The Student Room Group

Is it too late to change A-Level courses?

At the moment, I am studying film, language and sociology, but I feel as if film studies is a waste of time for me. So I was wonder if I would be able to change from film to Chemistry, or is it too late now?

Also: If I wanted to, would I be able to change from A Levels to Applied Science, because I don't want to wait until the end of the year to do either as I find it too stressful.

Sorry about my grammar, I'm really tired, but I can't sleep because I am thinking about this too much.
Reply 1
Original post by TrashBoat
At the moment, I am studying film, language and sociology, but I feel as if film studies is a waste of time for me. So I was wonder if I would be able to change from film to Chemistry, or is it too late now?

Also: If I wanted to, would I be able to change from A Levels to Applied Science, because I don't want to wait until the end of the year to do either as I find it too stressful.

Sorry about my grammar, I'm really tired, but I can't sleep because I am thinking about this too much.

Chemistry is quite an in depth subject and I think at this time in the year you'd be jeopardising a good grade if you took the exam. I wouldn't recommend doing it but I suppose if you are an apt person who has tonnes of time I don't see why not if your school lets you.

I wanted to switch subjects last term but my school wouldn't let me. Wanted to switch Politics (useless and dull) for Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by MrJAKEE
Chemistry is quite an in depth subject and I think at this time in the year you'd be jeopardising a good grade if you took the exam. I wouldn't recommend doing it but I suppose if you are an apt person who has tonnes of time I don't see why not if your school lets you.

I wanted to switch subjects last term but my school wouldn't let me. Wanted to switch Politics (useless and dull) for Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry was my best subject at high school. It's pretty much the only thing I am good at.
Reply 3
Chemistry was my best subject at high school. It's pretty much the only thing I am good at.

I don't get why you didn't pick it in the first place, what sort of grade would you be looking for if you took it now for AS? What course do you want to do? You would struggle A level Chemistry if your not good at Maths and many unis wouldn't accept you because you don't have another science..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by MrJAKEE
I don't get why you didn't pick it in the first place, what sort of grade would you be looking for if you took it now for AS? What course do you want to do? You would struggle A level Chemistry if your not good at Maths and many unis wouldn't accept you because you don't have another science..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess I just wanted to do something different. That was a stupid thing for me to do. I am good at maths. I guess it was because I got a C in maths and I thought I needed a B in maths to study Chemistry, but I checked and I only needed a C. If I can't do it, I guess I'd try to change to applied science whether it's this year or if I have to start over again.
Reply 5
I guess I just wanted to do something different. That was a stupid thing for me to do. I am good at maths. I guess it was because I got a C in maths and I thought I needed a B in maths to study Chemistry, but I checked and I only needed a C. If I can't do it, I guess I'd try to change to applied science whether it's this year or if I have to start over again.

If you got a C in Maths you'll probably struggle to get past a C in A level Chemistry if you joined this year. I wish you best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on your school, the teacher and personally you whether the head of Chemistry feels you are apt enough to switch now and still obtain a good grade. Ideally it would've been better if you switched before Christmas since it would've given you time to catch up. At this point they most likely halfway through the work so there is probably a small chance of you being able to switch.
However I would give it a go but be realistic Chemistry is by no means easy but I wouldn't say it is unreasonable for you to start now and still get a high grade.
Original post by MrJAKEE
If you got a C in Maths you'll probably struggle to get past a C in A level Chemistry if you joined this year. I wish you best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really think she would struggle with the math's aspect of Chemistry at AS level if anything it's the easiest. The maths she needs to know is basic.
Reply 8
Original post by Jonn_Snowed
I don't really think she would struggle with the math's aspect of Chemistry at AS level if anything it's the easiest. The maths she needs to know is basic.

I'd say elements of, moles calculations + Hess's law might be a bit difficult. I have no idea on A2 though (I have heard there is a large maths content) and as she's already taking 3 I think she'd have to continue with Chemistry which could be a challenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I do also only go to college 3 days a week and I have 1-3 free periods on the days that I go into school and I don't really have much to do outside of school. Plus I don't get much school work to complete outside of school, so I guess it will be easy for me to catch up on work
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MrJAKEE
I'd say elements of, moles calculations + Hess's law might be a bit difficult. I have no idea on A2 though (I have heard there is a large maths content) and as she's already taking 3 I think she'd have to continue with Chemistry which could be a challenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is definitely a larger maths content at A2 I don't really think however the Math's would be that hard in which it would be to hard. It is challenging but it is doable. But I agree with you it is whether she would want to take it into A2.

Ehh I think AS chemistry is really basic algebra and multiplication and divison and Hess's law isn't really that bad once you get the hang of it. Really the problem is just remembering the direction of the arrows and equations. I personally think it isn't the hardest part of AS level chemistry but that might be me.
OP what you should do is have a look at what you would be encountering and whether you can cope with it. Ask for a friends textbook or have a look online maybe?

Quick Reply