Had unprotected sex, how long to wait? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
before any STI's would show up? should i go to a clinic asap? or wait a week?
NightShroud99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
going sooner than later would appear to be the wise option
Awesome Genius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wellll.....

It all depends on the person who you were having sex with. Are you able to have a frank and open discussion with them about their sexual history? Im guessing not.

So basically get yourself down to a GUM clinic. The only reason I can think of you needing to get down there ASAP is if you think there is any risk that your partner was HIV+ve in which case you could be given PEP (Google It). But they only give this in rare cases where the transmission risk is very high.

Go there anyway though, the GUM doctors are good to talk to, they'll give you the best advice. And you can use a fake name!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Adipoptosis)
Wellll.....

It all depends on the person who you were having sex with. Are you able to have a frank and open discussion with them about their sexual history? Im guessing not.

So basically get yourself down to a GUM clinic. The only reason I can think of you needing to get down there ASAP is if you think there is any risk that your partner was HIV+ve in which case you could be given PEP (Google It). But they only give this in rare cases where the transmission risk is very high.

Go there anyway though, the GUM doctors are good to talk to, they'll give you the best advice. And you can use a fake name!
Basically its HIV im concerned about. Obviously i have no actual clue if he has it but still its a concern, among with other stds
Awesome Genius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically its HIV im concerned about. Obviously i have no actual clue if he has it but still its a concern, among with other stds
The vast majority of encounters are deemed 'low risk'.

Theres loads of literature on the internet that is not worth worrinyg yourself over.

Book an appointment at an anonymous GUM clinic and talk to a GUM doctor about it. You'll feel better by doing it.
az08
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
HIV can take 2-3 months to show up in a test so in 3 months or so would be the best time to go to be 100% sure.

If it was just one unprotected sex session and assuming he actually has it, the chances of catching it are very very low.
Treeroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The chance you have an STI is pretty low, but I do recommend going to a clinic. Truthfully, you should get checked every once in a while whether you had unprotected sex or not, as you can still get diseases when using protection. I first got myself checked a couple of weeks after having one night of unprotected sex but I've realised that, given the number of guys i sleep with, I should get checked every few months regardless of protection.
dead101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You need to wait 2 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sambo2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The risk that the bloke you had sex with (assuming he is entirely hetero) is HIV+ is about 0.05%, and the risk of a HIV+ bloke giving you HIV following vaginal intercourse is about 0.1% - so your risk is about 0.005%. PEP (post exposure prophylaxis) is generally only offered where the risk is about 1/1000 whereas your risk is about 1/20,000 and so you would be unlikely to be offered it.

You should still go to an STI clinic to get checked out for other STIs though - especially since some of them can give nasty complications sometimes without symptoms.. Also, I assume you've thought about the risk you could be pregnant/are on the pill?
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
And the moral of the story is...

Don't be silly, wrap the willy!
Vikki1805
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
HIV can take up to 3 months to show.

You're best to get checked in 1 month, then go to a family clinic for a blood test (for HIV) in 3 months.

In future, use protection, it saves a lot of hassle.
C_tinie_D
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Vikki1805)

You're best to get checked in 1 month, then go to a family clinic for a blood test (for HIV) in 3 months.

Would they not be able to detect it straight away even without symptoms?

I'd say go to the clinic asap and then you can always go back, you can never be too safe.

Just learn from this experience, you'll be fine.
Vikki1805
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by C_tinie_D)

I'd say go to the clinic asap and then you can always go back, you can never be too safe.

Nope, most STI's won't show up immediately, it takes time (even without symptoms).

If OP goes to the doctors now and gets tested and it comes back negative, they're only going to continue to worry that it's a false negative and will want to go back again within a month or so.

I suppose OP could go now, but I'd still suggest they get re-tested in 4 weeks and again for HIV in 3 months.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by C_tinie_D)

It takes time for the markers in blood to reach a high enough level to be detected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
unprinted
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What did you do? Unless you know your partner is HIV+, if you didn't end up with semen in your bum, PEP is unlikely to be a good idea - a month of not very nice side-effects for a tiny risk.

The HIV tests every NHS clinic should be using give reliable results after a month. You can wait until then unless you have symptoms (pus, pain on peeing, that sort of thing) of anything else.
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh, and if pregnancy is a possibility for you, you need to think about emergency contraception.
Anonymous #1

3 months ! I did not know that.

(Original post by unprinted)
What did you do? Unless you know your partner is HIV+, if you didn't end up with semen in your bum, PEP is unlikely to be a good idea - a month of not very nice side-effects for a tiny risk.

The HIV tests every NHS clinic should be using give reliable results after a month. You can wait until then unless you have symptoms (pus, pain on peeing, that sort of thing) of anything else.
I'm not sure if he's HIV+ he's not my partner. and yes that happened, so thats why i was concerned.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago
Nope, most STI's won't show up immediately, it takes time (even without symptoms).

If OP goes to the doctors now and gets tested and it comes back negative, they're only going to continue to worry that it's a false negative and will want to go back again within a month or so.

I suppose OP could go now, but I'd still suggest they get re-tested in 4 weeks and again for HIV in 3 months.
When someone took advantage of me, yes rape, I began to have this weird itching and burning a month after the incident. I went to the GP, who did some swabs and sent them off. The next day I had a call to say ''You have Chlamydia''. I then had to go to my local GUM and have a full STD screen, which thankfully nothing else was present.

OP, I would go to the GUM clinic asap, rather sooner than later, especially as Chlamydia, if left untreated can make you infertile.

Good Luck!
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by XMaramena)
And the moral of the story is...

Don't be silly, wrap the willy!
No, the moral of the story is...

Don't be a hypochondriac!
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
3 months ! I did not know that.
They're wrong - that's for an older generation of tests. One month is now enough, however...

I'm not sure if he's HIV+ he's not my partner. and yes that happened, so thats why i was concerned.
... go to A&E tonight - none of this hanging around waiting for a sexual health clinic to open on Monday - and ask about PEP. I would be surprised if it's not offered for unprotected anal ending up with him coming inside you. You can then decide whether or not to have it, but Monday will be too late.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (430)
58.82%
Yes- I don't like it (40)
5.47%
No- I want it (211)
28.86%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.84%

Watched Threads