How Do I Prepare For Physics Interviews?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Walex12108
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,
I have two interviews with Exeter and Queen Mary for physics in two weeks and need to prepare for them.
Could someone give me suggestion on what to do to prepare, or if you've had one could you give me an overview to what knowledge is needed.
Thanks.
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I've had a Cambridge maths interview. I'm also interested in physics so had to prepare for that too as I mentioned it.
They want to see how you think about problems. For physics, you should revise anything on your A-level maths and physics specs, as well as anything mentioned in personal statement.

See if your school/college will give you a practice interview. These greatly helped me.

There is a maths/physics interview question thread somewhere on here called difficult maths/physics problems thread or something like that. Will link in a bit if I can, but last I checked it was a bit maths dominated. Look at the relevant questions there and get an idea of the kinds of questions they ask. Also google physics interview questions and see what comes up.

A good idea for difficult physics problems is to try the physics olympiads and Oxford admissions tests as they are closer to interview questions than A-level is. They helped me when I was preparing.
username1560589
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2986299
Texx
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Walex12108)
Hi,
I have two interviews with Exeter and Queen Mary for physics in two weeks and need to prepare for them.
Could someone give me suggestion on what to do to prepare, or if you've had one could you give me an overview to what knowledge is needed.
Thanks.
As someone else said, make sure you've brushed up on everything on your A-level syllabus, and remember they may ask you about things on the spec of different exam boards, so have a brief look at them too. Prepare for questions involving calculus and trig, I think mechanics questions are quite often used. Definitely go over your personal statement again, if you've mentioned a particular area of Physics you're interested in on it, it's highly likely you'll be asked about it.
Most importantly, don't worry about it. If you get really nervous you're less likely to have a good interview, as long as you show you're passionate about the subject you can't go too far wrong. I thought one of mine went pretty terribly and I got an offer anyway. You'll be fine.
Joinedup
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
What does the uni say the purpose and format of the interview is? afaik Oxbridge style high pressure individual interviews aren't usual outside Oxbridge and it's usually quite relaxed, possibly group interviews most places.
lucymwoodward
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Walex12108)
Hi,
Thanks.
Hi, well done for being offered interviews and best of luck!
I did 3 university physics interviews (Uni of Nottingham, Uni of Exeter & Uni of York) and although I was nervous, they were genuinely a really positive experience.
For preparation - make sure you're familiar with your personal statement and the material you mentioned in that. It's extremely likely they'll talk to you about the areas of physics you're most interested in and why that is. Also, I prepared by refreshing myself on basic formulae and rough estimates for values like the radius of an atom that I might have forgotten - this is more just useful to give yourself a confidence boost so you feel like you know what you're talking about rather than being a memory test.
I would recommend preparing answers for why you like the uni and why you want to study physics!
My advice would be to have confidence to ask questions whenever you're unsure - from my experience it's way better to be honest and ask
Good luck and if you have any other questions let me know!
Lucy
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lucymwoodward)
Hi, well done for being offered interviews and best of luck!
I did 3 university physics interviews (Uni of Nottingham, Uni of Exeter & Uni of York) and although I was nervous, they were genuinely a really positive experience.
For preparation - make sure you're familiar with your personal statement and the material you mentioned in that. It's extremely likely they'll talk to you about the areas of physics you're most interested in and why that is. Also, I prepared by refreshing myself on basic formulae and rough estimates for values like the radius of an atom that I might have forgotten - this is more just useful to give yourself a confidence boost so you feel like you know what you're talking about rather than being a memory test.
I would recommend preparing answers for why you like the uni and why you want to study physics!
My advice would be to have confidence to ask questions whenever you're unsure - from my experience it's way better to be honest and ask
Good luck and if you have any other questions let me know!
Lucy
You're a bit late with this
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (89)
29.47%
It went fairly well (141)
46.69%
It didn't go too well (47)
15.56%
TERRIBLE! (25)
8.28%

Watched Threads