Zeetingman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Back in KS3 espically Year9 English was so easy it was like a natural talent. Ever since year 8 ive been in second set english which is like the set below top set. My work was always read out in class and I got the top levels, my highest level being 7c. However in Year10 it's been a completly different story. We started our coursework, I thought mine would be one of the best to my suprise I got about 25/60. Which is like a C+ I was horrified, our teacher said that everyone needs to re-do their coursework since it's not good enough. So ive been trying to push up my grade, we got our coursework remarked and I went up to a B-...which still to me is a lame grade. It's a descriptive piece of writing. So we did our first major exams which determine our English sets...the english paper was a mixture of summary, descriptive and language anylasis. Tbh I don't know how to revise for English so what I did was read a book every hour then summarise the chapter and maybe jot down some words. Yet still I got a B+ I was one mark away from an A...just one. The worst thing was people in my class who were scraping the 6c's were getting A-. People that I could easily get higher than!!
I really don't know why it's so hard to get an A in English btw i'm in year10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You should go on Mr Bruff on youtube.
edsharon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have a look at the mark schemes to see what the examiners are actually looking for. Good luck, you'll be fine
tcameron
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing A-levels right now but got A*'s in english literature & language.
Best thing for the controlled assessments is to plan far ahead and make drafts to impove on by the time you come up to right the real one. Get the highest grades you can in the controlled assessments as they can affect your final GCSE grade more than people assume.
imkansiz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I have currently completed four of my English language coursework, for 2 i have achieved a C however my teacher is going to remark it and she said they will be changed to Bs. For the other two I have achieved Bs. I don't know why though i have tried my best. And i really want an A or A* for my English. What would my overall be if I get Bs on my cousrework and a B or maybe an A in the exam? Aswell as this, have you got any tips for me as youve got an A* for english? I really need help please?
imkansiz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I have currently completed four of my English language coursework, for 2 i have achieved a C however my teacher is going to remark it and she said they will be changed to Bs. For the other two I have achieved Bs. I don't know why though i have tried my best. And i really want an A or A* for my English. What would my overall be if I get Bs on my cousrework and a B or maybe an A in the exam? Aswell as this, have you got any tips for me as youve got an A* for english? I really need help please?
imkansiz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I have currently completed four of my English language coursework, for 2 i have achieved a C however my teacher is going to remark it and she said they will be changed to Bs. For the other two I have achieved Bs. I don't know why though i have tried my best. And i really want an A or A* for my English. What would my overall be if I get Bs on my cousrework and a B or maybe an A in the exam? Aswell as this, have you got any tips for me as youve got an A* for english? I really need help please.
imkansiz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I have currently completed four of my English language coursework, for 2 i have achieved a C however my teacher is going to remark it and she said they will be changed to Bs. For the other two I have achieved Bs. I don't know why though i have tried my best. And i really want an A or A* for my English. What would my overall be if I get Bs on my cousrework and a B or maybe an A in the exam? Aswell as this, have you got any tips for me as youve got an A* for english? I really need help please..
tcameron
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rojda)
Hey, I have currently completed four of my English language coursework, for 2 i have achieved a C however my teacher is going to remark it and she said they will be changed to Bs. For the other two I have achieved Bs. I don't know why though i have tried my best. And i really want an A or A* for my English. What would my overall be if I get Bs on my cousrework and a B or maybe an A in the exam? Aswell as this, have you got any tips for me as youve got an A* for english? I really need help please..
Simple truth...you will not get A* overall if you have B in the coursework. You need to get a very high A or an A* if you want A* overall.
I know people who got A's in coursework, A* in the exam but only A overall.
imkansiz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tcameron)
Simple truth...you will not get A* overall if you have B in the coursework. You need to get a very high A or an A* if you want A* overall.
I know people who got A's in coursework, A* in the exam but only A overall.
Oh okay that means I need to retake my coursework. Thank you.
CourtneyR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ive been working on coursework and have been marked by my teacher As but we did a mock exam and i only got a B+ would that drag my overall score to a B?
LumosNox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CourtneyR)
Ive been working on coursework and have been marked by my teacher As but we did a mock exam and i only got a B+ would that drag my overall score to a B?
Overall, it could be a high B or a low A - it really depends on how close to the grade boundaries you were. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ebraico
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Structue paragraphs this way:
POINT: Open with a point which directly answers the question, in one sentence.
EVIDENCE: Back up your point with quotes. Embedd them in to your sentences, don't just say "for example___"
ANALYSIS: Analyse the meaning of these quotes. What techniques are being used? Why do YOU think the writer chose to do this? What could this suggest? How does this link to what the question is asking you?
EVALUATE: "On the other hand..." could someone else argue against your point? Evaluate the analysis you've just put across. Yes, the writer could have meant X with Y technique...but could they have actually meant Z with Y technique? Or Y with X technique?
EVIDENCE 2: Find brief evidence to back your evaluation, not as much as the first time.
LINK: Link back to the question. Overall, what does this paragraph argue?

Hope this helps
Carrot_Cake_13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ebraico)
Structue paragraphs this way:
POINT: Open with a point which directly answers the question, in one sentence.
EVIDENCE: Back up your point with quotes. Embedd them in to your sentences, don't just say "for example___"
ANALYSIS: Analyse the meaning of these quotes. What techniques are being used? Why do YOU think the writer chose to do this? What could this suggest? How does this link to what the question is asking you?
EVALUATE: "On the other hand..." could someone else argue against your point? Evaluate the analysis you've just put across. Yes, the writer could have meant X with Y technique...but could they have actually meant Z with Y technique? Or Y with X technique?
EVIDENCE 2: Find brief evidence to back your evaluation, not as much as the first time.
LINK: Link back to the question. Overall, what does this paragraph argue?

Hope this helps
This is the PERFECT way to do PEE.

THANK YOUU!

Gahh.. my teacher is always telling me to introduce my quotes could you please explain a bit more on introducing quotes or how to do so?
roshers123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I understand how you feel, I am in year 10 top set. starting year 10 was a struggle but being very confident in what I do didn't make a difference. you should always be happy with your grades and always to aim higher than you grades and always think of ways that you can do better in future tests.
roshers123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it really depends on the other grades you get so maybe your average might be A B or even a C
Zeetingman
Rep:
?
(Original post by roshers123)
it really depends on the other grades you get so maybe your average might be A B or even a C
My average definatly isn't a C. Most of the work in my book is a B+. My coursework at first was a C+ but I pushed it up to a B. It's impossible to get an A. My current coursework I haven't even started I really want at least an A- in it. One of my exams I was one mark away from an A.
roshers123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zeetingman)
My average definatly isn't a C. Most of the work in my book is a B+. My coursework at first was a C+ but I pushed it up to a B. It's impossible to get an A. My current coursework I haven't even started I really want at least an A- in it. One of my exams I was one mark away from an A.
well that's good then if anything that you want to improve on then ask a teacher for help..
Zeetingman
Rep:
?
(Original post by roshers123)
well that's good then if anything that you want to improve on then ask a teacher for help..
Ya, I don't know how to improve?
I'm trying to read alot more books. But its so hard to revise for English.
germanshepherd_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey Guys,

I am also struggling with English Language and Literature -I am in year 11, and I really want to get an A*. I dislike English a lot, but I am willing to work hard and achieve a very high grade. English wasn't my first language, it is German I am at this stage - crucial stage for year 11s - where revising is key and so if focus, so please share your tips on how to revise for English that would be useful. Thank you.

P.S. I am redoing 2 of my controlled assessment to move my mark from 64/80 (B, one mark of an A) to 73/80 (A*). Any tips on getting high grades in controlled assessments?

Thanks,
xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
31.79%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.58%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (32)
21.19%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.27%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
25.17%

Watched Threads