Turn on thread page Beta

Trouble for skiving sixth form...... watch

Announcements

hey guys
    so basically i couldn't be bothered with thursday last lesson which i already had in the morning but because it was double i just didn't attend so i went home and told my mum i didn't have to go.
    next thing u no i get a phone call home from sixth form from this very weird teacher who knows who i am and they said that ' they thought id gone missing, we checked the whole building for etc'
    and i made a escuse saying i was ill and forgot to tell guidance etc etc

ive skived other lessons before but why was this made a big deal, bear in mind this teacher came back and i felt angry because im 17 and i have to be treated like a kid... overprotected ? i dont understand, why was this done for me? ive never heard any1 else get in trouble for skiving before...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hey guys
    so basically i couldn't be bothered with thursday last lesson which i already had in the morning but because it was double i just didn't attend so i went home and told my mum i didn't have to go.
    next thing u no i get a phone call home from sixth form from this very weird teacher who knows who i am and they said that ' they thought id gone missing, we checked the whole building for etc'
    and i made a escuse saying i was ill and forgot to tell guidance etc etc

ive skived other lessons before but why was this made a big deal, bear in mind this teacher came back and i felt angry because im 17 and i have to be treated like a kid... overprotected ? i dont understand, why was this done for me? ive never heard any1 else get in trouble for skiving before...
    So you have a very kind teacher who was worried about you. Aren't you pleased?

I know you've said you feel as though you are being treated like a child but it sounds like just good sense to me. Wouldn't you be worried if your friend had been at a lesson in the morning but was no where to be seen in the afternoon?

On a more serious note, why are you skiving off lessons? If you don't want to be in that lesson in school/college why don't you do something you do want to do?

This is a very important time in your life and what you do now may affect your life for years to come. Schools/ colleges will write references for you for years to come - for higher education, jobs etc. getting a reputation for being unreliable, lazy, not interested is really shooting yourself in the foot.

I think it would be helpful for you if you could talk to a counsellor about why you are finding it difficult to settle down to your work.

Have you got any ideas about the sort of job you would like? What do you have to do to achieve this? I know plenty of people don't have a clear idea but it might be helpful if you started to look around to see what you might enjoy or equally important what you definitely wouldn't enjoy. Try ans get some work experience in the areas you might like to try.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    There is an attitude issue that could be addressed here on your part - a counsellor might be a good idea right now. Hopefully it will help you find your motivation and confidence again.

Sorry to break it to you, but at 17 you are still legally a child, and until you leave school/college, they are legally responsible for you when you are supposed to be under their care, and you have to live by the rules and sanctions they set out. If you just do that, it makes things so much easier for yourself as they're all magically off your case.

ReputationRep:
    ive been skiving a lot lately

(Original post by Mimir)
    There is an attitude issue that could be addressed here on your part - a counsellor might be a good idea right now. Hopefully it will help you find your motivation and confidence again.

Sorry to break it to you, but at 17 you are still legally a child, and until you leave school/college, they are legally responsible for you when you are supposed to be under their care, and you have to live by the rules and sanctions they set out. If you just do that, it makes things so much easier for yourself as they're all magically off your case.
    A counsellor will never work with me but I understand, thanks for your help

(Original post by pickup)
    So you have a very kind teacher who was worried about you. Aren't you pleased?

I know you've said you feel as though you are being treated like a child but it sounds like just good sense to me. Wouldn't you be worried if your friend had been at a lesson in the morning but was no where to be seen in the afternoon?

On a more serious note, why are you skiving off lessons? If you don't want to be in that lesson in school/college why don't you do something you do want to do?

This is a very important time in your life and what you do now may affect your life for years to come. Schools/ colleges will write references for you for years to come - for higher education, jobs etc. getting a reputation for being unreliable, lazy, not interested is really shooting yourself in the foot.

I think it would be helpful for you if you could talk to a counsellor about why you are finding it difficult to settle down to your work.

Have you got any ideas about the sort of job you would like? What do you have to do to achieve this? I know plenty of people don't have a clear idea but it might be helpful if you started to look around to see what you might enjoy or equally important what you definitely wouldn't enjoy. Try ans get some work experience in the areas you might like to try.
    Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2015
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.