Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the correct way to reference roper, logan and tierney's activities of living? I want to say in an essay that I based my care around this model of nursing but am unsure how to reference it and the date (by the way its the harvard system of referencing). Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinnamon Girl)
    Does anyone know the correct way to reference roper, logan and tierney's activities of living? I want to say in an essay that I based my care around this model of nursing but am unsure how to reference it and the date (by the way its the harvard system of referencing). Thanks x
    is it a book?

ReputationRep:
    No I just want to say I based my care on this model, but not sure whether to reference it or not.

ReputationRep:
    This web site is doing what you want to do and they have referenced the book at the end of the article.

http://www.nursesnetwork.co.uk/forum...showtopic=1325

ReputationRep:
    Using the reference from the website posted above, this is how we were taught to reference using the Harvard System:

Roper, N; Logan, W; Tierney, A (2002) The Elements of Nursing [4th edition], Edinburgh, Churchill Livingstone.

Although I thought RLT's Activities of Daily Living were older than that. :confused:

[edit] Doh! 4th edition. Nevermind....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_st/n)
    Using the reference from the website posted above, this is how we were taught to reference using the Harvard System:

Roper, N; Logan, W; Tierney, A (2002) The Elements of Nursing [4th edition], Edinburgh, Churchill Livingstone.

Although I thought RLT's Activities of Daily Living were older than that. :confused:

[edit] Doh! 4th edition. Nevermind....
    yup, thats how you'd reference in the reference list. In the main text body you only list the authors names and then the year

e.g. Roper, Logan and Tierney (2002).....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackieS)
    yup, thats how you'd reference in the reference list. In the main text body you only list the authors names and then the year

e.g. Roper, Logan and Tierney (2002).....
    Or you can just use Roper et al. (2002), et al. standing for 'and others' I believe. Useful when many people have collaborated on the same text - you can use it if there are three or more authors, but not if there are only two or one. Just don't forget to put the date on each reference within your essay - at my previous uni they were always complaining people hadn't referenced properly and were losing marks because of it.

See you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinglepupskye)
    Or you can just use Roper et al. (2002), et al. standing for 'and others' I believe. Useful when many people have collaborated on the same text - you can use it if there are three or more authors, but not if there are only two or one. Just don't forget to put the date on each reference within your essay - at my previous uni they were always complaining people hadn't referenced properly and were losing marks because of it.

See you.
    but check with your uni.

At herts we used the Harvard Referencing and when you mentioned the reference for the first time you had to write all the authors in full and could then put et al for any other times you mentioned them after that.

But at Geroge's we also use Harvard but have to put et al from the beginning and never have to list them all on the first reference

although its the same system there are a few discrepancies between uni's so best to check your uni's style manual or something to be sure

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 26, 2006

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.