Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Mine didn't want me to go b/c they'd miss me. But I'd say that's about it. Anything for a good education I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    My parents just dont seem to be interested! Awhile ago i was considerin moving nearer to my college with a friend (live out in the sticks nearest college 50miles away hate commuting to and fro) my mum just asked who would do my laundry, wasnt even bothered that i wanted to move!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    However I do prefer the course at Durham more (war studies ain't my thing). on the independent school side it stands at 32% from independent schools which is slightly above average.
    If you get into Durham then you'll find that those from state/public schools are slightly different in what courses they do and what colleges they attend. Some colleges are up to ~50% public school, whereas some are as low as ~15-20% (I think).

ReputationRep:
    I am from Surrey, I thought I wanted to go to Durham, but I missed my grades and have actually ended up at the best uni ever, Southampton!

Learn a lesson from me

ReputationRep:
    my parents are the exact opposite... they don't want me to stay in london for uni because it is too expensive. they want me to go north. i want to stay in london!

ReputationRep:
    Some colleges are up to ~50% public school, whereas some are as low as ~15-20% (I think).
    colleges determine the make up! I would think that if you wished to study say history or classics it would be very high for independent schools. But if you study say at the other campus (can't remember the name) the figure for state schools would be higher or courses like sociology.

ReputationRep:
    my parents were very much of the opinion that i should go where i want to go, but that it is better if i learn to take care of myself by being too far away for them to "pop down" whenever i need something. They wouldnt have liked me to be any closer than i am (Staffordshire to Oxford, hour and a half-ish drive) even though they miss me. See if you can prove to your parents you will be ok on your own, start taking on more responsibility for you own life ie dont ask them for lifts places if you do now, do your own laundry, sort out your own food, so they see you will be fine away from them and they have nothing to worry about!

ReputationRep:
    colleges determine the make up! I would think that if you wished to study say history or classics it would be very high for independent schools. But if you study say at the other campus (can't remember the name) the figure for state schools would be higher or courses like sociology.
    It almost certainly is, I don't actually know many historians as there aren't that many from my (mainly state school) college. Queens campus doesn't offer sociology. However, it does offer Business, Biomedical Science and assortd other gizmos and is much higher in state school pupils and international students and much lower in admission grades.

ReputationRep:
    I ended up choosing Bristol, which is actually the closest university to home out of any of the six I applied to. However, I have only ever been home once in term time. If you make the most out of your student years, you won't have time to go home very often, whether you're in Durham or in London. Emails, texts and phone calls are what it's all about. Although my parents still seem a little surprised when I call them. They're like, "Oh! Hello dear.....is everything alright?"

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Durham and from the South East (Surrey). It was the uni I liked best out of those from which I received offers - the distance didn't bother me (or my parents). So I came here. And I love it

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.