Turn on thread page Beta

Anatheme goes flab hunting watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    TOO MANY FLABS. They must go.

Aim: Get toned and eat better. I'm not looking to lose weight, I just want less rolls of fat when I sit down and to try and force myself to cook more and eat next to no processed food/food I haven't cooked myself (also because I'm broke and London is bloody expensive).

Programme: I got my hands on Kayla Itsines' books and I'd like to see what they're worth. If I combine this and my yoga sessions and a few other bits and bobs, it should give me a mix of resistance training, LISS, HIIT, core and flexibility.

Before (01/01/15):
    Spoiler:
    Show

Weight: 62.6kg
    Height: 170cm/5'7"

If you must quote me, please just replace my original message by an X. I'd just like to be able to go back and delete what I posted easily, thank you very much for respecting my privacy

ReputationRep:
    I decided to give myself last week to relax and plan properly, so I started today. As I work full-time and don't really have much time to spare, I have to plan my cooking and exercising so I know what I'm supposed to do and when. Another thing is that I have unwillingly become addicted to sugar, so I'll also be slowly weaning myself off to avoid the withdrawal symptoms.

Meals:
    - breakfast: porridge with dark chocolate chips
    - lunch: quinoa, cucumber, red onion and tomato salad
    - dinner: Sweet potato hash, but I replaced the egg for some chicken

Exercise:
    I'm just off to the gym to start Kayla Itsines' programme. I'll be doing the first resistance training sessions (legs and cardio circuits) which involves amongst other things squats, lunges, knee ups, burpees. I haven't actually managed to find a bad review of the programme itself (except for the price but I haven't paid for it…) and the results from the girls who've done the programme are impressive. Apparently the first week is relatively easy, and it gets progressively harder. We'll see how it goes!

EDIT: Oww man it hurts. My legs are dead! I thought I was gonna fall down the stairs because I can't really walk anymore now…

ReputationRep:
    DAY TWOOO!
    My legs were suitably in pain after what I inflicted upon them yesterday, but being the master stretcher that I am, it doesn't hurt more than it should and I can still nail the tube escalators like a boss.

Meals:
    - breakfast: double porridge with dark chocolate chips (not a double serving of chocolate chips, though) - This is my staple, I take breakfast at work and it's not unhealthy so I keep it that way.
    - lunch: the same quinoa, cucumber, red onion and tomato salad (I made a massive batch, still have one portion left)
    - dinner: I made a hot salad with spinach, sweet potatoes, chicken, cheddar, avocado and a dash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. ALL TEH NOMZ.

Exercise:
    I erm… Forgot my LISS session, so I'll do that another time (probably tomorrow). I went back to yoga, which was suitably challenging but greatly, greatly helped stretch my legs further, which will make them a thousand times better tomorrow, I expect! I do love yoga, it's relaxing, just challenging enough and you can definitely feel your body work!

ReputationRep:
    Day three

Meals:
    - lunch: salad with spinach, sweet potatoes, chicken, cheddar, avocado and a dash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
    - dinner: quinoa, cucumber, red onion and tomato salad

I may have had a cookie and some chocolate…

Exercise:
    I cheated a little bit. It's recommended to do LISS and resistance training at two different times in your day. I did it in one go. The plan was to do my resistance training, then go to an aqua fitness class, then do my LISS session. It went a bit pear shaped as I only managed 3/4 of the resistance training because I didn't have enough time before the aqua fitness class. I expected the class to be quite relaxed and easy given the average age of the participants (well over 60!) - God I was wrong. I was so, so wrong. It was painful and an excellent workout, so I did not feel bad about not finishing my resistance training. At all. Then I cheated a bit again as I decided I'd done my LISS cardio even though instead of doing 30/40min in one go I did 20min and 15min later on because I couldn't really be bothered.

The resistance training was an arms and core circuits and it was quite painful - arms aren't my forte…

Day four

Meals:
    - lunch: sweet potato hash with no protein
    - dinner: the same, but I added some cheddar

Exercise:
    I had my Thursday yoga class. It's not my favourite class, although the teacher is very nice and enthusiastic too many people turn up and it's a bit cramped. It also feels a bit more Pilates than yoga and I'm not as relaxed when I come out of these classes as with my other teacher. She also has a favourite student and keeps telling everyone about amazing this girl is doing when we could all do with a bit of attention from her to correct us. It's only a replacement for my Sunday class, but meh. Also my arms were pretty dead so I struggled with most of the workout!

Day five

Meals:
    - lunch: salad with spinach, sweet potatoes, chicken, cheddar, avocado and a dash of olive oil and red wine vinegar.
    - dinner: Thai pad see ew but I didn't have any protein again so it was all vegs.

Exercise:
    I skipped my resistance training, so I'll do that tomorrow (rest day won't hurt) and will do my LISS on sunday as I suspect I'll be walking a lot as my family will be visiting!

ReputationRep:
    So far, I have to say I'm not yet reaping the benefits. I enjoy cooking and I found some tasty and quick recipes to make, I've managed not to buy anything from the store in a week and lasted a whole week on £25 which I'm pretty proud of. However all this exercise and cooking means I don't sleep as much and I'm a little bit cranky and out of it at times, which isn't ideal. I live quite far from work and my commute takes up too much of my day, if I'm honest

ReputationRep:
    Maybe incorporate exercise into your daily commute if possible? Will save some time in the evenings and you can continue cooking your meals and getting a bit more sleep. You can't get an effective workout when you've not slept enough (at least I feel this way).

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.