The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, I'm sure this has been asked somewhere in the thread already but I'm going to ask again, how do I go about seeking feedback on my (unsuccessful) application? Should I contact the admissions secretary at the college I applied to or the one I was pooled to for another interview or somewhere else completely?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5101
Original post by Renee8100
Hi guys, I'm sure this has been asked somewhere in the thread already but I'm going to ask again, how do I go about seeking feedback on my (unsuccessful) application? Should I contact the admissions secretary at the college I applied to or the one I was pooled to for another interview or somewhere else completely?

I know that your school teacher (most probably your UCAS referee) receives the feedback and then passes it onto you, so I'm presuming that only your referee can request it by emailing the college? That's how it's being done at my school, anyway.
Reply 5102
Hi guys,

I have a few rather strange questions to ask, and I'd appreciate it if anybody could help me out!
A friend of mine was rejected from Cambridge and didn't particularly want feedback. However, my school now has individual feedback regarding all of this year's applicants, even though nobody made a request for it. Our UCAS referee has claimed that Cambridge must have accidentally sent the feedback for all applicants this year - I find this highly implausible (as I'm sure it would breach some kind of data protection law? Although I don't know if it's protocol for Cambridge?) and I'm now trying to figure out if said teacher had requested feedback for all applicants (unbeknownst to us all) and is just lying about it.
As a follow up question, does anybody know if the school is allowed to obtain feedback from the university regarding a pupil even if said pupil has explicitly said that they didn't want it/not given consent for such an action? I can't remember if the Cambridge Data Protection Form specified it.

Sorry for the long and ramble post! I know that it may seem like a rather odd and trivial query, but my friend's rather upset at having such confidential information shared. Thank in advance to anybody who can help!
Original post by IDGE
Hi guys,

I have a few rather strange questions to ask, and I'd appreciate it if anybody could help me out!
A friend of mine was rejected from Cambridge and didn't particularly want feedback. However, my school now has individual feedback regarding all of this year's applicants, even though nobody made a request for it. Our UCAS referee has claimed that Cambridge must have accidentally sent the feedback for all applicants this year - I find this highly implausible (as I'm sure it would breach some kind of data protection law? Although I don't know if it's protocol for Cambridge?) and I'm now trying to figure out if said teacher had requested feedback for all applicants (unbeknownst to us all) and is just lying about it.
As a follow up question, does anybody know if the school is allowed to obtain feedback from the university regarding a pupil even if said pupil has explicitly said that they didn't want it/not given consent for such an action? I can't remember if the Cambridge Data Protection Form specified it.

Sorry for the long and ramble post! I know that it may seem like a rather odd and trivial query, but my friend's rather upset at having such confidential information shared. Thank in advance to anybody who can help!

I'm not up to scratch on the whole laws thing- but I know for my college (St John's), they said that only the ucas referee may request our feedback (ie we, as applicants, can't). It's probably in their T and Cs somewhere- given that we've 'asked' them to be our referee, we trust them with information regarding our application (purely speculative :tongue:). Don't know if this helps!
Original post by IDGE
Hi guys,

Its not a mistake. At the start of the process before interviews i filled out forms for feedback reply slips so that they send the feedback on my application towards my referee so that the candidates know where they went weong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by random_boy
Hi people. I was rejected from Queens for Engineering this year. I am very upset and really wanted to get in. I am seriously considering taking a gap year (especially if I get rejected from Imperial). I was placed in the winter pool before rejection. I would like to seek advice from some of you.

My grade predictions were decent: 41/45 IB points. (7s in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and 6s in Economics, English and Norwegian). In the feedback, they said that I showed good interest in the course. They said that I made good progress in pure maths problems in my first interview. However, they said that I found it harder to apply knowledge to real world situations and was not fast as other candidates in tackling these types of problems. My TSA score was 65.0 (just outside the top quartile) with 82.6 in critical thinking and 54.6 in problem solving (a much lower score). In the feedback they clearly say that they had a number of candidates who were both stronger on paper and in person.

Do you guys think that if I achieve 43 or 44 IB points (which I am confident I can achieve), I should reapply?
I am participating in Physics olympiad also this year and have made it to the second round thus far. I was thinking that I should take STEP papers this year and see if I can achieve something which may bolster my application. I am going to practice my problem solving in maths and physics a lot, so I expect myself to improve a lot in that regards.

What do you guys think? Is it worth giving it another shot? I do not have any idea whatsoever about what I can do in the gap year, but I will try to figure something out. Please be honest, even if the truth is harsh. Thanks very much,

I didn't apply for engineering, but I'd say definitely give it another shot. It probably really depends on the course, but maybe try and get some relevant work experience so you can apply your academic knowledge to the real life situations. Try doing past papers for the TSA I guess (I have a feeling that the IB doesn't prepare you well for these kinds of tests, because I really messed up my BMAT). Ultimately it's up to you, what offers you get this year, and if you know that you really want to go to Cambridge. Good luck and I hope you get Imperial :smile:
Original post by IDGE
Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure that when we signed the data protection form we agreed to allow feedback to be sent to our referee. It seems highly unlikely that the university would have sent it as a mistake, especially as you probably all applied to different colleges.
Original post by ShellySpielberg
I didn't apply for engineering, but I'd say definitely give it another shot. It probably really depends on the course, but maybe try and get some relevant work experience so you can apply your academic knowledge to the real life situations. Try doing past papers for the TSA I guess (I have a feeling that the IB doesn't prepare you well for these kinds of tests, because I really messed up my BMAT). Ultimately it's up to you, what offers you get this year, and if you know that you really want to go to Cambridge. Good luck and I hope you get Imperial :smile:

Thanks very much for the advice. Did you get into Cambridge (I assume you applied for medicine)?

Original post by uklizzie
If you do decide to reapply it is usually recommended to choose a different college from your first application. Why not choose one that doesn't require the TSA?

Yes I will probably choose a college which does not require TSA (if I decide to reapply). Thanks for the advice.

Original post by Elcor
If you get an offer from Imperial, I'd go there. It is extremely well-known and prestigious for Engineering. You'd be taking a risk by taking a gap year. Do you think in that time you improve on what they didn't like from your application this year? If so, and you really want to go to Cambridge, then it might be the best option.

If I get offer from Imperial, then I will go there. But if I don't get in there, I will either have to go to Bristol or Southampton (both of which have made offers of 38 IB points). Since I will probably exceed these requirements by around 4-5 IB points, I feel like I deserve to go to a better university. I wish there were more UK universities that were of equal standard to Imperial. But thanks for the suggestions.

Original post by laurensmiley97
I think if you get that IB score then you have a good chance, I would also practise a lot of TSA papers and see if other people (perhaps teachers) can ask you Cambridge-style application questions.
But remember, there are other courses out there and if you feel that with a year out you wouldn't be able to improve your thinking skills then it's probably not worth taking a gap year!
Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was underpredicted in Economics and TOK/EE so I am confident I can achieve 43 points and maybe even 44 if I am lucky. Do you think an increase of 2-3 IB points and the fact that I will have achieved them instead of being predicted them will make a big difference to my application?

I will definitely practice lot during the year. I think I can improve my thinking skills this year. My biggest concern is that I live in Norway and do not speak Norwegian very well so it is difficult to find a job or some work experience relevant to Engineering which I can do in the gap year. I feel like I will be wasting a year. And if I don't get into Cambridge or Imperial while reapplying, I will be so devastated.
Thanks very much for the advice. Did you get into Cambridge (I assume you applied for medicine)?

Yes I did get in and I applied for veterinary medicine.
I happened to see you mention you don't speak norwegian very well. I live in Germany and my German is not the best, so I got almost all of my work experience in the Philippines. Maybe if you have family somewhere else, or you book a placement abroad you can get valuable relevant work experience there?
Good luck for Imperial! :smile:

I was underpredicted in Economics and TOK/EE so I am confident I can achieve 43 points and maybe even 44 if I am lucky. Do you think an increase of 2-3 IB points and the fact that I will have achieved them instead of being predicted them will make a big difference to my application?

I will definitely practice lot during the year. I think I can improve my thinking skills this year. My biggest concern is that I live in Norway and do not speak Norwegian very well so it is difficult to find a job or some work experience relevant to Engineering which I can do in the gap year. I feel like I will be wasting a year. And if I don't get into Cambridge or Imperial while reapplying, I will be so devastated.

I think that having an excellent IB score next year will look very good and if the other parts of your application are borderline then they may feel like they're taking less of a 'risk' with you :smile:
However, spending your gap year productively would be very important. Is there any chance you could find an english-speaking (or whatever's your first language) firm that you could go to? Or somewhere where the person/ people you'd be shadowing speak english? If these aren't possible then maybe try to find something long-term (i.e. around 2 months) in a different country. I appreciate this might be difficult but unless you spend your gap year productively then there's not really much point in reapplying. :s-smilie:

Yes I will probably choose a college which does not require TSA (if I decide to reapply). Thanks for the advice.

If I get offer from Imperial, then I will go there. But if I don't get in there, I will either have to go to Bristol or Southampton (both of which have made offers of 38 IB points). Since I will probably exceed these requirements by around 4-5 IB points, I feel like I deserve to go to a better university. I wish there were more UK universities that were of equal standard to Imperial. But thanks for the suggestions.

I would honestly seriously consider whether or not you apply to a college requesting the TSA. I received an offer from Queens' for Computer Science and had to sit the TSA. On past papers (there's lots of them on the oxford site) I was hitting about 30/50 so I must have done well on the day! My main reasoning for this is that this year, a greater number of colleges asked for the TSA and so apply to the college you want to go to! There's no point in trying to play the system - there's evidence that shows a positive correlation between TSA score and tripos success, so I'd just keep working at past papers!
(edited 9 years ago)

Hey there. I was rejected from St John's for Chemical Engineering via Engineering. I was predicted a 45, and having completed my EE, TOK and my mock exams, I might actually get those points:eek3:. I had some work experience and prepared well for my interviews and test.. still, I met a lot of really strong candidates there, and together with being international and all, I wasn't surprised they didn't want me (still cried though haha).
I just firmed Manchester since I love the course, the city, the department and just the overall atmosphere when I was there, but the condition is only 37 points. I seriously regret not applying to Imperial and I totally understand the maybe I deserve to go to a better university feeling, and that there should be more universities that require 40+ points, but I'm now really excited to make the most out of the next four years studying what I love (cliche but yeah).
I hope you get into Imperial, good luck! I'm sure wherever you decide to go, you'd still be absolutely amazing :smile:
Reply 5112
Original post by This Is My Swamp
I'm not up to scratch on the whole laws thing- but I know for my college (St John's), they said that only the ucas referee may request our feedback (ie we, as applicants, can't). It's probably in their T and Cs somewhere- given that we've 'asked' them to be our referee, we trust them with information regarding our application (purely speculative :tongue:). Don't know if this helps!

Original post by physicsmaths
Its not a mistake. At the start of the process before interviews i filled out forms for feedback reply slips so that they send the feedback on my application towards my referee so that the candidates know where they went weong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by alwaysalex
I'm pretty sure that when we signed the data protection form we agreed to allow feedback to be sent to our referee. It seems highly unlikely that the university would have sent it as a mistake, especially as you probably all applied to different colleges.

Thank you all! :smile:

Sorry to barge in but apart from the specimen paper available online do you know where I could get the past papers for TSA or indeed the best way to prepare for the TSA? I might need it next year.

Many thanks.
Original post by novatech
Sorry to barge in but apart from the specimen paper available online do you know where I could get the past papers for TSA or indeed the best way to prepare for the TSA? I might need it next year.

Many thanks.

Now that I really don't know. Maybe try asking some of the engineers on this thread. Or look at both the oxford or cambridge websites, they might have some hidden ones on there... sorry I can't be of much help... But good luck for next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by novatech

Many thanks.

Or pick a college that doesn't require TSA :wink:
What I don't understand is if you don't think you can do the TSA or similar why do you think Cambridge is for you ???
Original post by Flippi1
What I don't understand is if you don't think you can do the TSA or similar why do you think Cambridge is for you ???

Not many colleges ask for TSA for Engineering and it would make sense for a candidate to play to their strengths. If they don't fancy TSA then fair enough.

Only Clare, Emma, Jesus, Newnham, Queens', Selwyn, Sidney Sussex and Tit Hall ask for it. And according to Camb analysis, it's not actually all that good an indicator of Tripos success anyway.

http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/guide/table3.html

https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/research/docs/prefective_effectiveness_of_metrics_in_admission.pdf
Now that I really don't know. Maybe try asking some of the engineers on this thread. Or look at both the oxford or cambridge websites, they might have some hidden ones on there... sorry I can't be of much help... But good luck for next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats ok. Thanks, I'll look out.
Original post by jneill
Or pick a college that doesn't require TSA :wink:

Thats another way forward, I guess :wink:

Do you know what happens - if one applies to a college which doesn't ask for tsa - they decide to pool the candi - is then 'fished' by a college that uses the tsa - ?:frown:

I have seen so many of your previous posts - you've been very helpful - thank you very much. Your son is taking a gap year, isn't he?

Latest

Trending

Trending