Turn on thread page Beta

Broadchurch (series two thread) watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It starts tomorrow at 9pm on ITV.

So, who will be watching? What do you expect? Will it live up to the first series?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    It starts tomorrow at 9pm on ITV.

So, who will be watching? What do you expect? Will it live up to the first series?
    I will be for sure

I have high expectations tbh, I think it will be as good as the first if not better. Also glad David Tennant's in it still I thought he was excellent in the first series :yep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    One thing worth mentioning is the fact that this series will NOT be a whodunnit. It's about the community post-Danny Latimer's death.

This is a good thing imo, stops the show become Midsomer Murders-esque.

ReputationRep:
    So excited for the return of Broadchurch! Also glad it won't be another whodunnit, I was fearing it would be and that the show would get stale.

Will it be as good as the first series? Who knows...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ManicPumpkin)
    Will it be as good as the first series? Who knows...
    Definitely not! We can hope, though.

ReputationRep:
    Going good so far! Liking the direction with the two cases running simultaneously; and it gives scope for more secrets about the town to emerge as Joe Miller implied there were more!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Quite the opener.

Really pleased that they are focusing on Sandbrook personally, it delves into Hardy and gives the character more depth. The twist with the not guilty plea was a bit obvious I felt - and I can't wait for next week. The exhumation was a bit of a shock, and the drama did a good job of introducing the new characters. Really like the premise of focusing on the two legal teams.

Plenty more secrets to still come out in the wash, according to Joe Miller. Intriguing first week - and it didn't disappoint which I'm pleased about! Roll on episode two.

ReputationRep:
    Was pleasantly surprised by the opening episode. Going in a different direction was definitely the best move. Harnessing the talent that created the first series and creating a different type of story could mean we're in for something special again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Episode 2 tonight, folks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Love it a lot! Looking forward to tonight's episode

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't crazy about the second episode but I feel it was a transition into the real start of season 2 so definitely looking forward to next week. The last ten minutes or so were great though even if a tad predictable.

ReputationRep:
    One thing worth mentioning is the fact that this series will NOT be a whodunnit. It's about the community post-Danny Latimer's death.

This is a good thing imo, stops the show become Midsomer Murders-esque.
    I don't know - I think maybe Tom did it, and his father is covering up for him (after finding the phone, and realising / thinking it was Tom).

- It would explain why he doesn't want to plead guilty (I know in real life people are just ****s, but I get the feeling in this kind of drama there would be a reason).
    - He can't be covering for his wife, because she seems pretty genuinely distraught.
    - Your child is pretty much the only person you would ever do that for, so it was either Tom or Joe.
    - Tom doesn't want to see his mother (there are various possible reasons for this, but it doesn't not fit).
    - There are various weird things going on involving Tom (meeting Danny's father, having the keys to the house of a woman who has 'just disappeared', all those issues with the texts and the laptop).

Joe Miller could still have been meeting Danny, but he may not have killed him.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched the first 2 episodes thinking the second series wouldn't interest me as much as the first, but I was wrong haha!! I noticed some online have criticised it for having simply too much drama going on unlike the first series which of course was more subtle in building up tension and drama, but personally I've really enjoyed the pace of it so far with that crazy ending to the second episode and I'm really intrigued and excited to see where its going to go this series with obviously the trial (I actually didn't see the 'not guilty' plea coming lol, I thought that part of the story would be wrapped up for a new story to take its place) and all this with Hardy's old case and it will be interesting to see what new elements of that plot emerge in the coming weeks.

So many questions at this stage and I'm looking forward to seeing what these secrets that those in the trial might have, although I'm admittedly confused as to what's going on and why the not guilty plea, the suggestion that it was actually his son and that he was covering up for him is an interesting one for sure, though I'm not sure he'd risk the real truth (if that is indeed the real truth) coming out in the not guilty plea and potentially blowing the cover for his son (Kudos if you turn out to be right though!). But we'll have to see and I did think it was particularly twisted that Mark Latimer is now spending time with Tom much like Joe secretly spent time with his own son which of course didn't end well, will be interesting to see what happens there.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Really good to see so many women crucial to the plot. Makes a nice change from a lot of US shows.

Mark Latimer's relationship with Tom clearly isn't anything to worry about - he's merely grieving. The Sandbrook case was really well constructed in the first week, but I found myself less bothered by it during week two. Lee will obviously be innocent for the benefit of the plot, though.

Colman is simply a wonderful, wonderful actress.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    New episode tomorrow.

Watching ITV tonight, the voice-over man said that "a new piece of evidence comes to light and shocks the community". Ooh. Very exciting.

ReputationRep:
    please tell me there's been no spoilers yet, I'm on episode 7 of season 1!

Apparently there's a clue to the culprit in the theme tune, see my other thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3093383

link above apologies for poor lyric rendition :P

Spoiler:
    Show

I'd say it's Danny's mate Tommy because no-one takes an 11-year old boy seriously as a murderer (at least not on TV, cough Venables cough :/) but that seems too obvious. I have thought of bizarre theories like, it was Alec himself, it was his wife, it was the dad Mark or the mum etc.

For a whole I thought it was the vicar due to the theme tune's very Gothic/biblical language

wait a minute the killer isn't identified at the end of season 1?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    I don't know - I think maybe Tom did it, and his father is covering up for him (after finding the phone, and realising / thinking it was Tom).

- It would explain why he doesn't want to plead guilty (I know in real life people are just ****s, but I get the feeling in this kind of drama there would be a reason).
    - He can't be covering for his wife, because she seems pretty genuinely distraught.
    - Your child is pretty much the only person you would ever do that for, so it was either Tom or Joe.
    - Tom doesn't want to see his mother (there are various possible reasons for this, but it doesn't not fit).
    - There are various weird things going on involving Tom (meeting Danny's father, having the keys to the house of a woman who has 'just disappeared', all those issues with the texts and the laptop).

Joe Miller could still have been meeting Danny, but he may not have killed him.
    have they not solved it at the end of season 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    have they not solved it at the end of season 1?
    They say they have - everyone thinks it's Joe Miller.

It probably is Joe Miller, I just think it would be an interesting twist if it turned put to be Tom, and they were wrong. It may be too obvious / crude a route, though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In Gracepoint (the American version of Broadchurch), they made the killer
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Danny's friend Tom.

ReputationRep:
    In Gracepoint (the American version of Broadchurch), they made the killer
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Danny's friend Tom.
    Spoiler:
    Show

too predictable, shown deleting his messages in episode 1.

Destroys the significance of Joe and Tom's relationship. I heard they're making stupid plot twists in series 2 like Joe pleads not guilty and they point the finger on Alec.

UK version, Episode 8 was incredible. Shame I read the spoiler on here last night if I hadn't my heart probably would have stopped a moment.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.