The Student Room Group

Abs or just skinny?

Can anyone tell me if I have "abs" or am I just skinny?
The above image was me a few weeks ago despite not eating properly for the past few weeks.

This was me a few years ago...
Much difference? Which one is more toned?

I weigh 11 stone and have done so for like the last few years, I'm around 6ft 1 or 6ft 2.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

skinny/10

abs on a skinny guy are like big tits on a fat chick, they don't count
Reply 2
Original post by Greg Jackson
skinny/10

But the weird part is I have a friend who is he same height as me and is skinnier than me, but he has no signs of abs at all, it's just fat...
A good test I like to tell if you have abs is hold up your arms in the air and tense, if you still have definitive abs then its not just being skinny that means you have abs
skinny/10

I think people only say this when they're jealous they don't have abs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
skinny/10

Original post by Lewierhodes
But the weird part is I have a friend who is he same height as me and is skinnier than me, but he has no signs of abs at all, it's just fat...

Most people who say this are pretty big and are mostly upset because they can't get abs themselves

Why is that weird?
Yeah, you're skinny mate. They are still abs, everyone has them, but they are purely thanks to BF% rather than a mix of low BF and exercise.
Abs and skinny. Just right imo, I'd kill to look like that. Hate the idea of being muscular.
Reply 9
Original post by e aí rapaz
Why is that weird?

Well because this guy just claims I'm skinny so, this topic always leaves me confused haha
Original post by Le Nombre
Yeah, you're skinny mate. They are still abs, everyone has them, but they are purely thanks to BF% rather than a mix of low BF and exercise.

Thanks! I really try and eat to gain weight but nothing, I do regular rock climbing and gym sessions but not much changes... hmm
I'd say you're kind of in the middle.
Thanks! I really try and eat to gain weight but nothing, I do regular rock climbing and gym sessions but not much changes... hmm

The climbing probably explains the abs compared to your mate, that's a serious core exercise.
Original post by Le Nombre
The climbing probably explains the abs compared to your mate, that's a serious core exercise.

Yeah I guess! I've been doing the climbing with no feet involved too haha, it's fun!

You can both be skinny but one of you have more or less bodyfat than the other. You may also have slightly larger abs than him if you're doing core work (such as climbing). Mostly it's probably because he has more bodyfat than you.

Many, many, maaaaany young guys think that they eat lots and it makes no difference. Fact is, most underestimate how much they eat and how much they need to eat to gain weight. If you really wanted to gain weight you could do, by making sure you ate more calories than you expend.
You can both be skinny but one of you have more or less bodyfat than the other. You may also have slightly larger abs than him if you're doing core work (such as climbing). Mostly it's probably because he has more bodyfat than you.

Many, many, maaaaany young guys think that they eat lots and it makes no difference. Fact is, most underestimate how much they eat and how much they need to eat to gain weight. If you really wanted to gain weight you could do, by making sure you ate more calories than you expend.

Gaining weight depends on what you are eating as well.

I think constant eating means that you will gain weight it's simple science but I can eat like **** for weeks then just eat less or exercise for a few days and I'm back to square one, no matter how much I eat I will never get above 85kg my body just won't allow it. I think that if I did more gym work I'd probably weigh more simply due to the extra muscle.
Original post by jam277
no matter how much I eat I will never get above 85kg my body just won't allow it.

The only way that that's true is if you are a miracle of science, a biological anomaly. And if so you should probably submit yourself for medical experiments.
The only way that that's true is if you are a miracle of science, a biological anomaly. And if so you should probably submit yourself for medical experiments.

Probably, I would just crap out the extra food and I have a really high metabolism(I find ways to sweat in the winter e.g.) so I probably am a freak of science.

In all seriousness if I just hit the gym and did more powerlifting as well as eating a lot I'd gain more weight but I'd rather lose weight.
Or a fast metabolism....

Quick Reply

Latest