government even more.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by william walker)
Interesting video. Makes me hate the British government even more.
I'd recommend going to see a councillor or something.

You have deep routed issues that need addressing.
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Farage and ukip politicians may sit on various EU policy making bodies, but they choose not to attend to make a point.
Which is stupid.

They also vote no on every bit of EU legiation that is discussed at the EU parliment.
If this is a kneejerk response to all EU legislation, then it is stupid.

And UKIP would say the same about the UK/EU.

Quite, and it was harmful to fishing stocks. Better to reduce fishing in the medium/long term than have no fishing at all.

Indeed, as with everything, technology makes one man able to do the work of more.
william walker
Rep:
?
I'd recommend going to see a councillor or something.

You have deep routed issues that need addressing.
Yes I have deep routed issues the government caused me to have cerebral palsy and get bullied at school. So my issue are valid. The more I look into it though the more I want to destroy the governments power, or at the very least constrain it.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes I have deep routed issues the government caused me to have cerebral palsy and get bullied at school. So my issue are valid. The more I look into it though the more I want to destroy the governments power, or at the very least constrain it.
People are always going on about restricting the powers of the govt except when they want to stop people doing stuff they don't like such as abortion or gay marriage in which case, they are all for the govt having greater powers. Utter hypocrits.
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maker)
People are always going on about restricting the powers of the govt except when they want to stop people doing stuff they don't like such as abortion or gay marriage in which case, they are all for the govt having greater powers. Utter hypocrits.
However the laws against abortion and immoral marriage don't come from the government. They come from the Church of England and Protestant morality. Indeed the government allowing abortion and immoral marriage is increasing the power of the government and limiting the constrains put upon it by the Church of England and the Monarchy.

So the intent is to constrain the government. Therefore not hypocrisy.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
However the laws against abortion and immoral marriage don't come from the government. They come from the Church of England and Protestant morality. Indeed the government allowing abortion and immoral marriage is increasing the power of the government and limiting the constrains put upon it by the Church of England and the Monarchy.

The CoE is an irrelevance and the monarch wisely stays out of politics. Both are unelected and has no mandate to interfere with the democratic will of the people.

Right wingers are frequently the worse hypocrites since they are for free movement of capital and goods but against the free movement of workers. Capital and goods are simply the proxy of labour so they are stupid as well.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was just watching a TV show with my father. The show had video of a Scottish fishing town sometime in the 1950's or 1960's. I asked him why all the fishing towns have shrunk or no longer exist. He said because we joined the Common market and allowed European fishermen in our fishing grounds. Is this the case?
Fishing catch actually peaked in 1938. The innovation of industrial trawling has decimated fish stocks to the point that 94% of bottom feeders were wiped out in the post war period.

You should want to abolish the CFP but only because it harms British fishing (and some EU states don't even have coasts) and because the EU has done no more than stabilize fishing stocks at historically low levels.

Personally I would leave the CFP and then prohibit industrial trawling in British waters to allow fish stocks to recover. We'd have to compensate via fish farms but for a few decades, tough.
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

No they don't. Our laws regulating abortion and marriage are Acts of Parliament, not Church Measures. The Church could be flat out against them and it would not matter - what Parliament says, goes. It's nothing to do with Protestant morality.
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maker)
The CoE is an irrelevance and the monarch wisely stays out of politics. Both are unelected and has no mandate to interfere with the democratic will of the people.

Right wingers are frequently the worse hypocrites since they are for free movement of capital and goods but against the free movement of workers. Capital and goods are simply the proxy of labour so they are stupid as well.
The same old argument comes against democracy or will of the people. If the people say all Jews should be killed should it be done? If the people say kill 185,000 unborn persons every year should it be done? If the people wish to subvert the governmental system should it be done? Those of use who believe in equality under the law don't believe in democracy or the government or parliament, we believe in the governmental system as as constituted after the English Bill of Rights. We are known as High Tories.

Well I support open borders immigration and free movement of people, capital and goods, in and out of Britain.
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The EU has destroyed the UK, fishing was one of our best and strongest industries. Under international law all countries have an exclusive eocnomic zone where they control 200 miles off their coast. The EU allows all EU nations (plus some North African ones like Morocco) to use our waters
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by gladders)
No they don't. Our laws regulating abortion and marriage are Acts of Parliament, not Church Measures. The Church could be flat out against them and it would not matter - what Parliament says, goes. It's nothing to do with Protestant morality.
Well I know all know must pass Parliament. So Britain having an established Protestant Church and a Parliament which made abortion illegal and outlawed immoral marriage had nothing to do with Protestant morality within the culture which created the British state?

Well if the Church is flat out against something which affects the Church like Abortion or immoral marriage the Monarch should within her role as defender of the Protestant faith block such an act or send it back to Parliament.
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I know all know must pass Parliament. So Britain having an established Protestant Church and a Parliament which made abortion illegal and outlawed immoral marriage had nothing to do with Protestant morality within the culture which created the British state?
Has Parliament made abortion illegal? Last time I checked, it is legal in certain situations. And what is 'immoral' marriage?

Well if the Church is flat out against something which affects the Church like Abortion or immoral marriage the Monarch should within her role as defender of the Protestant faith block such an act or send it back to Parliament.
Why? If it's what Parliament wants, then Parliament gets. End of story.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Seriously, go and speak to somebody. You're spinning yourself up into a tiz.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The same old argument comes against democracy or will of the people. If the people say all Jews should be killed should it be done? If the people say kill 185,000 unborn persons every year should it be done? If the people wish to subvert the governmental system should it be done? Those of use who believe in equality under the law don't believe in democracy or the government or parliament, we believe in the governmental system as as constituted after the English Bill of Rights. We are known as High Tories.

Well I support open borders immigration and free movement of people, capital and goods, in and out of Britain.
Of course, if the govt decided some people must be killed, then it would be done just as if the govt decided to launch nuclear missiles at a country Britian is at war with and in danger of being attacked with nuclear weapons and kill millions of people.

Don't know about the Bill of Rights, is it to do with fishing?
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Seriously, go and speak to somebody. You're spinning yourself up into a tiz.
I think its too late.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (39)
36.45%
No (55)
51.4%
I don't know (13)
12.15%

Watched Threads