Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My father is so old fashioned and stuck in his views, I don't know how to handle him at this point. I am going to university next year. I have a bit of insomnia and can't sleep..
    My father got up and started a 40 minute rant about how I am being an idiot and it is simple to get over it.. Well no I goto bed at 12 everynight and don't sleep to 5 it really isn't that simple.

He also ranted on about how I am in dreamland about wanting to immigrate to America, of course it is hard to get there but it is not impossible and I don't think its rediculous to have am ambition to move there. He said I am an idiot and being mollycuddled and its all a fantasy land. He always says this to me and makes me feel like a maniac as if I have no realistic dreams. I start to think about this and then think its true.

I have £2,000 saved up and I wanted to go there in the summer and then he started eating me about that saying i'm daft for doing that. Again I am 19 years of age and I don't think its too rediculous to do that.

He also calls me all the names under the sun throughout the day and also during this arguement.

Sometimes I do think that there is something wrong with me and my father is right. But I don't agree that calling me all the names under the sun is an appropriate method to reach out to someone and get your viewpoint. I think my dad thinks i'm stupid and niave and I don't know what i'm doing when I would never put myself in a dangerous position.

I am hurt and upset after this arguement. I don't really want to speak to him today and after all the problems i've had I didn't want to listen to someone saying I was in dreamland. My father has his views but god he is brilliant at making someone feel bad about themselves.

ReputationRep:
    How old is your dad?

ReputationRep:
    This famous poem may help, or it may not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    How old is your dad?
    Almost 60.

ReputationRep:
    And what does your father do for a living/what has he done for a living/what does he want to do for a living?

ReputationRep:
    Um why does this matter?

ReputationRep:
    Well he probably failed at life and is stuck doing something he hates for decades. Mine is the same and he has lost all ambition for it and has become cold bitter cynical and actually just gained a completely distorted sense of reality. He's insecure and thinks everybody is out to get him and has no confidence in himself and is generally inept at anything other than manual labour.

There might be jealously combined with the delusion and cynicism. It makes a nasty combination.

ReputationRep:
    No my dad is retired and he had a good job hes just old fashioned and using his fathers method of raising us. Honestly hes not jealous he just thinks the tough love is the right way to raise us. But tbh i'm a bit fed up of it now and don't really want to be bothered with it anymore. Why should I keep listening to abuse and being treated like i'm stupid

I think he is a bit insecure though because he always laughs at me or my sister whenever someone says something nasty about us. When I tell him something and tell him not to tell them he goes and tells them right infront of me.

ReputationRep:
    Well?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Simes)
    This famous poem may help, or it may not.
    Bit harsh! But funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2015
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.