Monica-xx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys! I'm really stuck on deciding which of the two unis to put as my firm and insurance choice out of De Montfort and Roehampton. Btw I'm studying Criminology. I really like both of them, I came up with a list about each one but still can't decide.

De Montfort:
. Want 260 points
. Course is Criminology and Criminal Justice with Psychology (so learn more I guess?)
. Accommodation is cheap (between £100 and £134) and looks nice
. Brother already been there, my cousin goes there now
. All the way in Leicester (2 - 2.5 hours by car, imagine longer by train)

Roehampton:
. Want 280 points (more than DMU)
. Course is Criminology
. Accommodation is nice too but a little more (prices £135-136)
. Campus looks gorgeous (trees, nature, lakes etc.) and is big
. Near Richmond (1 hour 20 - 30 mins away by train, less by car), still easy to get to London

I think the only main issue for me is how far DMU is and also for Roehampton the entry requirements are higher. Anyone who has been to any of these unis feel free to comment. Others, which would you choose? Has anyone else applied to any of these unis?
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello!

My name is Matt and I currently work at DMU, although I am a recent graduate from University of Leicester. From reading your post, I can see that a big decision for you is distance from where you currently are. When I was studying, I had a few friends who came from London, they took the train and they always said the journey was fine, with it mostly taking around an hour and a half, but of course this depends on the connection and whether it is a fast train or not for example. In my experience, I was travelling via the train and it took about an hour, which was a comfortable journey, but of course, this is slightly shorter than the distance you would travel.

In regards to the accommodation, DMU has eight halls of residence, with around 2,100 rooms, all of which are either on or within five minutes' walk of the campus. As DMU is a city based campus, there are lots of easy opportunities to get to the city centre, which opens up a shared sense of student community as well as options to get some part-time jobs. There are plenty of variety in regards to cultural activities as well, as Leicester is a very exciting and multicultural city. The location is also great in terms of distance from train and bus stations (around a 10 minute walk), which gives you plenty of alternative methods for travelling back and forth.

In terms of the course, I can't speak for Roehampton, but the Criminology and Criminal Justice with Psychology course offers the home to one of the UK's largest practice-based criminologist teams in the country. We also have lots of opportunities in regards to placements available in local criminal justice agencies, including prison, probation, youth offending services, and victim support.As well as this, like you say, the course benefits from the experience and expertise offered across two complementary disciplines, which will help develop your transferable skills for a wider range of career opportunities.

The best advice that I can give is to come and check out the DMU Open Day on Saturday 7th January. It should really help confirm that DMU is the place for you. Visiting open days when I was looking at universities was the key decision maker in my experience.

Hope that helps out a little bit!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (20)
31.75%
No (43)
68.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise