Can Someone please mark this question for me Watch

alevels2k15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Question:
Outline the main features of the Multi Store Model (6 marks)

My Answer:

The Multi Store Model of memory proposed by Atkinson and Shiffrin envisaged memory as a flow of information in an information processing system.

It consists of 3 seperate stores known as the Sensory Memory, Short term memory and long term memory.
Information from a stimulus enters the sensory memory.
If attention is payed to that stimulus, it is sent to the Short term memory. If that is rehearsed, it enters the long term memory.

They all have constraints in terms of capacity, duration and encoding .
The Sensory memories capacity is very limited, the duration is extremely short and the encoding is mainly visual, auditory and tactile.

The STM has a limited capacity and a short duration. The encoding is mainly auditory.

The LTM has an unlimited capacity and an unlimited duration. The encoding is mainly semantic encoding.

The reasons for forgetting in STM is mainly displacement. For LTM its mainly displacement. The memory is there but it cannot be reached.

Can someone please mark this and tell me how i did and how i can improve.

Thank you
alevels2k15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Bump
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
very good.

maybe mention

- theory is based on a cognitive model of memory (i.e. model using the brain as a computer)

- short term memory - you can talk about the capacity of storage (e.g. 30s, 7 numbers, increased by rehearsal etc.)

i would clarify this :

"The reasons for forgetting in STM is mainly displacement. For LTM its mainly displacement. "

i think the reason for failure to retrieve memory from the short term is its limited capacity, not as you said displacement which I think only applies to retrival from the long term memory.

also, i am not sure i understand the part of encoding for each memory store, maybe you can explain it to me.
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
also techniques to improve capacity of short term memory - e.g. chunking - you can add
nataliet97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe find some studies to back it up. Some about repetition and incorporate Miller and 7 +/- 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (866)
80.11%
Leave (215)
19.89%

Watched Threads