Turn on thread page Beta

Can Eating Nothing for a few days ever work... watch

eating disorder? nah i dont have an issue with what i eat and i eat till im full i just only do so when im hungry (unless for a specific reason eg i havent had calcium in a while ill have milk/ yoghurt etc even if i dont feel hungry as im very aware that my age group bone density peaks and therefore requires Ca and regular weight bearing excersizes to strengthen bones). Do people think you should ignore hunger feelings and just eat regular meals? surely you should listen to your body on when to eat? there is that famous chef (though cant remember his name at the moment) who fasts also, citing medical research for its advantages (though i havent checked this up or anything). hmm no need to be nasty people i just want advice/ debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by January Victim)
    if you did biology,you'd know that after a period of not eating,anything from a few hours (in some cases) to a few days/weeks,the body goes into a drought/famine mode,where it tries to save as much energy as it can by using up the muscle,proteins etc before using up the fat in the body to provide energy.If you did biology and chemistry,you would know that fat which is a carboxylic acid,has more C-H links than all other sources of energy in the body (proteins or carbohydrates) and so fat gives off more energy than the rest,and since the body thinks it's in drought mode,it'll burn off all the rest first,and the muscle will be preferentially broken down before fat.
    Then I guess I never did biology or chemistry!!

Do you claim that fat is not burnt until all muscle tissue has been catabolised first?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    if you ate regular meals,you wouldn't have the hunger pangs to begin with. fasting is ok,for religious reasons even though i don't recommend it up until a certain age,but i would not disagree or argue with someone who was doing for religious reasons,because that's what they believe in,and even when they fast,they eat before they start fasting,and then they break fast in the evening,and they only do it a for a limited time period,and they drink loads of water to compensate.doing it for aesthtic reasons is what is bad,and an indication of an eating disorder because you're obviously not thinking the right way about your body to begin with.if you wanted to lose weight,one should normally think of doing it in a healthy way,not by starving the body.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by rock_eleven)
    Then I guess I never did biology or chemistry!!

Do you claim that fat is not burnt until all muscle tissue has been catabolised first?
    yes muscle tissue, then proteins, then fat is used up last,because like i said, fat releases the most energy out of all the materials that can be catalysed by the body to produce energy.if i had my alevel textbooks i would quote,but i can't.i'm at uni now and don't have any of them anymore.

ReputationRep:
    yes muscle tissue, then proteins, then fat is used up last,because like i said, fat releases the most energy out of all the materials that can be catalysed by the body to produce energy.if i had my alevel textbooks i would quote,but i can't.i'm at uni now and don't have any of them anymore.
    just to confirm then, no fat is burnt until all muscle in the body has been broken down, right?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    just to confirm then, no fat is burnt until all muscle in the body has been broken down, right?
    oh for goodness sake. most of the fat will not be burnt off until the very end and not all the muscle either e.g your heart is muscle but that doesn't get broken down until like desperation,until the very end, and the adipose tissue which is fat may be broken down at earlier stages,but mostly the fat is broken down last. so basically if she was starving herself,all the fat would still be there and she'd be using up the wrong materials to lose weight,and as soon as she starts to eat again,those will be replenished.so basically if you didn't eat (in order words starved yourself) and still able to take fluids,you'd last about..3 months max without food.one week without water.

ReputationRep:
    oh for goodness sake.
    hmm ok. Well, apparently my understanding of fat metabolism needs a thorough rethink. I'll look up those references you provided, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    you'd probably lose a bit of water retention but thats it, and you'll put weight bk on as soon as u start eating again, so not a good ideA XX

ReputationRep:
    the only thing i find that not eating does for me is giving me a flat tummy for a day lol! it's not going to work.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by shewantstobeme)
    the only thing i find that not eating does for me is giving me a flat tummy for a day lol! it's not going to work.
    true lol but then it goes back all podgy when you eat no fair lol
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    hmm ok. Well, apparently my understanding of fat metabolism needs a thorough rethink. I'll look up those references you provided, thanks.
    well glad to be of service someone's learnt something new.

i think youre getting a bit mixed up when i went out purposely to loose weight for dress i did it only with short term intentions, and then reverted to what i did before, i didnt then go on to intentially reduce my eating habits to loose weight i just thought rather then worry about what/how/much/when i eat, to eat when im hungry only if that was 3 times a day id eat 3 times but it just so happens that its not and im not like grossly underweight or anything im quite normal.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree. Fasting or hardly eating a thing just upsets my system.
    I think metabolism is better when you eat.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i think youre getting a bit mixed up when i went out purposely to loose weight for dress i did it only with short term intentions, and then reverted to what i did before, i didnt then go on to intentially reduce my eating habits to loose weight i just thought rather then worry about what/how/much/when i eat, to eat when im hungry only if that was 3 times a day id eat 3 times but it just so happens that its not and im not like grossly underweight or anything im quite normal.
    binge dieting is still bad for your body in the long run.you can't get all the nutrients you need from a bowl of soup.if you eat when only your tummy rumbles,the rumbling is the acid trying to burn your stomach lining. so if you don't want to get an ulcer when you're older,i suggest 4-6 small meals a day.that way you're never hungry and you're never out of energy,and it's healthy and you can still lose weight that way,even if only for a short period of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey, I want to lose a bit of weight but the trouble is I am pretty crap at sticking to diets for more then a week and making them work lol. So I was wondering is there anyway that not eating anything at all for a few days could work at all? Has anyone ever tried it, or been successful in it here or anyone u know?
    not eating for one day works, but you cna only do it liek once a week and the progress is slow. but it does work, btu only if you do it for one day, once a week MAX!! after that ure body clings to fat

ReputationRep:
    if you want to lose weight go to the gym.
    when you join most give you a session with a personal trainer for free, and they can draw up a fitness plan for you to follow.
    when i go to the gym i only wanted to go for general fitness and toning up... so my plan was aimed at doing a lot of cardiovascular exercise, and a few weight machines, sit ups, etc.
    And it's really fun.
    When I joined the gym I knew the guy in the road next door went, and he was in my circle of friends, and now we're practically best mates because we gym-and-swim three times a week outside of school!
    And you get to stare at all the hot guys pumping their guns <3
    Quite worth the £30 a monthif you ask me!

ReputationRep:
    Drinking juice for 3 days is meant to be very good to start a diet. It cleanses your body out of all the crap in it basically. Tomorrow I'm drinking juice before eating very healthy (salmon, turkey, veges etc) so I hope that helps or sends you in the right direction! Not eating is definitely not a good way to lose weight.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mtbab)
    not eating for one day works, but you cna only do it liek once a week and the progress is slow. but it does work, btu only if you do it for one day, once a week MAX!! after that ure body clings to fat
    stop encouraging her!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AntiLearner)
    Drinking juice for 3 days is meant to be very good to start a diet. It cleanses your body out of all the crap in it basically. Tomorrow I'm drinking juice before eating very healthy (salmon, turkey, veges etc) so I hope that helps or sends you in the right direction! Not eating is definitely not a good way to lose weight.
    drinking only juice for 3 days is binge dieting and is a fast track 'bad and unhealthy' way to lose weight quick. if you want to cleanse your system in the morning,just have water and squeeze some lemon juice into it. that simple. have loads of water and juice and fruit and veg. it really does work,i've eaten healthy and noticed a difference,there's no need to lose weight by starving!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how you can starve yourself anyway. If I went a day without food, all I'd be able to think about would be eating, the constant hunger in my stomach would drive me mental, I couldn't handle being too lacking in energy to stand, etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.