Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much eye damage computers cause?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Does anyone know how much eye damage computers cause?
    i cant quantify it, but it causes significant damage esp..over long hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i cant quantify it, but it causes significant damage esp..over long hours
    what kind of damage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    what kind of damage?
    Yes, what kind of damage. I'm getting a bit scared now :eek:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dotlens.com/article-preve...e-damage.shtml

ReputationRep:
    Eye strain, etc. http://www.dotlens.com/article-preve...e-damage.shtml

ReputationRep:
    Here are some tips to reduce strain.

1) Make sure you're monitor has a high refresh rate, 60Hz is the legal requirment in offices but it should be set higher than this, mine is 85hz.

2) Make sure you have good background light, using a monitor in the dark will cause more strain.

3) Take breaks from the screen every so often to reduce strain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Yes, what kind of damage. I'm getting a bit scared now :eek:
    nothing that serious. can cause you to become short sighted if your prone to it. Also can dry out your eyes as you don't blink as much when you look at a computer screen. My Optition said long ours of computer use and contact lenese are not really a good combination.

ReputationRep:
    i'm wearin me glasses now hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    1) Make sure you're monitor has a high refresh rate, 60Hz is the legal requirment in offices but it should be set higher than this, mine is 85hz.
    I agree 60Hz is really nasty, i could never use a refresh rate as low as that. Right now im running on 100Hz

ReputationRep:
    A screen filter can often be useful if you have a desktop. Takes away most of the eye strain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    I agree 60Hz is really nasty, i could never use a refresh rate as low as that. Right now im running on 100Hz
    how do you know what it is? how do i find out?

ReputationRep:
    i'm wearin me glasses now hehe
    do u think your needing of glasses is down to using computers? I think mine would probably be significantly better if i wasn't on the computer so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

2) Make sure you have good background light, using a monitor in the dark will cause more strain.

3) Take breaks from the screen every so often to reduce strain.
    how do you check your refresh rate?

ReputationRep:
    right click on desktop - display properties - settings - advanced - monitor then look at the bit which says 'screen refresh rate'

ReputationRep:
    right click on desktop - display properties - settings - advanced - monitor then look at the bit which says 'screen refresh rate'
    mine was 60hz. i've changed it to 75hz now...that's the highest it will go. what does it mean?

ReputationRep:
    do u think your needing of glasses is down to using computers? I think mine would probably be significantly better if i wasn't on the computer so much.
    no. i'm only -0.25 and -0.75 and i've been like that since i was abiout 10, and i never used a computer then, and it hasn't got any worse even though i hardly ever wear my glasses

ReputationRep:
    ok ive set my refresh rate higher now what does it do? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Do what iiikewldude said.

The refresh rate is the monitor updating itself. As the what you're doing on the computer is changing all the time the input singal on the monitor must be refreshed so the image displayed on the tube is up to date.

The refresh rate is how many times per second this image changes. So if it was set a 60hz it would change 60 times per secound. The human eye can just about see this flicker especialy from a distance.

The higher the frefresh rate the lower the flicker hence better for the eyes. In the old days every time a camera was on a monitor you could see the ficker and it was quite scary.

ReputationRep:
    mine was 60hz. i've changed it to 75hz now...that's the highest it will go. what does it mean?
    it means your monitor won't take more than 75Hz without freaking out. The refresh rate is the rate at which the picture is redrawn on the screen. 75Hz is perfect - if find any increase above 75Hz doesn't make any real difference but the change from 60 to 75 is a big improvement. Does your screen seem alot smoother and less flickery to you?

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.