The Student Room Group

I got taxed! - I'm under 18

So, I'm 16 (17 in a week haha) and work part-time in retail. My standard hours are 10.5 and I get paid £6.50/hr. I've never been taxed or had to pay national insurance. However, over the christmas week I did extra hours (34hrs - I'm knackered haha) and I should be paid £221 but instead I got £188.04.
£32.96 deduction - £24.80 to tax and £8.16 to NI A.
Can someone shed some light please? I'm trying to contact my manager but no ones answering in store haha!
Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Hey, the same thing happened to me as well! Where I work, on my payslip there is a tax office number which I had to call and they put me on an emergency tax code and shiz. Don't stress out, just call your HR department and explain to them the situation and you should get your tax refund on your next payslip :tongue:
Your age doesn't matter. Did you fill in a P46 when you started work? They work out how much you can earn per week before they'll tax you.

National insurance is worked out weekly.
Reply 3
Original post by OU Student
Your age doesn't matter. Did you fill in a P46 when you started work? They work out how much you can earn per week before they'll tax you.

National insurance is worked out weekly.

Pretty certain I can't get taxed as I'm under 18 and in full-time education?
And I don't recall doing so, no.
Original post by ImcalledKat
Pretty certain I can't get taxed as I'm under 18 and in full-time education?
And I don't recall doing so, no.

That's a myth. You don't get taxed because you earn under the threshold of £10k per year. It doesn't matter whether you're in education.
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
That's a myth. You don't get taxed because you earn under the threshold of £10k per year. It doesn't matter whether you're in education.

Right okay, I've read else well as well now. So it all depends on how much you earn...it does say weekly but also yearly, as this was a one off, can I still apply for a tax rebate?
Reply 6
as this was a one off, can I still apply for a tax rebate?

You can either wait for them to automatically refund you (usually happens soon after April) or contact HMRC and request the refund directly.
So, I'm 16 (17 in a week haha) and work part-time in retail. My standard hours are 10.5 and I get paid £6.50/hr. I've never been taxed or had to pay national insurance. However, over the christmas week I did extra hours (34hrs - I'm knackered haha) and I should be paid £221 but instead I got £188.04.
Can someone shed some light please? I'm trying to contact my manager but no ones answering in store haha!
Thank you!

Basically- you get taxed if you earn over £10,000 a year. Your age, or the fact that you are in full time education has nothing to do with it. Its just that being in full time education makes it less likely that you will earn enough to get taxed.
Its likely that since you earned more this payday, the tax office thought you where earning enough to get taxed. To sort it out, you have to phone the tax office and hey will sort it out, get your tax code changed and you should get the tax back next payday. The tax office number is 0300 200 3300.
Thank you!

I got taxed the other week for my last payroll for my previous job. When I called my previous employer about the situation they said that my tax code may have been changed and I believe the reason why is because I think I filled out the P46 form again with my new employers rather than giving them my P45 form because at the time i hadn't received it. What I need to is contact HR Revenue to sort out my tax code to get back what I had been taxed. If you've changed jobs that may be your issue too.

If you never filled out a P46 form in the first place that may be the reason why. When I started my first job they never told me I had to so I too thought that I just wouldn't be taxed because I was 16 and wouldn't earn anywhere near £10,00 a year, however I was still taxed and you have to fill out the form to basically say you don't earn that much, etc or you will still be taxed regardless.
Reply 9
I've also been getting taxed and I only work 7hrs a week at 5.33per hour (under 18 pay).
Any one have a number to call that doesn't cost a fortune to get my tax refund!
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A-SAP
I've also been getting taxed and I only work 7hrs a week at 5.33per hour (under 18 pay).
Any one have a number to call that doesn't cost a fortune to get my tax refund!
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can also email them.
Reply 11
what's the email?
Original post by Jesse.
what's the email?

Thanks for necroing a year old thread
Reply 13
You shouldn't get taxed under the age of 18 unless you earn over 18,200 a year. Same with me however I have two jobs but I don't earn near enough to be taxed.
So Im 17 been working at Sport direct for a year but im looking to get a new job but still keep sports direct for weekends do you know if ill get taxed because i have two jobs or would it be fine as in i wont have to pay nothing?
Original post by ltrott98
You shouldn't get taxed under the age of 18 unless you earn over 18,200 a year.

No. You will be taxed if you earn more than £11,000 in a tax year, and will pay NI contributions if you earn more than £155 a week.
Reply 16
your age does matter idiot
You should have no National Insurance contribution just. People under the age of 18 have no obligation to take care of anyone I don't think and they have few rights if any at all just that you have to be taken care of until you're 16 then between 16 and 18 you're still deemed underage because if you try to get a loan or a mortgage or bank account etc and legal stuff you're limited to basic things as you're brain is literally not grown or something like that. You've still until you're 21-23 to be a fully grown adult by law then I think you really can't make any proper decisions until you are nearly 40 and then maybe 50 would you say you've grown up lol it said that 50s are carefree so it must all be second nature at that age and no younger.... I think Einstein made all his big findings when he was in his 50s and a lot of the major books are written by much older people mate lol so stop worrying
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anfanny
You should have no National Insurance contribution just. People under the age of 18 have no obligation to take care of anyone

Being young is not a factor for NICs or for income tax, and not having dependants does not excuse you from paying. A 16-year old is just as liable as a 46-year old.
Original post by Good bloke
Being young is not a factor for NICs or for income tax, and not having dependants does not excuse you from paying. A 16-year old is just as liable as a 46-year old.

That is true I had meant to say it was council tax. But general to 18 for anything an 18 year old or younger has no liabilities or can't have any as far as I know.

Latest