The Student Room Group

Guy I like said last night that he prefers "trashy" women...

Scroll to see replies

I don't get the first sentence (sorry :redface:) but yep :yep:
I find that sort of stuff a turn off for women too. I wouldn't call myself liberal but I wouldn't call myself conservative either, I'm in-between. I don't prefer really shy girls or anything like that but I'm more attracted to girls that keep to themselves.
Original post by Protégé
I find that sort of stuff a turn off for women too. I wouldn't call myself liberal but I wouldn't call myself conservative either, I'm in-between. I don't prefer really shy girls or anything like that but I'm more attracted to girls that keep to themselves.

You mean you find girls like the ones he prefers a turn off?

How do you mean by keeping to themselves? :smile: I'm quite sociable, just would never do one night stands etc :s-smilie:
Original post by Anonymous
I don't really meet guys in clubs TBH :smile:

Any recommendations on where to find someone like that? I'm in stuff like running clubs, but most of the blokes there are in their 40s or older :redface:

You were still drawn to the type that goes clubbing though, no?
No, I'm working and planning to go as a mature student when I'm 22/23 (I think you posted on my thread actually?) :smile:

Most of my male colleagues are older than me, and I don't really think it's a good idea to date in the workplace anyway.

Difficult to remember all the Anon threads I post in, I'm afraid! I may have done...

Good call re workplace dating, but that does make things trickier. Clubs/pubs/bars generally aren't the best place in the world to find guys (or decent girls to be honest). If you have any hobbies or interests you could try and find a club related to it - that guarantees some common ground at least.

Do you have friendship circles outside work? Friends of friends are also good ways of getting out there more.
You mean you find girls like the ones he prefers a turn off?

How do you mean by keeping to themselves? :smile: I'm quite sociable, just would never do one night stands etc :s-smilie:

Yeah.

I don't mean anti-social people or anything like that. Just girls that don't seek validation from others or feel that they need to be in a relationship.
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
You were still drawn to the type that goes clubbing though, no?

Where did I say that? :smug:

TurboCretin
Difficult to remember all the Anon threads I post in, I'm afraid! I may have done...

Good call re workplace dating, but that does make things trickier. Clubs/pubs/bars generally aren't the best place in the world to find guys (or decent girls to be honest). If you have any hobbies or interests you could try and find a club related to it - that guarantees some common ground at least.

Do you have friendship circles outside work? Friends of friends are also good ways of getting out there more.

I don't try to find guys at clubs/pubs yep (we were a group of friends at the pub last night :smile:). That's a good shout, thanks, though I'm not sure if I could meet a guy who was looking for someone at groups targeted to my interests - I have met some good male friends through things like Meetup but they seem to be strictly platonic (well, at least, nobody's shown any interest in me). Is doing stuff like events specifically targeted at singles a bad idea? They seem to be filled with PUA type guys who only want one thing from what my female friends have said.

Yep, mostly from my hobbies (I only recently moved to London, and didn't know anyone before I came, which is probably causing a lot of this :tongue:)
Where did I say that? :smug:

I'm assuming the guy you spoke about in this thread likes going to clubs as well as festivals.

Maybe I should put it this way, what drew you to him?
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
I'm assuming the guy you spoke about in this thread likes going to clubs as well as festivals.

Maybe I should put it this way, what drew you to him?

You're really clutching at straws here :smug:

But I already posted this in a response to someone else:

Yeah, he's not particularly popular TBH, I just thought he'd be more sensible as he's almost 30 :redface:

He does *seem* more sensible right now, which is why I like him (haven't known him for very long). As stated in the OP, a lot of stuff about him that I had no clue about came out last night as most of the people in that group have known him for much longer than me. Which I found a turn off.
You're really clutching at straws here :smug:

But I already posted this in a response to someone else:

He does *seem* more sensible right now, which is why I like him (haven't known him for very long). As stated in the OP, a lot of stuff about him that I had no clue about came out last night as most of the people in that group have known him for much longer than me. Which I found a turn off.

How so? That implies I'm desperate.

I just asked you a question...
r00d d00d.

(edited 9 years ago)
That's mean :eek:

A lot of guys in their 20s seem to prefer girls like that though... I'm only 20 and not prudish but I wasn't brought up that way, dunno where to find a guy who actually does respect that :s-smilie:

Sorry if this is harsh, but it's so annoying when people always say this, "I just can't find someone who likes people like me". Most guys will definitely prefer a girl they see as less trashy. When guys talk about "girlfriend material" they are usually talking about girls who are more chilled and down to earth.

I'm a liberal guy too, and I like partying and some of this stuff, but it isn't really a requirement in a partner, I actually tend to go for shyer girls.
Honestly a guy with taste like that is just gonna end up with a ton of problems (potentially involving babies, prison and hospitals :/ ) and no, not all 20 something guys are like that - I've met some who are absolutely lovely and some who are childish and some just like the guy you described. I hope you find someone better, you deserve it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mankytoes
Sorry if this is harsh, but it's so annoying when people always say this, "I just can't find someone who likes people like me". Most guys will definitely prefer a girl they see as less trashy. When guys talk about "girlfriend material" they are usually talking about girls who are more chilled and down to earth.

I'm a liberal guy too, and I like partying and some of this stuff, but it isn't really a requirement in a partner, I actually tend to go for shyer girls.

No offence taken lol :tongue: Maybe my having moving relatively recently is a factor in this? :dontknow: I don't know as many guys in their 20s as I'd like, so I guess I have a relatively limited pool of people to decide from. Most of my male friends in the area are guys in their 30s and 40s and they actually have families. I work long hours sometimes so it's hard to meet guys my age in London.

I don't think most guys in their 20s have the exact same preferences, but a lot of the ones I know (at least) seem to go for women who are very "open minded". Maybe it's just because they're more sexually cool with things? :dontknow:
Original post by clayclaytonton
Honestly a guy with taste like that is just gonna end up with a ton of problems (potentially involving babies, prison and hospitals :/ ) and no, not all 20 something guys are like that - I've met some who are absolutely lovely and some who are childish and some just like the guy you described. I hope you find someone better, you deserve it! :smile:

Thanks, great advice :smile: Where's a good place to meet "nice guys"? I recently moved to London so my social life is all over the place right now lol
No offence taken lol :tongue: Maybe my having moving relatively recently is a factor in this? :dontknow: I don't know as many guys in their 20s as I'd like, so I guess I have a relatively limited pool of people to decide from. Most of my male friends in the area are guys in their 30s and 40s and they actually have families. I work long hours sometimes so it's hard to meet guys my age in London.

I don't think most guys in their 20s have the exact same preferences, but a lot of the ones I know (at least) seem to go for women who are very "open minded". Maybe it's just because they're more sexually cool with things? :dontknow:

Well yeah, that would make sense. People on here seem to be very anti-clubbing, but honestly, most people at clubs are just normal people, most young people do it. It's a reasonable place to meet people.

Well it depends what you're going for. Obviously if you're going for a more casual thing, these sorts of girls are going to be the one preferred as they're the ones who tend to want casual sex. For monogamous relationships, most guys actually prefer less promiscuous girls.
Original post by Mankytoes
Well yeah, that would make sense. People on here seem to be very anti-clubbing, but honestly, most people at clubs are just normal people, most young people do it. It's a reasonable place to meet people.

Well it depends what you're going for. Obviously if you're going for a more casual thing, these sorts of girls are going to be the one preferred as they're the ones who tend to want casual sex. For monogamous relationships, most guys actually prefer less promiscuous girls.

I don't really meet guys in clubs but I'm not anti-clubbing :dontknow: I guess it depends which kinds of clubs you go to, though? I was under the impression most guys at some clubs were just after one thing.

Oh, fair dos. Where can I meet guys like that in their 20s, though? :smile:
Reply 36
I dislike people who associate being "fun" and "open minded" with drugs and a boatload of other questionable activities. Being stoned to the point slurred speech and complete unawareness doesn't appear fun to me. If a guy wants a girl like that, it tells you a lot about him (i.e. AVOID) You dodged a bullet imo. He's gonna learn the hard way in the future.
Original post by Tai Ga
I dislike people who associate being "fun" and "open minded" with drugs and a boatload of other questionable activities. Being stoned to the point slurred speech and complete unawareness doesn't appear fun to me. If a guy wants a girl like that, it tells you a lot about him (i.e. AVOID) You dodged a bullet imo. He's gonna learn the hard way in the future.

Yep, I don't want to be too judgy but that isn't my kinda thing :s-smilie:

I guess maybe he's into girls like that because he used to be like that (and still is to some extent)? :dontknow:
Original post by Tai Ga

Yeah, I'd say the same, but also include being drunk.
Original post by Tai Ga

When people talk about being "open minded" in this context, they normally don't mean "doing loads of drugs", it's just not automatically seeing them as evil just because they're illegal, while being ambivalent to any legal drugs like tobacco and alcohol, no matter how much harm you see them causing.

Thining things aren't fun to you is fine. Your "AVOID" comment and implication that anyone who does any drugs is going to learn some horrible lesson implies you are more of the sort of reactionary more liberal guys aren't keen on dating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending