Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cexy)
    I consider myself something of an expert on where to eat and drink in Cambridge, having visited every bar, pub and club and almost every restaurant.
    This, Sir, is an excellent post. A few points, however...
    • I've only ever had really bad food at La Galleria (nr, Magdalene Bridge). Been there three times now and been disappointed each time.
    • The Maharaja is good, but an even better curry house is (IMHO) just a little further up the hill -- past the dodgy-neon 'Cambridge Curry Centre'. Look for a small, anonymous-looking building with a yellow sign. Deliciousness within.
    • Other good pubs: The Bun Shop (apparently not as good as it used to be, not been there in a while, used to do good beer and cheap, good food. Also do *damn* good breakfasts. The Granta is another good one, especially if you arrive by punt and use the little stairs, for increased 'tourist-freaking' points -- that and the bench seat outside the bar in the evening.

For the record, my favourite places for food include Prezzo (cheap, good pasta and a decent wine selection), Clowns (cheap, filling, tasty, good coffee), Martin's (for which you have to be an Engineer, it's the law or something), Dojo's and for snack food-type stuff, I'll add a vote for Bridges' sandwich-shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderer)
    There's a takeaway down the street past clowns that does a proper big uber-greasy pizza if Gardies slightly measly ones don't do it for you.
    That's definitely worth knowing, cheers I was just thinking Gardies' pizzas were a little insubstantial last night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cexy)
    I used to go down to the Plough whenever I wasn't involved in bumps just to watch the races, until I realised that bumps isn't actually that exciting as a spectator sport.
    If you know your stuff about bumps though, the Plough is a crap place to watch compared with on the apex of Grassy. But they don't have alcohol there.

ReputationRep:
    Gardies is, for me, free (paid for by Clare Ents, Jazz, Comedy etc. so it's wahes)so it is quite obviously the best for me. Plus I have invented a few rather nice original combinations of things so it never gets boring. I think I've only paid for Gardies once or twice.

In terms of restaurants and actual serious eating places, I'm a bit unadventurous. The restaurant down by the quayside is OK, as is the restaurant attached to the Bun Shop.

ReputationRep:
    Two words:

Thanh Binh

The most delicious, flavoursome, fresh vietnamese food you'll ever taste. Not too expensive and you can take your own wine (with a bit of corkage, naturally).

Go, go go. I took my bf there for our first date and I think that's what won him over

Have the beef starter for me. I miss it

ReputationRep:
    great posts people, especially Cexy
    keep the suggestions coming tho, I think I'll try and giv them all a go at some time or other!
    several people have mentionned the castle, was there any particular reason? cuz its quite near to where I am so I'll probably try it first

ReputationRep:
    Castle Burgers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    with a bit of corkage, naturally
    Why 'naturally'? When I go somewhere that charges corkage it really ****s me off. There's nothing natural or logical about it.

EDIT: If you just want cheapish stuff, Pizza Hut all you can eat pizza is a good bet. Next week, me and my friends are playing a game:

10 slices: 1/2 challenge
    13 slices: 1/2 marathon
    20 slices: full challenge
    26 slices: marathon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditting Suck)
    Why 'naturally'? When I go somewhere that charges corkage it really ****s me off. There's nothing natural or logical about it.

EDIT: If you just want cheapish stuff, Pizza Hut all you can eat pizza is a good bet. Next week, me and my friends are playing a game:

10 slices: 1/2 challenge
    13 slices: 1/2 marathon
    20 slices: full challenge
    26 slices: marathon

My record is 30.

MB

ReputationRep:
    ^^:eek:
    how is that possible?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    My record is 30.

MB
    That ultimate challenge has just been christened 'The Bloke'

ReputationRep:
    My record is 30.
    a) that's distgusting...
    b) do you not have something better to do with your time? - people to corrupt/insult or something...:p: Scarf stealing and playing with girls hair clips... ^o)

ReputationRep:
    Any of u dudes been to the Ugly Duckling? Whats it like?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was alright, but overpriced for what you get.

It's the best Chinese restaurant in the city centre, though. Oh, hang on. It's the only Chinese restaurant in the city centre!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    a) that's distgusting...
    b) do you not have something better to do with your time? - people to corrupt/insult or something...:p: Scarf stealing and playing with girls hair clips... ^o)
    Well personally I thought it was a good effort (and it really didn't take that long). Admittedly I could feel my stomach pressing on my back by the end, and I couldn't stand up straight (Sam will back this up Owen). As for insulting, scarf stealing, and hair clips, that can all be done while eating Pizza.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogery)
    Any of u dudes been to the Ugly Duckling? Whats it like?
    Nice but expensive- the portion sizes aren't huge either from what I can remember- though that could've been becuase we got 4 dishes between 6 of us (my friends kicked up a fuss about the prices so didn't want one each!). Effes on King St is quite nice and a bit different, but a lot of spicey stuff as it's Turkish. Smells so good walking past it though!

ReputationRep:
    Effes is good!

The Wrestlers on Newmarket Road, near the Tescos. Best Thai in cambridge. MASSIVE servings. For next to nothing. Only gripe is rubbish lagers, but if you like bitter then great. Worth the ride. I go there twice a week. I am addicted to the green curry (which is medium hot, but can be tailored. I asked for really really really really really hot once and my tongue swelled up. Dammit)

IMO Browns is getting worse. Service is great and food is **** or vice versa. I used to love it. Not enamoured with their house doubles as standard spirits, especially when you're driving.

Loch Fyne average to say the least. Midsommer House, faaaaaaab. Nuff said.

Chez Gerard is reliable. There's a new place where that awful Route 66 diner used to be. Anyone been there? Looks nice

ReputationRep:
    I cant believe people actually like nando's! I live in Portugal (but I'm Brazilian) and they love having grilled chicken with beer. Cheap, but a little annoying!

ReputationRep:
    are there any sushi places in cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandi)
    are there any sushi places in cambridge?
    Teri Aki (on the Quayside) serves sushi among other Japanese stuff.

It's OK, nothing to write home about.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.