Cambridge Decisions 2015 - info and FAQ Watch

This discussion is closed.
jchap9776
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ubisoft)
For essay subjects I think 88% should be fine. For STEM if you have less than 93% your chances are very slim
Yeah it's only one module, my average econ ums is 96 and double maths average is 96 so not feeling too bad about it
whatacrydonnie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
You have got to be kidding me.

I am literally less than a hundred metres away from living in a Quintile with lowest entry... Apparently I live in the highest category bull****

I live with chavs on a ****ty Street, stupid postcode... Could have had a flag there

My gcse school doesn't have data available for grades though I don't think so can't see if it's sub 40. Although I'm pretty sure it is
Do you only get a red flag if you live in a quintile 1 area?
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by whatacrydonnie)
Do you only get a red flag if you live in a quintile 1 area?
Again from http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...tion1/1_4.html

"Flag type 2: socio-economic
  • Flag if an applicant's home postcode is in the bottom two POLAR3 categories, i.e. they are from a Low Participation Neighbourhood for the purposes of our OFFA Agreement, or in the second lowest Quintile. The POLAR3 Quintile will be presented showing Quintile 1 in bold, Quintile 2 in non-bold and leaving the POLAR3 column blank for Quintiles 3, 4 and 5.
  • Flag if an applicant's home postcode is in one of Output Area Classification (OAC) super-groups 1-5 or sub-groups 7a1, 6c2 and 4c1, i.e. they are likely to be members of groups from which we currently receive fewer than half the undergraduate applications that we might expect."

POLAR3 map
http://www.hefce.ac.uk/whatwedo/wp/o...cipationareas/
davidgdg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
Ah, hold on I'm wrong...

"De-selection decisions should be made in consultation with the relevant Director(s) of Studies, with the ultimate decision resting with the Admissions Tutor."

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...tion1/1_4.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Strictly speaking that is dealing with decisions not to interview rather than decisions not to make an offer after interview. But the name "admissions tutor" presumably answers the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
whatacrydonnie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
Again from http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...tion1/1_4.html

"Flag type 2: socio-economic
  • Flag if an applicant's home postcode is in the bottom two POLAR3 categories, i.e. they are from a Low Participation Neighbourhood for the purposes of our OFFA Agreement, or in the second lowest Quintile. The POLAR3 Quintile will be presented showing Quintile 1 in bold, Quintile 2 in non-bold and leaving the POLAR3 column blank for Quintiles 3, 4 and 5.
  • Flag if an applicant's home postcode is in one of Output Area Classification (OAC) super-groups 1-5 or sub-groups 7a1, 6c2 and 4c1, i.e. they are likely to be members of groups from which we currently receive fewer than half the undergraduate applications that we might expect."

POLAR3 map
http://www.hefce.ac.uk/whatwedo/wp/o...cipationareas/
Thank you, that was really helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Elcor)
So does a blue point correspond to a rejection?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep
julkass
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tomfailinghelp)
I'm about 99% sure that you get a flag if your school has produced fewer than 5 Oxbridge students (successful) in the last 5 years. I definitely heard that here, because I remember asking my head of sixth.

Do you think it also applies to schools outside the UK?
My school has never had an Oxbridge student!
Littlebird5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone know if and when Christ's sends offer emails? I live abroad and our mail is the definition of snail mail... I don't think I could cope with having to wait for a letter to arrive!
Ombre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by julkass)
Do you think it also applies to schools outside the UK?
My school has never had an Oxbridge student!
Doesn't, otherwise nearly all EU/overseas applicants would get a type 3 flag regardless of school quality
Goods
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aworldalone)
Are most people who have been fished from the pool re-interviewed? Or are most of them just given a straight offer?

What is the deciding factor on whether you are re-interviewed or not?
I was reinterviewed as were all other natscis pooled to robinson

Posted from TSR Mobile
ajeebaaji
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lets do dis :
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Back to school today, need to get up in less than 5 hours, cannot sleep because Cambridge anxiety. Uuuurgh.
Edg147
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anybody here from the U.S.?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anmar
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, Is anyone here applying for Law at Sidney?:cool:
Daphinator
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Edg147)
Anybody here from the U.S.?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am! You too?
Edg147
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah. What course/college did you apply for?
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Littlebird5)
Does anyone know if and when Christ's sends offer emails? I live abroad and our mail is the definition of snail mail... I don't think I could cope with having to wait for a letter to arrive!
From 12th
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Right school, let's be getting on with ya
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone else not bricking it?

It's really bad because it must mean I think I'm in :rofl: I think it's because I'm not thinking about it, because I know if I get a rejection I'll be devastated...

But yeah, I'm cool beans (so far...) we'll see what happens over the next couple of days :mmm:
User1255194
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We will have to wait the whole day at school on Friday to find out. That is what annoys me - it will just be sitting at home waiting to be opened. Luckily for me I'm not too fussed right now. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise