LuverlyLawyer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I'm applying for the LLM/law related masters at UCL, Kings and LSE and possibly Cambridge but not sure about that one given I only got a 2.1.

Now what on earth do I say on the personal statement part and how long should it be????

Any advice very welcome!

LLx
understatement
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Attach a pic of yourself for 100% guaranteed entry (not being sexist!) :P

Isn't there a careers service @ Bristol to help you out with that sort of thing?

2.1 is fine + you've got work experience too! Sorry I can't be of any (real) help.
passthesaltplease
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Don't waffle on too much. Rather mention why you want to do their course - something along the lines of: My interests are blah, in correspondence with Prof. blah I feel that the department's research direction is very closely matched to my own. etc. etc.
Lexy86
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm in the same boat as you, and I'm terrified. I've just started writing mine, sat there staring at the screen for 45 minutes and produced the words "I strongly believe that...". That's all I've managed so far.

Friends have suggested briefly explaining how your life so far has strengthened your interests in the field and why you feel that you & the department can "help each other out", roughly speaking - meaning, how you'd be a great addition to the student population and how they'd turn your entire life around in the direction of eternal bliss.

Apparently, you're supposed to keep it short & sweet - under a page long, otherwise their attention wanders.

//Edit: I've found this simple guide on PG statements - http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/PersonalStatement.htm . It seems pretty banale, but I like the points they've suggested. http://www.ucc.ie/careers/students/O...for_Graduates/ Postgraduate%20Personal%20Statements%202006-07.doc was quite useful as well, simply because they offer various examples and further links.
LuverlyLawyer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Excellent thanks for that Lexy86!
mauritius
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do I need to start worrying that I haven't started preparing my application letter yet????!! :eek:
Lexy86
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mauritius)
Do I need to start worrying that I haven't started preparing my application letter yet????!! :eek:
I believe you're in the same boat as roughly 90% of the applicant pool I'm halfway through the rough draft of one and I still have a minimum of 5 more to do... Eeek
Teemo86
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm facing the same problem which is killing me, everyday I stare at my laptop screen to write my PS but I end it with a smile. I felt so bad coz it sucks when u got a bachelor degree from UK and then a PS stopped you but when I see natives English having the same problem I felt genius lol
anyway guys, I did bachelor in business information systems and now I really would study MBA but my issue as it mentioned above I have no idea how to write the bloody PS even I got tips to do my brain doesn't work at all due to this!!

Any help will be extremely appreciated
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Have you checked the TSR personal statement section?
Zorg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I got mine going by just writing some paragraphs about me/what I wanted from the course/why I wanted to be on the course. I didn't start at the beginning and it was pretty much just expanded notes of what I thought should eventually go in to the page. Half the paragraphs didn't make it in to the finalised piece and most all got heavily edited, but it got me started and writing something

Good luck all :thumbsup:
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Now what on earth do I say on the personal statement part and how long should it be????
Check with the places you're applying to. My Masters application was online and the PS section had a stated maximum character count. Anything over that was just left off when you submitted.

Some unis also suggest things they want to see in a PS, so again, worth a bit of online ferretting around on their PG web pages.
Ghost6
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My advice is to keep the statement of purpose as short as possible. The longer it is, the less likely it will be completely read. For a taught degree where all applicants essentially write the same BS, any longer than one page seems wasted effort. Just make sure it doesn't hurt you.
Oceanic
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LuverlyLawyer)
I'm applying for the LLM/law related masters at UCL, Kings and LSE and possibly Cambridge but not sure about that one given I only got a 2.1.

Any advice very welcome!

LLx
Well a 2:1 may be good enough depending upon which university you achieved it. If you don't mind me asking; how is your undergrad university? Russel group, Top 50 etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top