Are AQA A Level Science questions the same style as their GCSE questions?

Watch this thread
flibber
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I hate the AQA GCSE Science Papers (I'm doing Triple Science) papers, as they often test the material indirectly or put annoying stuff, e.g. they test an application of the theory (so sometimes I don't know what it's testing me about) or put those annoying 'suggest' questions or those 'graph' questions (like categroric, continuous data). Is it the same for A Level?
suirrel
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Yes.

If you find application of knowledge tough at GCSE level, you're in for a shock at A level. Instead of just memorising lines of information, try to make sure you fully understand the concepts, the reasons behind the end product.
flibber
Rep:
(Original post by suirrel)
Yes.

If you find application of knowledge tough at GCSE level, you're in for a shock at A level. Instead of just memorising lines of information, try to make sure you fully understand the concepts, the reasons behind the end product.
I'm quite surprised to hear that. I thought A Level would be much more theory based.
suirrel
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by flibber)
I'm quite surprised to hear that. I thought A Level would be much more theory based.
Theory IS application of knowledge, haha. If you truly understand your scientific theory then you will be able to apply your knowledge, because you will be able to recognise similar themes in the text and results.

What subjects are you struggling with more? I did double science GCSE (got A in core and B in additional) and do biology and chemistry at AS level so I could give you more specific advice if you need it.
flibber
Rep:
(Original post by suirrel)
Theory IS application of knowledge, haha. If you truly understand your scientific theory then you will be able to apply your knowledge, because you will be able to recognise similar themes in the text and results.

What subjects are you struggling with more? I did double science GCSE (got A in core and B in additional) and do biology and chemistry at AS level so I could give you more specific advice if you need it.
It's mostly Physics I'm struggling with for application. I'm mostly fine for Biology and Chemistry (although the How Science Works questions annoy me.)- for those two I just need to revise more (I still scraped A*s for all the sciences in my mocks though).
I thought theory is like:

1) Describe why metals are good conductors of heat and electricity?

And application is like:

1 (a) The arrow represents the force on the water produced by the engine propeller.
This force causes the boat to move.
Explain why.

So often I know the theory, but when they give an application, I sometimes just don't know what it's testing me about.

By the way, how would I revise How Science Works?
suirrel
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by flibber)
It's mostly Physics I'm struggling with for application. I'm mostly fine for Biology and Chemistry (although the How Science Works questions annoy me.)- for those two I just need to revise more (I still scraped A*s for all the sciences in my mocks though).
I thought theory is like:

1) Describe why metals are good conductors of heat and electricity?

And application is like:

1 (a) The arrow represents the force on the water produced by the engine propeller.
This force causes the boat to move.
Explain why.

So often I know the theory, but when they give an application, I sometimes just don't know what it's testing me about.

By the way, how would I revise How Science Works?
Yep, pretty much all the questions at A level are application. You'll get used to it.

To answer 1a, surely the answer is "the forces cause the boat to move because the forward force from the propeller is greater than the dragging friction of the water on the boat"? Or something like that? I think you have to practice questions and read more around the subject, it doesn't sound like you fully understand the concepts behind science.

Same for "how science works", you need to be able to understand the concepts you're being taught to be able to pluck information from your brain.

Do you do many past papers? I recommend doing a lot of past papers and exam questions. If you understand how things are marked then you will be able to decide better what information to put down.

Honestly if you're getting A*s then you reaaally don't have to worry. You understand GCSE level things fine... relax lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads