Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I got all 5 offers for Computer science and made my firm and insurance choices in hurry. I hate both of them now and I want to go to a different university (for the same course btw) . Now am I eligible to use Extra, should I contact both my firm and insurance choices to release me so that I can apply to a different university?

CAN I use Extra if I contact both firm and insurance choices and they agree to release me? I will do it when the extra opens. But I want to ask whether or not it is possible.

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halamadrid777)
    Hello everyone,

I got all 5 offers for Computer science and made my firm and insurance choices in hurry. I hate both of them now and I want to go to a different university (for the same course btw) . Now am I eligible to use Extra, should I contact both my firm and insurance choices to release me so that I can apply to a different university?

CAN I use Extra if I contact both firm and insurance choices and they agree to release me? I will do it when the extra opens. But I want to ask whether or not it is possible.

Thank you in advance.
    may i ask which unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willburrr)
    may i ask which unis?
    Firm is U of Sheffield and Insurance is U of Liverpool.
    Does it matter?

EDIT: Earlier my firm was Manchester but I changed it.

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter?

But those are good unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought Extra was only if you had no offers so you would have to turn down all your offers first - think carefully before you do anything because the course/uni you want may not be in Extra or they may not make you an offer. You are regretting one decision you have made so think carefully so you don't make another mistake.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter?

It does matter as I doubt it will be easy to do better than those unis in Extra. You will be competing for even fewer places so it will be a much more competitive environment. Are you sure you want to settle for a mush wprse uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willburrr)
    It does matter as I doubt it will be easy to do better than those unis in Extra. You will be competing for even fewer places so it will be a much more competitive environment. Are you sure you want to settle for a mush wprse uni?
    No definitely no. I'm an International student and my dad won't allow me to come to UK if it's not a RG uni. I'm thinking of King's because I think I can meet their requirements. I'll contact UCAS on Monday to discuss my options :confused:

ReputationRep:
    No definitely no. I'm an International student and my dad won't allow me to come to UK if it's not a RG uni. I'm thinking of King's because I think I can meet their requirements. I'll contact UCAS on Monday to discuss my options :confused:
    But Sheffield and Liverpool ARE in the Russell Group.

(Not going to comment on your father's view!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    But Sheffield and Liverpool ARE in the Russell Group.

(Not going to comment on your father's view!)
    Oh yeah I know that, I don't want to settle for a worse non -RG uni in the end. Looking at the risks involved of losing offers from two good unis don't really encourage me right now. I wish I had applied to King's.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I know that, I don't want to settle for a worse non -RG uni in the end. Looking at the risks involved of losing offers from two good unis don't really encourage me right now. I wish I had applied to King's.:rolleyes:
    OK I understand your point now.

ReputationRep:
    you would probably be best served keeping your current offer and if your results prove good enough applying though adjustment.I am somewhat concerned at your fathers attitude. does he realise that there are unis every bit as good if not better outside the rg. st andrews and bath are amongst a group of top class non rg unis. in fact the future king and queen met at st andrews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    you would probably be best served keeping your current offer and if your results prove good enough applying though adjustment.I am somewhat concerned at your fathers attitude. does he realise that there are unis every bit as good if not better outside the rg. st andrews and bath are amongst a group of top class non rg unis. in fact the future king and queen met at st andrews

I will get my final results in May, so I won't be able to apply through adjustment. I need to apply for visa and all before my course starts.

St Andrews is a good university, but the course is 4 years. I didn't apply to any Scottish unis because of this. Bath is a good uni but it's international rankings didn't impress my father

ReputationRep:
    I will get my final results in May, so I won't be able to apply through adjustment. I need to apply for visa and all before my course starts.

St Andrews is a good university, but the course is 4 years. I didn't apply to any Scottish unis because of this. Bath is a good uni but it's international rankings didn't impress my father
    I suggest you show him this
    1 Cambridge 614 4.24 2.98 84.7 1000
    3 London School of Economics 537 4.04 2.96 76.4 957
    5 Durham 523 4.14 2.72 82.4 930
    7 Warwick 509 4.04 2.80 77.7 893
    9 University College London 520 3.94 2.84 80.7 876
    11 Lancaster 445 4.11 2.71 72.7 866
    13 Loughborough 406 4.10 2.62 75.3 851
    15 East Anglia 426

ReputationRep:
    if you press on edit it will give the top 15 for complete university guide. your father will find the same for the guardian university guide and the times university guide. in all 3 bath is considered top 10 so is St Andrews and the likes of Surrey Loughborough and East Anglia lie in the top 15 in each yet rg unis like Bristol kings and edinbugh which score highly in intenational rankings do not

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.