Intermediate Maths Challenge - UKMT - 5th February 2015 Watch

Chittesh14
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello guys, this is a discussion thread for people who are going to take part in the Intermediate Challenge on 5th February 2015.

First of all, since many people don't read the whole thread, I'll get straight to the point before adding in the description of what the intermediate challenge is.
If any of you have any maths resources, either from your teachers or you found yourself, can you please share them with us, as this will help us all.
The paper is out of 135. The time allowed is 1 hour.

• Five marks are awarded for each correct answer to Questions 1-15.
  • Six marks are awarded for each correct answer to Questions 16-25.
  • Each incorrect answer to Questions 16-20 loses 1 mark.
  • Each incorrect answer to Questions 21-25 loses 2 marks.

I've written the mark boundaries for the certificates and follow up rounds below in the thread.

If someone is stuck on a problem, please just give hints and not full solutions (This is in fact a rule on the Maths forum, so please adhere to it). Little nudges, don't reveal "crux moves". No ruining the fun.

If you have solved a problem and want to have the solution checked on here, please spoiler it. If others are trying to attempt the same problem and they see the solution, then they aren't going to learn anything.

Here is a brief description of what the intermediate challenge is:

Information on the Intermediate Challenge
The Intermediate Challenge is aimed at pupils in Year 11 or below in England, or Year 12 or below in Northern Ireland and S4 or below in Scotland. The challenge involves answering 25 multiple choice questions in one hour and is sat in school under normal exam conditions. Pupils fill in the answer sheet in B or HB pencil and the Challenge is marked by UKMT using an optical mark reader.
The top 40% of students nationally receive a gold, silver or bronze certificate in the ratio 1:2:3 and each institution receives a Best in School certificate. Around 500 of the highest scorers in each school year are invited to take part in the Intermediate Mathematical Olympiad papers: Cayley, Hamilton and Maclaurin for year 9, 10 and 11 and equivalent. A further 5,500 pupils from across all three year groups are invited to sit either the grey or pink European Kangaroo papers. These are one-hour papers with 25 multiple choice questions, taken by pupils from over 30 countries worldwide.
Do not expect to finish the whole paper in 1 hour. Concentrate first on Questions 1-15.
When you have checked your answers to these, have a go at some of the later questions. Use B or HB pencil only. Mark at most one of the options A, B, C, D, E on the
Answer Sheet for each question. Do not mark more than one option.

Official UKMT thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2483931

Link to the official page of UKMT intermediate challenge:
http://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-co...ate-challenge/

The Intermediate Challenge 2014 thresholds were:
Bronze 42-54 Silver 55-71 Gold ≥ 72+

Follow on rounds

Cayley Olympiad -90
Hamilton Olympiad - 96
Maclaurin Olympiad - 103
Grey Kangaroo - 67
Pink Kangaroo - 78
Chittesh14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
We have got 17 days left, I think now it is good to start preparing, anyone got any ideas on how to prepare?
theworkkid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Please help! This was one of the intermediate mentoring questions
Find all real numbers such that (1+x)^100-2(1-x)^100=(1-x^2)^50?!

I hope to get into the Mclauren olympiad this year
Chittesh14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Sorry, I didn't really get the answer to that question, therefore I didn't reply to it.
Also, posted on this thread now as the challenge is coming soon and therefore people might look at this thread and help you. Also, saw you made another thread anyway of this question so you must've got the answer :P.
theworkkid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Haha thanks !
Yeah 1 week left!
How if everyone preparing for it if they are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chittesh14
Rep:
?
Not sure to be honest.
I'm just doing past papers, the questions are worded difficult which makes it harder to answer them. You need a mathematics-logical brain as the questions are quite hard. You need to know what formula to use for this question, it's not straightforward which is why the challenges are hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Karimuncher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Did you find the answer
Chittesh14
Rep:
?
(Original post by theworkkid)
Yeah, I usually get around 100, which is the verge of qualifying for the Olympiad so I just need to stop the stupid mistakes and answer 1 more question,
How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
First timed doing the ImC.
Done the junior maths challenge in year 8, got a bronze.
Done SMC in year10 - November one gotta bronze 65 marks I think.
13 correct, 12 wrong.
Yah, was 65, as I started with 25, got to 77 and then went down to 65.
However, got best in the school and first time + attempted all questions big risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you do well you might get invited to the summer school in Oxford ...
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing this. (:eek:) Good luck everyone! I'll try some more Qs in the weekend. Hmm... I'll see how that goes.

Does anyone have any tips for it btw? :ahee:
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The summer schools are for high scorers in the Inter Maths challenge:

"Students for the National Mathematics Summer Schools are invited based on performances in the Intermediate Mathematical Olympiad and Kangaroo (IMOK) and the Intermediate Mathematical Challenge." from UKMT website.
marmbite
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am doing this and I literally got told 2 days ago, (thanks for the warning maths teachers ) I hadn't made time for any practice this weekend but I guess I'm going to have to, I've never got past bronze before even though I achieve well in maths, I can't seem to do the challenge questions.
Anybody got any tips? Other than do past papers
Chittesh14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jsjsjs£&#)
Can someone please give me the answers/solutions for the intermediate 2015 maths challenge
Lol. The paper ain't even out yet, therefore neither are the solutions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
turn-to-page394
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Find out today... Real useful huh.
channies
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do people actually revise for this? Whenever we had those challenges we only got told on the day that we were sitting it
Chittesh14
Rep:
?
(Original post by channies)
Do people actually revise for this? Whenever we had those challenges we only got told on the day that we were sitting it
Yh by doing past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
channies
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Chittesh14)
Yh by doing past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right, I guess our school wasn't the most organised
Chittesh14
Rep:
?
(Original post by channies)
Oh right, I guess our school wasn't the most organised
Still better than our school. They host the challenge, but don't buy access to Olympiads or kangaroo follow up rounds. Like WTF this challenge is the only one I can maybe get into kangaroo and u didn't buy them. However, I doubt I'll get into it as I haven't revised at all lol. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
channies
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Chittesh14)
Still better than our school. They host the challenge, but don't buy access to Olympiads or kangaroo follow up rounds. Like WTF this challenge is the only one I can maybe get into kangaroo and u didn't buy them. However, I doubt I'll get into it as I haven't revised at all lol. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I guess that's true, our school did have access to those. I think 2 people from our year did the pink kangaroo thing. I think it would have been quite a difficult thing to revise for anyway though
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jsjsjs£&#)
Can someone please give me the answers/solutions for the intermediate 2015 maths challenge
It doesn't happen until tomorrow.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (860)
80.37%
Leave (210)
19.63%

Watched Threads