Could I get into a lot of trouble for this? Watch

lent6
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was bored so I decided to send a message on my phone to a random number for a laugh.

I said 'Did you bury that prick Billy's body'

It was just banter, but am ****ting myself that the police are going to come after me.

What should I do?
tnshattock
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hahaha, well, did you make your number traceable? It really depends on your luck- if you're lucky, the receiver will just look at it strangely, and then forget about it. However, if I personally got a text like that, I'd pass on the number to the police- just in case, etc.

Basically, you could get into trouble... I just have one question for you:

Do you feel lucky?
Well, do ya punk? :lol:
Xenorebrem
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: You're f****d mate

The person you sent it to will almost certainly report it to the police.
J95H
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lent6)
I was bored so I decided to send a message on my phone to a random number for a laugh.

It was just banter, but am ****ting myself that the police are going to come after me.

What should I do?

Here's what you should do..

Gwt yourself down to Dover and get yourself on the next ferry out of here, then head to Switzerland, you'll be safe there
suirrel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Holy ****, you're not in hiding already? :O
lent6
Rep:
?
(Original post by tnshattock)
Hahaha, well, did you make your number traceable? It really depends on your luck- if you're lucky, the receiver will just look at it strangely, and then forget about it. However, if I personally got a text like that, I'd pass on the number to the police- just in case, etc.

Basically, you could get into trouble... I just have one question for you:

Do you feel lucky?
Well, do ya punk? :lol:
Oh ****.

Yes my number is traceable, the person will have my whole number.

Surely if the police do bother investigating they will eventually discover it was just banter and I will just get a warning or something like that?
anonwinner
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Could you get in trouble? yes. Will you get in trouble? Probably not.

If I were you, I would text the person again and say "sorry that was my friend he was trying to be funny" or something like that and you could also inform the local police that you sent a text as a joke but could be seen as evidence of criminal activity.
lent6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xenorebrem)
Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: You're f****d mate

The person you sent it to will almost certainly report it to the police.
Could I not send them another text saying 'sorry it was just banter, I don't even know anyone called Billy. I just picked you number at random'
Xenorebrem
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I guess you should but that will only reduce the chance of being reported by an insignificant amount. Face it. Your going away for a long long time.
miscounted_time
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Basically OP, you better start praying that nobody called Billy has gone missing because coincidences can be a *****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Daveishere
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lent6)

What should I do?
You should be fine, if i got it i would have either sent back 'yeah!' Or 'who is this?'
Youll be fine... Probably
Good luck either way!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Henry94
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lent6)
Could I not send them another text saying 'sorry it was just banter, I don't even know anyone called Billy. I just picked you number at random'
No thats a bad idea. Its too late to make amends now. In fact you should probably turn your computer off, police will likely have zeroed your location, maybe sent a swat team. My advice would be to lay low in the forest for a few months, until the heat dies down, then make your way to more lawless parts of the world, such as Afghanistan. Trust no one....
lent6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xenorebrem)
I guess you should but that will only reduce the chance of being reported by an insignificant amount. Face it. Your going away for a long long time.
Under what charge?
tnshattock
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lent6)
Oh ****.

Yes my number is traceable, the person will have my whole number.

Surely if the police do bother investigating they will eventually discover it was just banter and I will just get a warning or something like that?
I don't think police officers would take "banter" as a valid excuse for causing someone to raise suspicion on the account of MURDER. Look, how old are you? If they see that you're a young man and explain yourself coherently, and being honest saying it was just a practical joke, the worst they can do is give you a very very very incredibly outrageously stern warning about not doing it again just to make sure you understand that

a) it's a pretty sick practical joke
b) that it's your own fault sending it to someone you don't know, so you have no idea how they'd react to it, and they reacted correctly to such a message
c) not to do it, or anything like it to that scale, again
d) ever
e) they probably won't take it as lightly in the future

Good luck mate
tnshattock
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Henry94)
No thats a bad idea. Its too late to make amends now. In fact you should probably turn your computer off, police will likely have zeroed your location, maybe sent a swat team. My advice would be to lay low in the forest for a few months, until the heat dies down, then make your way to more lawless parts of the world, such as Afghanistan. Trust no one....
This is my favourite response to any thread I've read. :lol:
morgan8002
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It doesn't matter if the person reported you as it is likely that you are under investigation from GCHQ anyway.
lent6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Henry94)
I know you are just being funny (well kind of). But I wonder what the possibility of a swat team coming to my house and licking my door down in case I have guns or something like that.
lent6
Rep:
?
(Original post by tnshattock)
I don't think police officers would take "banter" as a valid excuse for causing someone to raise suspicion on the account of MURDER. Look, how old are you? If they see that you're a young man and explain yourself coherently, and being honest saying it was just a practical joke, the worst they can do is give you a very very very incredibly outrageously stern warning about not doing it again just to make sure you understand that

a) it's a pretty sick practical joke
b) that it's your own fault sending it to someone you don't know, so you have no idea how they'd react to it, and they reacted correctly to such a message
c) not to do it, or anything like it to that scale, again
d) ever
e) they probably won't take it as lightly in the future

Good luck mate
Yeah I definitely won't be doing it again. I know I shouldn't of done it. At the time I felt witty as hell, but a few minutes later I thought '**** that was stupid'.
lent6
Rep:
?
(Original post by morgan8002)
It doesn't matter if the person reported you as it is likely that you are under investigation from GCHQ anyway.
hmmmm am guessing they might be watching my online activity as well if that is the case?
morgan8002
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lent6)
I know you are just being funny (well kind of). But I wonder what the possibility of a swat team coming to my house and licking my door down in case I have guns or something like that.
It's been at least 1 hour. They can't be far off. You should leave the country before they get there. After that move to Russia and assume a new identity.
Edit: SWAT teams licking a door down is a funny image.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.

Watched Threads