The Student Room Group

Which Laptop?

Hi.

I'm looking to get a new laptop to replace my old sony vaio. I've been looking on the PC World website and came across these two.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-e5-571-15-6-laptop-iron-10071657-pdt.html#cat-0

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-p199sa-15-6-laptop-blue-10075685-pdt.html#cat-0

The laptop will mostly be used for school / uni work and surfing the internet / yotube.

I don't have a great knowledge on computers so any input will be much appreciated :smile:

My budget is about £350 - £400 though an extra £50 odd would be doable.

Thanks in advance for all the help. :smile:
Either of those would do the job for the fairly light use you have. I suggest taking a look at ebuyer.com and www.saveonlaptops.co.uk as they tend to have better deals and offers and you could probably find something equally as good for less money.

Don't be won over by big amounts of RAM (2,4,6,8,12 etc GB) because 4GB should be ample for you (most gamers only use 8 GB). If you need to upgrade, changing RAM is also the easiest thing to change. Try to go for a better processor if you can but obviously make sure that you have all the other features you'll need.

Edit: also, I would suggest avoiding HP - they're renowned to be flimsy, poorly constructed, and to break easily (conveniently just outside of the warranty period!)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by hothedgehog
Either of those would do the job for the fairly light use you have. I suggest taking a look at ebuyer.com and www.saveonlaptops.co.uk as they tend to have better deals and offers and you could probably find something equally as good for less money.

Don't be won over by big amounts of RAM (2,4,6,8,12 etc GB) because 4GB should be ample for you (most gamers only use 8 GB). If you need to upgrade, changing RAM is also the easiest thing to change. Try to go for a better processor if you can but obviously make sure that you have all the other features you'll need.

Edit: also, I would suggest avoiding HP - they're renowned to be flimsy, poorly constructed, and to break easily (conveniently just outside of the warranty period!)

Thanks for that.

Quick question. How can I tell which has the better processor? :tongue:
Original post by legallyaverage:)
Thanks for that.

Quick question. How can I tell which has the better processor? :tongue:

You need to look at the spec. There are two main families of processors - Intel and AMD. Intel have been ahead for quite a while until recently when AMD seemed to catch up. I can't really tell you much about AMD, I just don't know it - I suggest you look up the brands on wikipedia or something.

For intel the newer processors are i3, i5 and i7 from worst to best. i7 is going to be massive overkill for you but if you could get an i5 that would be good although an i3 will do the job too.

There's a handy website here; https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ which allows you to type in the type of processor and it'll tell you how good it is compared to all the other processors in the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending