The Student Room Group

What is Decision Maths like?

Hey everyone! I'm taking Decision Maths as one of my A-levels when I go to college next year and was just wondering what your opinions on it are? I sometimes enjoy maths but sometimes I find it a bit frustrating if I don't understand how to solve something. I took decision maths because I am also studying computer programming & software development so it would really help!
I just want to know what you like and dislike about the subject, anything you think I should know etc

Thanks all! :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by FrozenSteph
Hey everyone! I'm taking Decision Maths as one of my A-levels when I go to college next year and was just wondering what your opinions on it are? I sometimes enjoy maths but sometimes I find it a bit frustrating if I don't understand how to solve something. I took decision maths because I am also studying computer programming & software development so it would really help!
I just want to know what you like and dislike about the subject, anything you think I should know etc

personal opinion

absolute pants

(what do I dislike?
every single molecule of it)
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
personal opinion

absolute pants

(what do I dislike?
every single molecule of it)

Oh great:frown: Why do you not like it?
Reply 3
Another thing- it is easy or hard? Is it boring & repetitive or challenging?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4

If I ever have trouble sleeping, it's my go-to solution. Easy, but so incredibly boring it becomes almost difficult in the sense that you need to fight to keep yourself alive!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Oh great:frown: Why do you not like it?

I am totally disinterested in the the problems that is dealing with.
Reply 6
Original post by TajwarC
If I ever have struggle sleeping, it's my go-to solution. Easy, but so incredibly boring it becomes almost difficult in the sense that you need to fight to keep yourself alive!

I see what you mean! I think I am the type of person that prefers easy over challenging, so I guess it's not too bad^_^
I don't like boring though :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by TeeEm
I am totally disinterested in the the problems that is dealing with.

Fair enough, sounds like I'll have to trudge through it then :pinch:
Reply 8
Fair enough, sounds like I'll have to trudge through it then :pinch:

I hope you enjoy it.
Reply 9

D1 and D2?

I'm taking both of them as part of one of f maths a levels, done D1 so far and seems quite un-mathsey if I'm honest. I found myself sometimes being a bit frustrated that I couldn't check my work as easily as I could with say, mechanics or core stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see what you mean! I think I am the type of person that prefers easy over challenging, so I guess it's not too bad^_^
I don't like boring though :frown:

Not going to lie, it depends how you think. For some (including myself) it can be quite difficult to get your head around at first so at the beginning it could be challenging. But not in a fun way...
Original post by MrJAKEE
D1 and D2?

I'm taking both of them as part of one of f maths a levels, done D1 so far and seems quite un-mathsey if I'm honest. I found myself sometimes being a bit frustrated that I couldn't check my work as easily as I could with say, mechanics or core stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not really sure if its D1 and D2, it says in the book "On this course you will study two core units (Pure Maths) and one of your chosen applied option (Decision Maths)."
So I am doing a bit of core and a bit of decision I think?
Original post by TajwarC
Not going to lie, it depends how you think. For some (including myself) it can be quite difficult to get your head around at first so at the beginning it could be challenging. But not in a fun way...

Ah okay, I'm starting to understand it a bit more! So it get easier after the first parts then?
Ah okay, I'm starting to understand it a bit more! So it get easier after the first parts then?

Maths always gets easier when you practice, it's just it takes a bit longer for me personally with D1 due to the reasons I've mentioned. As you can tell I hate D1 :biggrin:
Original post by TajwarC
Maths always gets easier when you practice, it's just it takes a bit longer for me personally with D1 due to the reasons I've mentioned. As you can tell I hate D1 :biggrin:

Haha yeah, D1 sounds kinda frustrating! Hopefully I can wrap my head around it!:smartass:
Reply 15
Another thing- it is easy or hard? Is it boring & repetitive or challenging?

For me, D1 is the easiest course in my entire AS and my teacher says it is also in terms of actual knowledge. But it is the most laborious course to grind through because the concepts are so boring, and I find myself pressed for time doing papers because it isn't just writing out algebra.

I'd say take it though, and those are just my personal opinions so you should obviously take what I say with a pinch of salt!
Original post by Asurat
For me, D1 is the easiest course in my entire AS and my teacher says it is also in terms of actual knowledge. But it is the most laborious course to grind through because the concepts are so boring, and I find myself pressed for time doing papers because it isn't just writing out algebra.

I'd say take it though, and those are just my personal opinions so you should obviously take what I say with a pinch of salt!

Thanks that really helped! I don't mind spending a lot of time on maths as long as I actually understand what I'm doing so I think it'll be okay for me:biggrin:
Reply 17
Thanks that really helped! I don't mind spending a lot of time on maths as long as I actually understand what I'm doing so I think it'll be okay for me:biggrin:

No problem! But I think it's worth stressing that there aren't (many) shortcuts in D1 and marking can be harsh because getting the answer is simple. So if you're good at strictly following basic instructions then you should be alright.
Original post by Asurat
No problem! But I think it's worth stressing that there aren't (many) shortcuts in D1 and marking can be harsh because getting the answer is simple. So if you're good at strictly following basic instructions then you should be alright.

Yeah I think that will be good for me :biggrin: Thanks for all the tips!
Reply 19
I'll be honest.

I did Decision maths at AS and got 16/100 in it. I hated every minute of it because not only is it boring but so repetitive and all your answers have to be in an order. It is easy to lose so many marks so quickly.

When I retook my AS maths I changed to stats and got 86/100. I found it to be relatively more exciting and more logical.

My opinion is it is worst branch of maths. I hated it with a passion. But that is just my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest