Turn on thread page Beta

Some questions about books in general. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,

I'm very interested in the opinion of other people about books.
    So it would be great if you could answer some questions as detailed as possible.

How much do you like reading?
    Why do you read?
    Do you read used books, too?
    For you what is a happy end?
    How important is a happy end for you?
    How do you find a new book to read? Which criteria are there?
    How important is the outward appearance of a book for you?
    How important is it that books of one series look mostly the same?
    Do you prefer paperbacks?
    Do you prefer books with some imprinting on the cover?
    What should a really good book be like?
    Have you got a favourite book?
    Would you prefer eBooks?
    Do you think that books have got a soul?
    Do you prefer a male or a female protagonist?
    Do you prefer a male or a female author?
    Which genre do you prefer?
    On scale form 0 to 10 how much do you agree with these quotes:
    “The worst thing about new books is that they keep us from reading the old ones.”
    ― Joseph Joubert
    “Good books don't give up all their secrets at once.”
    ― Stephen King
    “I cannot live without books.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson
    “Classic' - a book which people praise and don't read.”
    ― Mark Twain
    “Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
    ― Lemony Snicket, Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid
    “I don't believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book.”
    ― J.K. Rowling
    “My alma mater was books, a good library.... I could spend the rest of my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity.”
    ― Malcolm X
    “Sometimes you read a book so special that you want to carry it around with you for months after you've finished just to stay near it.”
    ― Markus Zusak

“In a good bookroom you feel in some mysterious way that you are absorbing the wisdom contained in all the books through your skin, without even opening them.”
    ― Mark Twain

I wish you a wonderful evening =).

Thalla

ReputationRep:
    Thalla, two suggestions.

1. When doing a survey, use a survey site like Survey Monkey. It will organise the responses for you.

2. When creating a survey, test it by trying to answer it yourself. You will then see how reasonable or hard or time-consuming it is to fill in.

For example:

(Original post by Thalla)
    So it would be great if you could answer some questions as detailed as possible.
    You have asked about 19 questions. If each one requires a detailed answer, that would take us about 20 minutes to an hour. Nobody will do that for you.

How much do you like reading?
    Do you read used books, too?
    How important is a happy end for you?
    How important is the outward appearance of a book for you?
    How important is it that books of one series look mostly the same?
    Do you prefer paperbacks?
    Do you prefer books with some imprinting on the cover?
    Have you got a favourite book?
    Would you prefer eBooks?
    Those questions, on Survey Monkey, with either a scale of 1 to 4 or a Y/N question, would be much easier and quicker to answer.

Do you think that books have got a soul?
    That question requires an explanation and a thread all to itself!

On scale form 0 to 10 how much do you agree with these quotes:
    Make it a much smaller scale. After all, what is the difference between a score of 2 and a score of 3? Why not just "Agree / Meh / Disagree"?

Arranged as a survey, you could gets lots of responses to most of these questions. For the questions requiring discussion, create them as separate threads.

HTH
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Follow Simes advice and I'll happily take the survey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Thalla, two suggestions.

1. When doing a survey, use a survey site like Survey Monkey. It will organise the responses for you.

2. When creating a survey, test it by trying to answer it yourself. You will then see how reasonable or hard or time-consuming it is to fill in.

For example:

You have asked about 19 questions. If each one requires a detailed answer, that would take us about 20 minutes to an hour. Nobody will do that for you.

Those questions, on Survey Monkey, with either a scale of 1 to 4 or a Y/N question, would be much easier and quicker to answer.

That question requires an explanation and a thread all to itself!

Make it a much smaller scale. After all, what is the difference between a score of 2 and a score of 3? Why not just "Agree / Meh / Disagree"?

Arranged as a survey, you could gets lots of responses to most of these questions. For the questions requiring discussion, create them as separate threads.

HTH
    It is no professional survey, so I can organize the answers by myself.
    I answered all of those questions already.
    A lot of people already answered to these questions and they wrote really a lot. But they like reading and writing, so they maybe like something like that more.
    I don't want just a yes or no or just a scale. If there is anything interesting then write it else give me just a yes or no. You needn't answer all of them. If you aren't interested in a question then I'm maybe not interested in your answer, because it is probably a boring one.
    I don't think that this question needs an own thread, because many just say no and some say, that there is the soul of the writer or the soul of the reader in it. That isn't so long and if you want to write a lot about it, then you can do it here.
    The difference beween 2 and 3 is the feeling. Do you feel like 2? Or do you feel like 3? There is no "2 stands for not really" and "3 stands for a little bit". I think that the people I already asked used all of the numbers. So there is no agree, maybe or disagree. There just is a number and from time to time an opinion. Some wrote 10!!!! so that I know that the person likes the quote really very much.
    I don't want just responses. I want to get to know what people think and I want that they can write it if there is something special about themselves, which I didn't ask for.
    While writing this english text I think I could have answered all those questions in german. And I don't even think, that my text will change anything. I don't think, that you would like to answer my questions. So the time I spend to this is useless and I nevertheless spend it. I don't understand how it can be, that for all those people it is too much to answer just five questions. So that this thread isn't that useless as it seems to be now.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    cu

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.