Burn a book, get arrested. Threaten to murder, get appeased. Britain in 2015. Watch

Time Tourist
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2014...or-own-safety/

A 19 year old was arrested on suspicion of 'a racially or religiously aggravated public order offence' whatever the **** that means... he burnt a copy of the Koran and put it on youtube or something. He was released on bail but not allowed to go home because he was considered 'at risk' after death threats were made. Various muslims complained to the police about the video as well.

"Speaking of the arrest, Superintendent Mabs Hussain of Leeds District Police said: “We appreciate and understand the distress this video has caused and I would like to reassure residents of both West Yorkshire and elsewhere that we are taking this matter extremely seriously and progressing this investigation as quickly as possible.

“Due to the nature of this offence, any decision to charge must be taken by the Director of Public Prosecutions. We are currently preparing an advice file which we will be submitting to the Crown Prosecution Service in due course. In the meantime the arrested man has been released on bail to an alternative location.

“We are aware of strong feelings expressed by a number of people in response to this video. We would again urge people to allow this investigation to run its course and remind members of the public that we will take robust action against anyone who acts outside of the law”."

In short, burn a book - you get arrested and your life turned upside down. Make death threats, you get appeased by the police.

**** this country.

This nonsense has to stop, it cannot go on like this.
Up quark
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Dont mess

Posted from TSR Mobile
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That is ****ing retarded. But you know, the police can't be seen as racist/islamaphobic. Going around arresting what I assume to be angry Muslims. It is bad press.
Skip_Snip
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
lol islam doesn't have the best followers...
Time Tourist
Rep:
?
In short the British state is attempting to prosecute a 19 year old for burning a book in his house and putting it on youtube... this country is totally ****ed. This kind of nonsense has to stop, it cannot go on like this.
jaffacake111
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And of course I knew before opening the book in question would be The Qur'an...
Catholic_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What about Islamist demos where they burn American/UK & Israel flags? Isn't that inciting hatred? The police don't do anything about that.

The Poppy burner only got a £50 fine whilst the EDL leader who tried to stop him got a £500 fine for his actions :/
Helen_in_Ireland
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Since you don't already have a preconceived opinion on that news source, why don't you use The Yorkshire Standard in this case which has the exact same story as Breitbart.
Okay, thanks - I had missed the link earlier (and the guy is from the same suburb as me - which is also where the 7/7 bombers were from).

I have little time for organised religion of any kind but I understand that some people find comfort and order in it. Fine by me - but when it impinges on my personal liberty and civil rights I do get annoyed. I think that the perpetrator was foolish - he had the option not to burn the book (was it even the Quran or just a commentary?) and could have just ignored the proponents of the religion. The burning of his own property in his own home and filming it with his own camera should not be an offence at all so I presume that the charge came from the provocation of posting it to YouTube.

A stupid childish stunt - but I too am unhappy that people get away with death threats whilst the guy is arrested. Islam, like Christianity or Judaism, is not my religion, means nothing to me and thus the laws of that religion do not apply to me. The present reluctance of the law to deal with oversensitive cultural problems to the point of suppression of criticism is abhorrent.

I do not advocate gratuitous insults across a religious or cultural divide but urgent dialogue is needed with these communities to make them aware that threatening either physical or verbal violence is out of order and maybe they should develop a thicker skin when it comes to the right of ALL citizens to freedom of expression.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Helen_in_Ireland)
Okay, thanks - I had missed the link earlier (and the guy is from the same suburb as me - which is also where the 7/7 bombers were from).

I have little time for organised religion of any kind but I understand that some people find comfort and order in it. Fine by me - but when it impinges on my personal liberty and civil rights I do get annoyed. I think that the perpetrator was foolish - he had the option not to burn the book (was it even the Quran or just a commentary?) and could have just ignored the proponents of the religion. The burning of his own property in his own home and filming it with his own camera should not be an offence at all so I presume that the charge came from the provocation of posting it to YouTube.

A stupid childish stunt - but I too am unhappy that people get away with death threats whilst the guy is arrested. Islam, like Christianity or Judaism, is not my religion, means nothing to me and thus the laws of that religion do not apply to me. The present reluctance of the law to deal with oversensitive cultural problems to the point of suppression of criticism is abhorrent.

I do not advocate gratuitous insults across a religious or cultural divide but urgent dialogue is needed with these communities to make them aware that threatening either physical or verbal violence is out of order and maybe they should develop a thicker skin when it comes to the right of ALL citizens to freedom of expression.
I believe the charge is for inciting religious hatred. But what is funny about all this is when I step out of Birmingham New Street train station I am often met with Muslim hate preachers. I have never seen them being arrested for shouting "Down with the west" or "Retribution will come to the west". That is inciting hatred.

In essence it is actually racist to apply different rules to white offenders.
AntisthenesDogger
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This really angers me. Genuinely.
Time Tourist
Rep:
?
Another case of someone being jailed (for a year!) for making nasty comments... a case of the judge saying "You are entitled to hold whatever views that you want and to hold them strongly" (but I'm sending you to jail).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-fife-30580265

In contrast, man who put his girlfriend through 3 hour 'ordeal' & was left 'gasping for air' given suspended sentence

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/new...nded_sentence/
Helen_in_Ireland
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
I believe the charge is for inciting religious hatred. But what is funny about all this is when I step out of Birmingham New Street train station I am often met with Muslim hate preachers. I have never seen them being arrested for shouting "Down with the west" or "Retribution will come to the west". That is inciting hatred.

In essence it is actually racist to apply different rules white offenders.
The lack of action taken when the horrific abuse was taking place in Rotherham is the example I was thinking of.
-Native Briton-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone who wants to burn the Quran or the Bible or Mein Kampf or the Communist Manifesto has every right to do so !!
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone has the right to burn a book they legally own - it's their book.
Time Tourist
Rep:
?
... I wonder if the Moroccan women who burnt the koran will be arrested and 'investigated' by the French police in the same manner as this young lad was by the British police.... or maybe the French police are a bit busy at the moment...
Skip_Snip
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Time Tourist)
... I wonder if the Moroccan women who burnt the koran will be arrested and 'investigated' by the French police in the same manner as this young lad was by the British police.... or maybe the French police are a bit busy at the moment...
Other way round. The British kid should have been left alone.
Mac657
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Disgusting.

And that guy who got 18 sodding months in jail for having a debate on a train about Islam.

People get less than that for stabbing someone.

Islam is taking over us and our way of life. The leftists are completely culpable.
Farage is a hero
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mass immigration is a disaster and needs to be stopped.

Only then can we begin to deal with its effects, such as curtailing of freedom of speech under dubious 'hate speech/crime' which to me sounds alot like thought crime.
Skip_Snip
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wait, has the thread with the Moroccan woman burning a koran been deleted? o.O why?
Time Tourist
Rep:
?
(Original post by Skip_Snip)
Other way round. The British kid should have been left alone.
Well, obviously.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.11%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.93%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (193)
30.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise