Turn on thread page Beta

US Imposes New Sanctions on North Korea for Sony Hackings watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Your opinions?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30661973

ReputationRep:
    Sanctions just make people suffer and increase support the the NK regime as they are seen as resistant to US imperailistic actions. Plus I thought NK wasn't behind the attacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    Sanctions just make people suffer and increase support the the NK regime as they are seen as resistant to US imperailistic actions. Plus I thought NK wasn't behind the attacks.
    NK may not be behind the attacks, but the US thinks they are. So in international relations the perceived 'truth' is more important than the actual truth.

I think the US should do what it did with BDA (Banco Delta Asia) back in 2006 (if I'm right), and force banks to stop dealing with North Korea.

ReputationRep:
    America's gods chosen people just want a central bank in North Korea and a military base. The hackings are probably a hoax just to hype the Hollywood movie that vilifies North Korea and their leader.What sanctions are they imposing now? What left is there to sanction?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    So how would you respond to north Korea?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But North Korea wasn't responsible for the hacking. The real culprit was revealed weeks ago.

The US just want to be ****s as usual.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by flibber)
    Your opinions?
    Hi, just so you know, I've added a source to your post for you. Please try and include one in any future news stories you post about. Thanks.

The trade between the US and NK is so minimal that I doubt these sanctions are going to have much effect at all. I'm a little surprised they've been imposed though, seeing as there hasn't been any solid proof that NK was actually behind the Sony hackings yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    Hi, just so you know, I've added a source to your post for you. Please try and include one in any future news stories you post about. Thanks.

The trade between the US and NK is so minimal that I doubt these sanctions are going to have much effect at all. I'm a little surprised they've been imposed though, seeing as there hasn't been any solid proof that NK was actually behind the Sony hackings yet.
    Thank you for editing my post, and indeed I shall provide a link in the future.

Would you say forcing banks to freeze North Korean officials' bank accounts would work to shut the regime of illicit money?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thank you for editing my post, and indeed I shall provide a link in the future.

Would you say forcing banks to freeze North Korean officials' bank accounts would work to shut the regime of illicit money?
    No worries.

I can't say I know enough to really comment on that. But from what I can tell, the sanctions are mostly intended to 'isolate North Korea's defense industry as deterrent for future cyber-attacks.' That's according to the BBC anyway.

ReputationRep:
    My housemate lecturerer is a cyber security contractor for the governement, and he laughed at that idea. The idea that N. Korea with 1 internet line that runs through the country can do this. You know the one internet line when goes down, the entire countries internet goes down. And the fact that Obama very quickly held a press conference, stating it was N.Korea without any evidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimilovell)
    My housemate lecturerer is a cyber security contractor for the governement, and he laughed at that idea. The idea that N. Korea with 1 internet line that runs through the country can do this. You know the one internet line when goes down, the entire countries internet goes down. And the fact that Obama very quickly held a press conference, stating it was N.Korea without any evidence.
    In your opinion, if it wasn't North Korea, who else would have wanted to hack Sony, and why can't you just look at the IP address to find the real hackers? I thought unless you use software such as Tor, the traces of any click on the internet could always be detected.

ReputationRep:
    why can't you just look at the IP address to find the real hackers? I thought unless you use software such as Tor, the traces of any click on the internet could always be detected.
    Unless the investigating body has physical access to much of the entire route, it is easy to fake someone's source.

The IT media has been full of comments about how poor it is the US government appears to have used IP addresses to locate the source.

IP spoofing is trivial.

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion, if it wasn't North Korea, who else would have wanted to hack Sony, and why can't you just look at the IP address to find the real hackers? I thought unless you use software such as Tor, the traces of any click on the internet could always be detected.
    IP address can be changed quickly by having VPN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Unless the investigating body has physical access to much of the entire route, it is easy to fake someone's source.

The IT media has been full of comments about how poor it is the US government appears to have used IP addresses to locate the source.

IP spoofing is trivial.

(Original post by mimilovell)
    IP address can be changed quickly by having VPN.
    Would you two say that it's ironic that the NSA is able to collect telephone data from millions of Americans and even find out what you have typed on the keyboard and yet fail to identify the hackers of Sony (given that people complain that the US government is acting in the interests of big companies) despite their technology?

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.