The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There is no quick and easy way to loose weight that is healthy, effective and long lasting. If you want to lose weight, you need to have a moderate reduction in calories and an increase in physical activity, eat breakfast, and drink water. That's it. There's no magic solution. I'm sick of people expecting it to be easy. You are changing your body - it takes a hell of a lot of hard work.
Well i would suggest Weight Watchers, the only problem is, it does cost a bit, but it is very effective in the long run.
Reply 62
Carl1982
That is absolutely true, but amazingly people here are encouraging her to go ahead and not eat which frankly is very stupid and will not solve anything.

You have got to have the normal 3 meals a day and with a bit of exercise your body weight will be healthy.

I also find it sickening that on some websites some people are telling others not to eat.

Does anyone remember the singer Carol Carpenter?

Do you mean Karen Carpenter, i.e. the one who died because of anorexia?

As for the healthy bodyweight thing... sounds like the OP already has a normal body weight, but just wants to have really good definition, which isn't in itself an unhealthy desire. Sounds to me like they're just lazy and undisciplined and looking for a quick and easy way to drop a couple of pounds, rather than being genuinely psychologically "off" and in absolute desperation to lose the weight.

I think with topics where people say they want to lose weight, people seem to forget the difference between a genuine mental disorder where people of a normal weight have a warped view of their appearance and think they NEED to lose weight, and people of a normal weight who are well aware they have a perfectly normal body, but just want to be in fantastic shape. It seems people always think it's the former, someone says "I want to lose a few pounds" and gives their height and weight, which is perfectly normal, and everybody reacts as if they have an eating disorder or something, when it's more likely to be something like them feeling a bit "soft" and wanting to be more defined.

Take myself for example: at the moment I'm 5'10", weighing in at around 176 at around 11% bodyfat. 11% bodyfat is actually lower than average, but I personally prefer it when it's even lower, not because I think I need to lose weight desperately, but because I love being shredded. That's a perfectly normal desire, and not indicative of any sort of negative body image at all. I think many people who post weight loss topics are very similar in attitude to me, perfectly mentally balanced people who just want to drop a couple of pounds, which is something perfectly normal.
Oh yeah i mean't Karen Carpenter, but yeah 11% is nothing, besides you got to have some body fat anyway, especially if you get very ill for a few days.
Reply 64
Oh yeah, 11% is really pretty low. I think Beckham's around 10%, so 11% is still pretty defined, but I personally prefer it to be even lower, which is why in a couple of months time when I've gained a good few pounds more (hopefully mostly muscle) I will be endeavouring to get it down from 12% or whatever it will be at that time to around 8 or 9%.

Nothing to do with thinking I need to do it, it's about a personal desire to have a body that's not simply good, but is awesome.
now don't all have a go at me because i don't have anything substantial to back it up, but i've heard fasting for like 2 days, not constantly, so not like anorexia, can actually kickstart weight loss as your body doesn't go into starvation mode that quickly. meh, i'm sure this post will be attacked but whatever

Latest

Trending

Trending