Turn on thread page Beta

Would you send your children to a private school? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you send your children to a private school?
    Yes
    67.79%
    No
    22.15%
    Don't know yet
    10.07%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousy)
    Yeh, but you can have a good state school, that isnt a grammer school and doesnt require an entrance exam.
    Doesn't stop the majority of good schools being grammars though. That's using the government's own "value added" measure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousy)
    Yeh, but you can have a good state school, that isnt a grammer school and doesnt require an entrance exam.
    the two tier system mean that only grammer schools are supposed to make higher level gcse papers accessible. how can a school be good if they actively discourage kids from getting higher than a C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by high priestess fnord)
    the two tier system mean that only grammer schools are supposed to make higher level gcse papers accessible. how can a school be good if they actively discourage kids from getting higher than a C?
    that is not necesarily the case. plenty of state schools allow and encourage kids to take higher level papers!

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous! even in some of the worst schools in london, pupils have the choice of which exam they want to do! and even though i went to a grammar school, there were plenty of people who did foundation level exams from subjects like French and IT, all the way up to Maths and English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sak-y)
    That's ridiculous! even in some of the worst schools in london, pupils have the choice of which exam they want to do! and even though i went to a grammar school, there were plenty of people who did foundation level exams from subjects like French and IT, all the way up to Maths and English.
    my local comps offered the higher paper, they just didnt teach the higher level sylabus. if that isnt discouraging i dont know what is.

ReputationRep:
    Yes..it's not even the academic I am worried about but it's also the mannerism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousy)
    that is not necesarily the case. plenty of state schools allow and encourage kids to take higher level papers!
    read the post. grammer schools are state schools

ReputationRep:
    If by some miracle I had kids, I’d rather let them go to a Grammar school rather than a Private one.

Comprehensive schools (by my personal experience) often let a lot of bright kids down with their constant "progress target" without realising a generation of kids are not getting educated. So maybe sometime in the future one political party with moral stands will actually support Grammar schools for kids whose parents may not be able to send them to private.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_Jenkins)
    If by some miracle I had kids, I’d rather let them go to a Grammar school rather than a Private one.

Comprehensive schools (by my personal experience) often let a lot of bright kids down with their constant "progress target" without realising a generation of kids are not getting educated. So maybe sometime in the future one political party with moral stands will actually support Grammar schools for kids whose parents may not be able to send them to private.
    Unfortunately though, grammar schools are a dying breed, so in the future the most likely choice parents will have will be either a comprehensive or a private school.

ReputationRep:
    i'd definately send my kids to private school if i could.
    i've been to one all my life, my dad sacrificed a lot to send me there and i can't thank him enough for that. i don't feel like i've had a sheltered life away from the real world, i just think it's pushed me academically more than a state school would.fair enough there are some really snobby people at my school, but my school fees aren't that high compared to some private schools and it's not in a posh area so most people are 'normal'.
    i hate the way some people say that private school pupils are spoon fed and pay for their grades, that's a load of rubbish, the reason that private school students tend to get higher grades is because you are expected to, anything below a C is counted as a failure. it's harsh, but in general it works. there is also the class sizes which tend to be a lot smaller, so teachers have more time to spend on each pupil.
    the only disadvantage of private schools is that because my sixth form is so small, i might get a bit of a shock when i go to uni and there are loads of people, but i don't really see that as a reason not to send a child to private school!

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you. At my grammar anything below a B was a failure, which it is. We actively joked about how bad something was if we got a C in it. The worse it was the funnier it was; there was usually some funny backstory as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by City bound)
    Lucky you. At my grammar anything below a B was a failure, which it is. We actively joked about how bad something was if we got a C in it. The worse it was the funnier it was; there was usually some funny backstory as well.
    Here we have an example of snobbery in a state grammar school. See, private schools are not the only haunts of "look-down-upon-thou" kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup_dragon87)
    Here we have an example of snobbery in a state grammar school. See, private schools are not the only haunts of "look-down-upon-thou" kids.
    Perhaps I should have qualified that. "...failure, which it was for us."

It was totally justified. There was no reason for anyone, at that highly selective grammar, to be getting anything less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup_dragon87)
    In my opinion, privately educated people are more emplyable. People say that PS isn't about getting the right accent and mixing with the right people anymore, but it still is. Apart from receiving a better education, you get the kinder eye of privately educated employers, you get the 'old boy' network. You're getting a better chance than the guy next to you in life, basically.
    I agree with you. That is one of the main points why private schooling gives you an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't read the debate so far (will catch up over the next few posts), but yes I would, unequivocally and without reserve.

If there was no good state alternative, I could afford it, and my children wanted to go there, I would send my kids to a private school. I went and it did me the world of good; who am I to deny the same opportunity to my children?

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger in my crazed state I would have said never. Now, I'm not so sure. Provided they weren't to become snobs then the oppurtunity to get a first class education in a good environment with other kids who took education seriously and were sensible, seems a good one. However, I don't know what private schools are like as I have no experience of them. There may be just as much twattishness and distractions from education as in a state school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by City bound)
    haha...you think that bad! In our school, if the top sets got lower than an A, we got told to get our act together! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sak-y)
    haha...you think that bad! In our school, if the top sets got lower than an A, we got told to get our act together! :rolleyes:
    Oh of course. GCSE maths for example, I got told to pull my socks up because I only got 92% in one exam! Set 1 maths, fun fun fun!

ReputationRep:
    read the post. grammer schools are state schools
    Yes, I am aware that grammer schools are state schools, my point was that supposedly lower tier state schools offer and teach higher level papers. You may have had an experience where they don't, but that doesn't therefore mean that every 'crappy' state school does the same.

ReputationRep:
    If the state school they would otherwise go to wasnt especially good yes.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.