The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Will the letter have a stamp on the front indicating which college is has been sent from? If so, can you assume you have an offer if you receive a letter from a college you didn't apply to?
Original post by physicsmaths
1,2s ???? whatttt. that aint fair to people who narrowly miss SS offers and dont get accepted though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, definitely.

Although colleges might justify individual offers by circumstances (e.g. from a crummy school with teachers who will basically be useless at helping with STEP vs a good school with experienced and able teachers) or by doubt (e.g. 'this girl did really well at interview and high UMS, we'll give her a slightly easier offer, this guy was borderline on both counts, let's really make sure and give him a tougher offer').

Even so people getting in with 1, 2 or even 1, 3 (there was one in my year with the latter) when others are rejected with S, 1 seems to be going far too far.
Reply 1602
Original post by suzanamarieXD
Thank God! I was really curious about this but didn't want to ask/someone else to ask because I was scared of the answer lol - good to know it can go either way!!

I'd honestly rather know right away by looking at the envelope type, if I'm honest! Especially as I have a feeling that I'll be so out of it by the time the post arrives that I won't be able to read the letter properly to figure out what their decision was. I guess only time will tell, though!
Original post by ClickItBack
Hah, you've got something like S, 1 already right? No sympathy for you if you get an unconditional . . . much sympathy if they force you to retake :wink:.

A rather modest 1,1 im afraid :wink: Still, its quite frightening to think that if they dont want me then they simply won't take me :frown: Literally exhausted by all the waiting in this process...just hope it has a happy ending.

But if im asked to take STEP again -- I think i will fall down dead. The past week has felt like the longest time of my life, couldnt bear to imagine what another 8 month wait would do to me! I dont know how you coped, though i guess the 1,2 softened the blow haha
Original post by marsbms
What's the meaning of this sentence "154 pooled applicants received offers from the College that pooled them " ?

Could your college "take you back" ?
Yep :smile:

Original post by Edac
Will the letter have a stamp on the front indicating which college is has been sent from? If so, can you assume you have an offer if you receive a letter from a college you didn't apply to?

They might do.

And yes you could!
GUYS

Interested in what the daily life of a Cambridge student is REALLY like? This Sunday, on twitter, CUSU Access will be launching a series of accounts for a variety of subjects, using #CamTweet (the Cambridge counterpart to #OxTweet).

Students across all years and several colleges will be tweeting from their account. If you want a daily insight into it, have a look! They will be taking any questions, with some dedicated Q&A sessions every now and again.
How does it happen ?

(thanks :smile:)
Original post by newblood
I very much doubt anyone who just missed an SS offer doesnt get accepted to another college. Though i obviously cant confirm this

i seen it on another thread bro. some geezer got s11 or something i didnt get picked up by another college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GenericUser2
I've heard that you can tell if you have been accepted/rejected based off the type of letter you receive.

For example: An A4 envelope which feels thick would suggest an acceptance vs an A5 envelope which feels relatively empty, suggesting rejection.

Does this have any validity?

P.S. I know it might seem relatively pointless, but it's annoying me for some reason.

No, not at all. Well, that is based on feeling my friends Oxford acceptance letter, which was A5 and contained one sheet of paper...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paralove
GUYS

Interested in what the daily life of a Cambridge student is REALLY like? This Sunday, on twitter, CUSU Access will be launching a series of accounts for a variety of subjects, using #CamTweet (the Cambridge counterpart to #OxTweet).

Students across all years and several colleges will be tweeting from their account. If you want a daily insight into it, have a look! They will be taking any questions, with some dedicated Q&A sessions every now and again.

Sounds amazing! Is there an economics account?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are there 3 STEP papers? So can you get offers for 2 or 3 of them, then? Not a Maths applicant just curious haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1611
Original post by marsbms
What's the meaning of this sentence "154 pooled applicants received offers from the College that pooled them " ?

It means that there were 154 applicants whose preference colleges put them in the Pool to compare them with other applicants, and decided to take them out again.

Original post by Edac
I wouldn't make any assumptions until I had opened the letter and read what it said :smile:
Reply 1612
Original post by marsbms
How does it happen ?

(thanks :smile:)
What? Colleges taking people out of the Pool? There is an agreed process which is no longer made public, essentially involving colleges making decisions about which applicants they are putting in the Pool that they still *might* be interested in - there comes a point when they have to make up their minds one way or the other.
Are all of those who miss their STEP offer but get accepted anyway counted as summer pool acceptances? Or is this just those who end up at different colleges?
Original post by physicsmaths
i seen it on another thread bro. some geezer got s11 or something i didnt get picked up by another college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know someone this year was rejected - after summer pool - with a (low) 1,1 off an S,S offer which I feel is unfair on the surface of it (I dont know much else about the applicant apart from he was international with an offer from Churchill). However, I would have assumed by "just" missing S,S you meant obtaining an S,1 or high 1,1.
Reply 1615
Original post by Edac

I'm pretty sure your college of choice has to reply to you tomorrow/saturday so no. Even if they say you've been rejected but have been picked up elsewhere.
Does anyone ever sit and do maths and FREAK because it's SO COOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marsbms

By the sounds of it, yes. I think they are probably only likely to do it if you are put in the pool and no other colleges choose you. That is just my best guess anyway
Original post by CaitlinDy
Does anyone ever sit and do maths and FREAK because it's SO COOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

First time I did complex numbers (self taught) = mind blown

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CluffyUno
Are all of those who miss their STEP offer but get accepted anyway counted as summer pool acceptances? Or is this just those who end up at different colleges?

sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending