Turn on thread page Beta

Do turned-down girls actually become your friends? watch

I often wonder why many, most, of the girls to whom I said that I prefer them to be just friends... actually never became Friends.
    Did they want only sex?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    :yawn: depends how you turned them down and maybe you're not friend material

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I often wonder why many, most, of the girls to whom I said that I prefer them to be just friends... actually never became Friends.
    Did they want only sex?
    wtf?!

lol, no!

they wanted relationship. but you turned them down and they got hurt and they left, deciding never to talk to you again.

females are so sensitive, lol

thats all

aww.. and how can i be friend material?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest the phrase 'I just want to be friends' alwasy seems like a cop out. They don't want to be friends in their eyes, and simply say it to soften the blow of turning them down. If you really want to be a girls friend, you have to make the effort once you've turned them down, becasue I certainly don't think a girl who's been turned down is going to make a large effort after you've said no!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natsing)
    To be honest the phrase 'I just want to be friends' alwasy seems like a cop out. They don't want to be friends in their eyes, and simply say it to soften the blow of turning them down. If you really want to be a girls friend, you have to make the effort once you've turned them down, becasue I certainly don't think a girl who's been turned down is going to make a large effort after you've said no!
    Unfortunately, this is true. I've lost several friends or potential friends because I've not wanted a relationship with them.

ReputationRep:
    Did they want only sex?
    Nah I'd say not, they are likely feeling rejected so they don't see why they should be friends with you, as it would be a little too awkward sorry

ReputationRep:
    I was turned down by a guy who is now one of my best mates. So yes, it can happen. But I wouldn't count on it too much, what my friend and I have i really special and many people dont understand it.

After a girl has been turned down, even though the guy may still want to be mates, the girl may think it'd b too awkward so the friendship collapses. I like this guy I'm really close friends with and that's why I don't want to tell him cos our friendship may be sacraficed afterwards if he doesn't feel the same way .

ReputationRep:
    The 'I just want to be friends' line has so many negative associations now that even if you DO want to be friends, girls tend to take it to mean that you wouldn't come near them with a ten-foot pole and get all upset, hurt and embarrassed. There is the odd case where this doesn't happen like Frenchgal's post says, but generally I wouldn't expect them to want to stay friends with you as it could be uncomfortable.

Maybe it's time to come up with a new line :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Moral of the story...don't turn them down, let them have their wicked way with you.

ReputationRep:
    Happened to me once. This girl tried to hit on me and I just wanted to be friends. In fact we lived in the same flat for 6 months. Later on she stopped talking to me and even avoided me.

Eg: I saw her walking in the street and I was about to say hi to her. She suddenly bent over to tie her shoe... As soon as I walked pass her she got back up and quickly walked off.

Females are so unreasonable at times.

ReputationRep:
    It's happened to me; but then, I never overtly rejected her. Rather, she found herself a boyfriend long before such drastic action would've become necessary.

Thank God.

'Let's just be friends' is basically another version of 'I don't find you attractive' which isn't a nice thing to realise someone is saying to you, no matter how politely it's put.

ReputationRep:
    'Let's just be friends' is basically another version of 'I don't find you attractive' which isn't a nice thing to realise someone is saying to you, no matter how politely it's put.
    EXACTLY

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.