1234567890jen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The extent to which volcanic processes represent hazards depends on where and when they occur’. Discuss this statement.
subject1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 1234567890jen)
The extent to which volcanic processes represent hazards depends on where and when they occur’. Discuss this statement.
"where" - this could be about constructive and destructive plate margins. for constructive volcanic eruptions are mainly fissures or less violent. This would pose a smaller hazard compared to volcanoes found in destructive plate margins, which are more violent but less frequent. Perhaps the low frequency could mean that the population is not prepared for it due to lack of experience leading to increased vulnerability and hence would post a greater hazard.

Also, if the volcanic process occurred at an area of high population density (Montserrat) compared to an area of low population density (Eyjafjallajokull) then obviously more people would be affected and it would be a bigger hazard. If no there was noone around at all then the process isn't really a "hazard" as it does not pose a threat to human life and property.

Then there is also the MEDCs vs LEDCs argument. MEDCs would be better prepared for an eruption and be better at managing and mitigating the impacts of an eruption hence it would be less of a hazard as people are less vulnerable.

"when" - If it occurs during the night then many people would be sleeping so would not be able to evacuate as easily. If there were lots of warning signs before the eruption (gas given off, land bulging, small earthquakes etc,) then people are more prepared for it.

Again with frequency, if it occurs soon after one has just occurred people might be more prepared for it as they have more experience. However, you could also argue that if the place hasn't fully recovered from the previous one then the population would be even more vulnerable.

Sorry I sort of just typed and typed lol, and didn't really look at my grammar and spelling!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.78%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (359)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads