Turn on thread page Beta

When I used to do it I did it on my leg, I would have been mortified if anyone found out about it, so no I don't think my mother was ever affected by my doing it. But it ddi help me hugely, I have different ways of coping now, and I don't need to self harm, but at the time it was the only way I had to deal with things that were getting to me.

ReputationRep:
    when i used to do it i had to do the bleep test for school. i wore a jumper for it to cover it up. haha. i almost died. funny tho, the teachers never mentioned the jumper wearing...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Seriously don't self harm, in the long run it makes things worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    s this a normal thing to be thinking?
    Oh yeah, everyone does it. I mean, it's totally logical, why wouldn't they?

How else can I cheer myself up?
    Home made prozac - ice cream + brownies + smarties + percy pigs (not recommended to diabetics).

ReputationRep:
    Everyone loves a sugar high!!

Don't forget to drink 2 ltrs of coke!

Graham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Supposedly it can be an emotional pain release. It doesn't really work to be honest.
    you're right. it doesnt 'work' on a conscious level, but it does work on your sub-conscience. now, i'm not promoting self-harm here, so dont sue me.

some psycholoy study said you have sort of 'two-spirits'. the one is a bad spirit and one is good. when you feel depressed and you self-harm, you're actually trying to hurt the bad spirit inside you, so you feel the 'pleasure' of hurting your 'bad self', but you dont actually feel any better on the outside.

so, all in all, the bottom line is that self harm doesnt really work. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anjurdsg)
    you're right. it doesnt 'work' on a conscious level, but it does work on your sub-conscience. now, i'm not promoting self-harm here, so dont sue me.

some psycholoy study said you have sort of 'two-spirits'. the one is a bad spirit and one is good. when you feel depressed and you self-harm, you're actually trying to hurt the bad spirit inside you, so you feel the 'pleasure' of hurting your 'bad self', but you dont actually feel any better on the outside.

so, all in all, the bottom line is that self harm doesnt really work. :p:
    Sounds like Freud...or someone from his school of thought.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a load of BS to me...it is psychology after all!

lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)

lol!

ReputationRep:
    Hurt yourself by taking too much anger out on a punch bag. Atleast it helps get you fit at the same time. I find the punch bag very therapeutic.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand how you feel. I try not to self harm but sometimes do it anyway. I find it works better than anything else - in fact often it's the only thing to work - but I honestly strive not to because I'm scared that sooner or later someone will notice (ok, some already have I guess) and that the effect it has on them will far outweigh the relief it gives me. As a self harmer I know that it's not a cry for help and it's not some sort of failed suicide attempt; it's just a coping mechanism. But the people who love you don't know what you know.

Be strong, darling And if you want to talk PM me anytime...

ReputationRep:
    I actually self harmed accidentally on purpose. I didnt mean or plan to do it i just saw the opportunity and did it.

Then i realised how stupid it actually was.

Instead of confronting my feelings and worries i was bottling them up and was looking for a release that allowed me to completely ignore what was going on in my life.

Luckily i had some really good mates that helped me through it. But they still have no idea about the rather large scar on my arm is and how i got it.

i used to SH for a long time, usually on my stomach or legs where no one could see. It kinda transferred the pain and in some weird way it seemed easier to deal with physical rather than emotional stuff. I stopped about a year ago, but the scars are still there. now i understand why other people do it but i realise thats its stupid.

Keep posting on here, its hard to SH while typing. Or like someone else said, watch a film or something to take your mind off it. I found that the urge disappears after a while.

ReputationRep:
    Play a first person shooter like FEAR or Call Of Duty or Medal of Honour.... Helps me to channel that stress and anger anyday. (Seriously)

Michail

ReputationRep:
    I think what stopped me in the end was that fact that my scars took a year to disappear.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you've actually been in the situation where you've felt the need to self harm and done it, then it's very difficult to understand, so I don't blame others for not getting it.

To the OP: It's not unexpected to have feelings like that afterself harming in the past. If you need to talk to someone, I'm usually online, PM or msn me if you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)

lol!
    damn the pseudosciences

ReputationRep:
    *ahem*
    Only certain areas of psychology are viewed as pseudoscience, particularly Freud's approach. The majority of psychology is very scientific.

ReputationRep:
    Damn freud giving us all this ****ty reputation.

ReputationRep:
    OP: It won't make you feel better, trust me on that one. Instead it will just create a whole host of new problems that you don't need to be dealing with. If you're feeling ill then visit your doctor. Why is your bf ignoring you? Does he know about the self harm? Maybe try to talk to him. I've been getting really irritable with my bf lately, and i know its due to the fact my depression has flared up. Try and distract yourself, and focus on feeling better instead of making yourself feel worse.

You say you've stopped self harming and that's a really positive step, i stopped about 7 months ago (though i've self harmed on/off for about 9 years now). It's not easy i know, and when things get bad the immediate reaction is to turn to self harm, as its all you know as your coping mechanism, but really push yourself not to. and be proud for doing so. if you're depressed this could be affecting your immune system which in turn will be affecting you phsyically.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.