The Student Room Group

Listening to a song overnight changes the way it sounds completely.

I've found on many occasions that if I listen to a specific song on repeat whilst I sleep, it sounds very different when I play it again the next day. I usually have to check that it actually is the same version of the song. I can't pinpoint what specifically sounds different. It just sounds like a cover of the song. It's hard to describe.

I googled it and others have had similar experience.

It happened to me last night with "Power of Love" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Have any of you found this?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes, had to Google it to make sure I wasn't the only one, if the song is new to me and I play it over night on repeat it sounds strange for a couple of days after. Then it wears off
DOES THIS GO AWAY??? I LOVE TWINTAILS AND I PUT THE OPENING SONG, ENDING SONG, AND 2 OTHER BACKGROUND SONGS FROM THE ANIME ON REPEAT OVERNIGHT. NOW THEY SOUND LIKE S@#% ;n; ;n; ;n; DOES THIS WEAR OFF??
DOES THIS GO AWAY I LOVE AND ADORE TWINTAILS AND NOW THE OPENING AND ENDING SOUND LIKE S#@% SO DOES IT WEAR OFF OR NOT I HATE MY LIFE RIGHT NOW ;n; ;n;
Reply 4
I start to notice things in the song I never noticed before and it starts to sound different in that way because I am now appreciating different parts of the songs other than just the words...idk if that's what OP means though or I don't understand/experience what they mean.
Reply 5
Lucky to have music auto off feature, music stops playing after certain period of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I have to know as well cause the song was my favorite and now its terrible 😭😭
Moved to Music
Yea, I've had this same experience while listening to 1-800 Logic overnight. I was completely weirded out when it sounded really bad the next day. I absolutely love the song but now I can't bare to listen to it anymore. The Rs sound like L's and the whole song sounds like a jumbled mess.
Reply 9
Original post by ummm
I've found on many occasions that if I listen to a specific song on repeat whilst I sleep, it sounds very different when I play it again the next day. I usually have to check that it actually is the same version of the song. I can't pinpoint what specifically sounds different. It just sounds like a cover of the song. It's hard to describe.

Yes last night i listened to 187 by lud foe for about 7 hours since i need sound and i love that song, but now when i listen part of the chorus doesnt play and the dude who raps sounds like he doesnt have the “hard” tone
Original post by ummm

Tried it... but it still sounded rubbish in the morning just like it did before.
Reply 11
Yess I have done this before and I didn’t even want to listen to that song after that because it didn’t sound the same
i had this in 2016 with chandelier by sia and a few other songs like last year with marshmello friends and this time last night will lil peep spotlight thats why i finally decided to google it and still i dont have an awnser and imstarting to completely forget how the song originaly sounded
Reply 13
Whenever I listen to love. Feat. Zacari. The first part when it says “it’s another world premier” it sounds like Mario and scares the crap outta me because I worry it’s something in my brain.
yessss i have had that happen this last couple of days. Since i got my phone taken away, i listen to my music on my laptop now and i have a song on repeat for the whole night. A couple of days ago i was listening to Locked Away by R. City and Adam Levine. It sounds completely different now and it's been a couple of days and it still doesn't sound the same
(edited 3 years ago)
True thing.
Original post by ummm
I've found on many occasions that if I listen to a specific song on repeat whilst I sleep, it sounds very different when I pYou lay it again the next day. I usually have to check that it actually is the same version of the song. I can't pinpoint what specifically sounds different. It just sounds like a cover of the song. It's hard to describe.

And you get to view it from different perspective.
Original post by ummm

This is fascinating, I've never heard of this phenomena before but now I want to try it out

How many times did you listen to it overnight? I don't usually listen to songs on repeat, perhaps the fact you were constantly listening to it made it wear off?
The other night, maybe like 2-3 weeks ago, i fell asleep listening to "Far away" By: Jessie Reyez, and now everytime i listen to it, it sounds distorted and her voice doesn't match the beat anymore. I honestly feel bummed out bc i love that song so much. I wish i could fix it
(edited 3 years ago)
I just wanna know, did It wear off yet? 😂

Quick Reply