Getting into medicine with the wrong educational background? Watch

Sb2131
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(I've posted this in the medical section too, but reposting here for mature students' advice! Hope that's ok!)

Hello
(Sorry, this'll be a long post, thanks for reading!)

Hopefully someone here will be able to help me, as I've been researching myself and haven't managed to find any answers.

I'm 24, and I want to study medicine and become a doctor. I've been thinking about this for over a year, and through a combination of personal experience, interest, and seeing a close family member currently studying medicine, I think it's the right decision for me.

However, I've studied the wrong things! I got acceptable GCSE's (7 A's and 4 B's - A's in sciences), but did arts A Levels (Eng Lit, History, Psychology, Law) and got 3 B's and a C, after having to repeathe first year due to missing large chunks of it due to being in hospital. I went on to do an English Lit degree at a middling university (knowing soon after starting that it wasn't the right course for me, but carrying on with minimal effort - not completing some of the modules, coursework etc. anyway) I graduated with a 2.2, and have been working in Comms ever since.

Now I want to go back to university to study medicine, but I can't see a route in. Undergrad courses with a foundation year seem to require either all A's at A-Level, or lower grades but a variety of 'widening access' requirements - like being the first in your family to go into HE, and living in a socially deprived area - which I don't have, and many of them won't even consider graduates. Grad courses all seem to require a 2:1, and nearly all want that in a science subject. I've looked into doing more A-Levels in science subjects, so I can just apply for regular undergraduate medicine, but there's no evening/night course provider where I live (would need to do them part time/evening around my 9-5 job) so I'd have to do them via distance learning/self teach, and I feel like getting the A*/A's I'd need in Chemistry/Biology/Physics would be almost impossible without the practical/lab element. I'm also worried my previous bad record of education would count against me here, as medicine is so competitive, even if I did get good grades, thousands of 17/18 year olds will have those same good grades without the poor academic background in previous study that I have.

So, is there any hope for me? Can anyone who's been in a similar situation, or who has any info advise?

Thanks for reading this far!

(TL/DR - did arts subjects, got a 2:2 Eng Lit degree, can I somehow study medicine?!)
Tyler Bam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses.

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. Hope this helps!
savethewhale
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey

Have you considered an Access to Higher Education course? They are for 'mature' (anyone over 19) students who don't have the required qualifications to get on their desired uni course. It is only a one year course and depending on your subjects you may only be required to attend 2-3 days. I am currently doing this course at Bridgwater College and I am only there Tuesdays and Thursdays, leaving me plenty of time to work. I'm not sure how medicine degrees view this course, but it's worth checking out

Good luck with everything and I'm sure you'll find a way!

Posted from TSR Mobile
JosieD
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, I am an arts grad who is currently applying to study medicine. There are a couple of universities who accept students with degrees from non science subjects. I am applying to St George's, Exeter, Nottingham and Swansea.

If you are a graduate you can sit the GAMSAT entrance exam instead of doing A levels or an access course. Some uni's will consider you with a 2:2 if you get over 66 in the GAMSAT. The exam is pretty tough and you will probably need to teach yourself A level sciences in order to be in with a chance, but it's worth a shot! The exam is once a year in August. Let me know if you need more info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lyra1987
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am sitting GAMSAT this year. Looking for study buddies in Manchester.
suirrel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Here is a TSR link about the Access to Medicine/foundation courses.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Access_to_Medicine
parentlurker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
a private tutorial college might get you thrugh the A levels but you'd also need enough work experience/ voluntary work to show you really know what you are getting into. You have a degree already so probably are not eligible for student finance. To be honest I think you should see this a dream at the moment. There are many other careers in the health service that would be more accessible and a few courses where some funding might be available from the NHS. Nursing is the obvious option. I dont know how medical schools would regard a nurse seeking to becme a doctor ut I'm sure it would be better than trying to apply now.
Sb2131
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Yeah, no thanks.

Thanks everyone else, I'm going to sit GAMSAT in August, with the aim of applying to St George's and Nottingham. I've already organised some shadowing experience, and am looking into volunteering at my local hospital.

The NHS pay the 2nd 3rd and 4th year of a graduate medicine degree fyi.

Good luck to anyone else applying this cycle!
parentlurker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sb2131)
Yeah, no thanks.

Thanks everyone else, I'm going to sit GAMSAT in August, with the aim of applying to St George's and Nottingham. I've already organised some shadowing experience, and am looking into volunteering at my local hospital.

The NHS pay the 2nd 3rd and 4th year of a graduate medicine degree fyi.

Good luck to anyone else applying this cycle!
Well good luck to you, whether you are the OP or someone else, but graduate medicine is even more competitive than undergraduate medicine and what medical schools declare as miniemum requirements and what they actaully take in practise are often quite different. There will be applicants with first class degress in Biomedical sciences, Biochemistry or similar failing to get graduate places.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (149)
27.9%
No (385)
72.1%

Watched Threads